Craig Bellamy interview on SEN

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Hey all,

Well Craig has done his first interview on new radio station 1116am SEN today just after 11am.

In the interview he commented on a range of factors which I'll touch on here.

He made mention of the difficulty they've been having recently with finding a training venue. Gosch paddock was resurfaced recently as Storm League players know, also I expect the heavy rains recently would have made it a bit awkward.

He said that the Storm are much better placed in regards to injuries this year compared to 2003, although there was mention made that Billy Slater has only recently commenced running again after his bout of ostitis pubis.

Likely replacements for Marcus Bai on the wing included, Matt King, Dustin Cooper, Luke Dyer or possibly even Billy Slater.

Antonio Kaufusi and Robert Tanielu have been training well.

With regards to my questions to Craig about his contract negotiations he stated that there hasn't been much discussion as yet, he expects to talk to the Storm about this in the next few weeks. It sounds like his family will remain in Brisbane regardless until his daughter at least finishes her secondary schooling, she starts year 11 this year.

The interview along with talkback callers lasted a touch over 10 minutes. I had heaps more questions I wanted to ask but alas I wasn't given the opportunity. I'm sending an email to the club to follow up on a couple of other points and hopefully he'll respond to that.

Surandy (aka Andrew from Williamstown)
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

According to Craig Bellamy Robert Tanielu has "trained the house down", Alex Chan has been training well and Antonio Kaufusi is a lot fitter than last year he is shaping up as being a good front rower and Craig expects him to get a few games for the Storm this year.

As I've mentioned above, Billy Slater has only recently resumed running due to a bout of ostitis pubis which he has had since July/August 2003. He looks like he could miss the first couple of rounds.

The new signings will get a run in the practice matches to try and help Craig decide on the starting squad. Luke Dyer and Steve Turner were mentioned specifically.

Surandy
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I had two questions but i only got ask the one!!!!.

Bloody Kevin Bartlett
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
storm007
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Thanks for the short run down on the interview as there wsa no way Ic ould have listerned to it .
Everybody hates us
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I spoke and asked a few question but the interesting thing was the lack of calls who wanted to speak to the coach. The lady said she thought they might have got more callers. :?:
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I didn't know it was on until now... damn
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Everybody hates us wrote:I spoke and asked a few question but the interesting thing was the lack of calls who wanted to speak to the coach. The lady said she thought they might have got more callers. :?:

The thing is that it was at an awful time when people are at work!!!!.

Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Everybody hates us wrote:I spoke and asked a few question but the interesting thing was the lack of calls who wanted to speak to the coach. The lady said she thought they might have got more callers. :?:
Who were you? I rang the second I heard KB announce Craig Bellamy.

I actually taped the interview, I'd promised some people that I'd post a rundown of what Craig had to say. I didn't realise I sound so crap on the radio. :wink:

Steaming Stormer: I did post on here that the interview would on this morning, I even put the time. I was actually surprised that it started pretty much spot on time. I nearly rang KB back after the interview when he was running down the Superbowl just because the scores were nil all at quarter time. What an idiot!!! Is he related to peanut brain at all?

AAS: I was lucky in timing as I'd organised to bring my RDO forward from this Friday to today in order to watch the Superbowl. Who were you? I could easily have asked 50 questions, I actually had some written down ready to ask but only got the two in.

Surandy
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy wrote:
Who were you? I rang the second I heard KB announce Craig Bellamy.

I actually taped the interview, I'd promised some people that I'd post a rundown of what Craig had to say. I didn't realise I sound so crap on the radio. :wink:

Steaming Stormer: I did post on here that the interview would on this morning, I even put the time. I was actually surprised that it started pretty much spot on time. I nearly rang KB back after the interview when he was running down the Superbowl just because the scores were nil all at quarter time. What an idiot!!! Is he related to peanut brain at all?

AAS: I was lucky in timing as I'd organised to bring my RDO forward from this Friday to today in order to watch the Superbowl. Who were you? I could easily have asked 50 questions, I actually had some written down ready to ask but only got the two in.

Surandy
I was Jason From Pakenham

AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy,

Your e-mail was read out today on KB's show. and another caller about 9:15am actually thanks SEN for putting craig bellamy on. And he got on air too.

Everybody hates us
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I rang and asked the questions about who is going to relace Mr Bai and how the forwards are going. I was also going to ask them to allocate 1/2 an hour once a week so the tens of thousands of Storm supporters could listen but they cut me off.
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Maybe a proposal to the Storm and the NRL about a hour long program about rugby league and see how much it costs.

I am happy with an hour program than no programs at all.

I don't know how to approach both but i would like to know?

Anyone interested?!!!!.

Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

AAS wrote:Surandy,

Your e-mail was read out today on KB's show. and another caller about 9:15am actually thanks SEN for putting craig bellamy on. And he got on air too.
Seriously? Damn, did KB have anything to say about my email or did he just read it out and move on to the next topic?

Here's the full email that I sent last night:
Hello Kevin,

I rang in today and spoke to Craig Bellamy, but I had been listening earlier to your conversation with Patrick Smith(?) regarding the popularity of grid iron in Australia.

Patrick mentioned that the popularity seemed to have been in decline for about 10 years now. Whilst I agreed with that comment I had wanted to say that I believe the reason for this is that it coincides roughly with about the time that NFL, excluding the superbowl, ceased being shown on Free To Air TV.

I also think that part of the reason that Rugby League and Melbourne Storm aren't more popular is due to the lack of exposure the games get on Free To Air. Channel Nein only televised 4 Melbourne Storm games in 2003, 3 of those were on after midnight. Since Channel Nein stopped showing regular games at decent times the home crowd numbers have dropped.

Funnily enough the only reason I was able to listen to the Craig Bellamy interview and actually call in to talk to him was because about 4 weeks ago I had organised the day off work so I could watch the Superbowl. Then on Friday last week I found out that Craig Bellamy would be interviewed on your show this morning.

On a personal note are you a fan of any sports besides AFL?

Andrew (from Williamstown)
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

CHEECKY BUGGER!!!!!.

DID THE GRIDIRON CRAP BUT NOT THE CHANNEL nine stuff!!!.

Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I figured that might have been the case, that's why I posted my email on here to see if he read the whole lot out.

Did he make any comments on the email or did he just read it out and leave it go at that?