The origins of Storm fans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

Where are Storm fans from?

Victoria
49%
New South Wales
14%
Queensland
10%
New Zealand
2%
England
6%
Somewhere else
18%

Total votes: 49
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote: I'm Victorian born and bred, have never even lived in Rugby League heartland.
Andy want to take you to task on this comment.

If you were born and breed in Victoria.......YOU HAVE lived in League heartland......without Victoria, League doesn't have a heart ;)
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Filthy Teeve
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Born and breed Victorian. That last minute Mark Coyne try in the 93 or 94 SoO got me hooked. Jumped onto the highly successful Gold Coast Giants/Seagulls/Chargers due to my love for the Gold Coast itself (hence a soft spot for the Titans, good win last night). Was thrilled when they announced a local RL team, even if it was in the evil Super League comp. I even entered the 'name the team competition' they held. Unfortunately, and I will always regret this, they did not choose my suggestion for the 'Melbourne Jugganauts'.

AFL number 1 always (Go Blues) but RL is not far behind.

Question: I have always assumed the name 'Storm' came from that competition. Is this correct? Is so, does anyone know who done thunk of that name?
Smoking Is The Leading Cause Of Statistics
Freeze
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'm a proud Kiwi and grew up following the All Blacks (Still do) and after I moved to Melbourne via London (1987) I found there was NO coverage of either Rugby code so I did't follow anything (Can't stand aerial ping pong). When the storm arrived I had Optus cable so I started watching and at the end of the first season my wife (Silkin) brought me a Membership and have only missed attending two Victorian Storm Games since then.  :D :D
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Melbourne born and lived here all of my life.

But I've been a passionate Roos supporter (through the highs in the 90's and the lows now!)

Been to a few Storm games on and off since 2000 (sometimes in the corporate boxes) and then out in the GA.

Went all out and got a Premium membership this year and have started to convert my AFL following friends as well.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

My birthplace & home until I was almost 16 Wigan.Never followed a a particular RL team in OZ,even during an 18 month stint in QLD in the 70's.Had to buy a ticket to Storm's first home game as my membership didn't arrive until the 2nd.Since then the PigPen,(fenceline - Nth terrace) has been my spiritual home  :lol:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Born & bred in Durban, Kwazulu/Natal Province, Republic of South Africa (and VERY PROUD of it :thumbleft:), moved to Melbourne when I was 7, became interested in AFL, followed the Swans (when they were South Melbourne), but lost interest in them when they shifted to Sydney in the early '80s.  Moved to rural Victoria about the same time, didn't really follow any one team until the late '80s when I settled on Geelong (I just loved to watch Gary Ablett play, he was amazing! :D)

Then in 1992, as a curious Victorian, I went to see the RL GF (Brisbane 28-8 St. George). I will never forget THAT try by Steve Renouf - from where Dad & I were sitting, we had a front on view of "The Black Pearl" zooming up the field. If he had jumped the fence & kept running, he would've run right over the top of us! :D :D :D

That, combined with the fact that my western-Sydney born & raised father was a Wests fan (when they were the Magpies), probably planted the RL seed in my life.

Went to Origin in '94 @ the 'G, & loved what I saw. By this time I was becoming very bored with AFL, so I ditched it for RL & have never looked back. I followed Canterbury, mainly because most of my extended family up in the Harbor City do.

But when the Storm came along in 1998, I switched to them as Melbourne was now my home. For the first few years, I only attended home games sporadically, but since becoming a member in 2003, I have been to almost every home game :mrgreen:

Not interested in AFL at all, but I still follow union (staying true to my roots!), football/soccer/world game/whatever you want to call it, and, of course...
THE MIGHTY STORM!!!!!!  :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Victorian ...... but how many times have I been asked if I was from NSW .....
just because I follow the Storm .... grrrrr

Went to the first game and been going ever since ..  :D
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Born Victoria, grew up in Victoria on League due to family playing and coaching it.

Miss the old ABC and Channel 0 days :( of the match of the week and the grand finals.

Followed Parramatta until early 1990's then dropped League, until a Melbourne team was floated.

Registered our interested in late August 1997 regarding membership. From there flew up by accident with the team for the last trail game in early 1998 to have 'T' lean on my seat while reading an article on League and the expansion with Storm and ask what would someone from Melbourne know about League, Then spent the next two hours of the flight taking about 'the war' with those sitting behind me. (still have the boarding pass).

Went to the first game against Illawarra in the pouring rain (an amazing try by Scott Hill saw us get over the line for our first competition points).

And have been a supporters ever since.

Medallion Storm, was taken to the first home game and fall in love with the game from there........just as well as the relationship wouldn't have gone to much further. In fact she rang me on the Tuesday after the first home game asking when the next one was :).

For someone that isn't a sports fan, I value the photo someone took of her with tears in her eyes as we win the 99 Grand Final at Telstra Stadium..
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Tempest
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Born - Melbourne. Raised - Melbourne. Will not be budged from - Melbourne.

Gave up on AFL in the late 80's, started watching League in early '99 because I wanted to know why TC was screaming at the TV set, and, well ... hooked.

;-)
pommy storm
Squall
Squall

storm_rhinos wrote: Actualy we are all not born in vic, i born and lived in Leeds in the UK for 25 years, and I have met several other Leeds/Bradford/Hullemigrants. I now follow the storm as much as my home club i went to see for ten years as well.
Me too, been a Hull K.R. supporter for all my life but now I'm a total Storm supporter, as the missus. would go for Storm if they were ever to play Hull KR in the world club challenge, not likely to happen on Hull KR's part thought!! Still follow the robins via radio coverage on the internet and on forums simular to this but is difficult to have any relationship with the club or its players on the other side of the world

First Storm game was against St George at olympic park in 2005.
When the red, red robin goes bob,bob,bobin'
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

StormFront wrote: Victorian ...... but how many times have I been asked if I was from NSW .....

Went to the first game and been going ever since ..   :D
I am sick of getting asked that question. Even get that from NSW & Qld people who can't believe that anyone in Victoria would support RL.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Surandy wrote:
StormFront wrote: Victorian ...... but how many times have I been asked if I was from NSW .....

I am sick of getting asked that question. Even get that from NSW & Qld people who can't believe that anyone in Victoria would support RL.
Aint it hilarious how they have sooo much confidence in rugby league that they find it hard to believe people from other states think it's great too??  :wink:
Bloody idiots!  :roll:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Tigger wrote:
Surandy wrote:

Aint it hilarious how they have sooo much confidence in rugby league that they find it hard to believe people from other states think it's great too??  :wink:
Bloody idiots!  :roll:
I used to think that too, but then from talking to a few of them I realised that Nein, 2GB, the Telegraph and the rest of the media has just brainwashed them all into believing that RL doesn't exist down here and everyone follows AFL.
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy wrote: I used to think that too, but then from talking to a few of them I realised that Nein, 2GB, the Telegraph and the rest of the media has just brainwashed them all into believing that RL doesn't exist down here and everyone follows AFL.
And if you believe the Melbourne media, they all think the same thing too...
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Tempest wrote: ....I wanted to know why TC was screaming at the TV set....
Me?
Scream at the telly?
You must be thinking of someone else...... :o
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately