Storm in Panic Mode...

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Stubbsie
Squall
Squall

Storm in panic mode
By Steve Mascord
September 08, 2006

MELBOURNE'S premiership campaign didn't just hit a hurdle yesterday. It tripped over one as three players failed to finish training.

At the end of a week which saw the Storm presented with the JJ Giltinan Shield before scooping the pool at the Dally Ms, prop Ben Cross suffered a "panic attack" when he stumbled at training and his finals campaign flashed before his eyes.

Further injuries to centre Greg Inglis (Achilles tendon) and prop Brett White (hamstring) have thrown the final make-up of the minor premier's side to play Parramatta on Sunday into confusion.

"Ben Cross tripped over a low hurdle when they were doing some running drills and wrenched his hip a little," head physiotherapist Mary Toomey said.

"I guess it is an acute injury. He was sore and had a panic attack but I don't think he's too bad."

Like Cross, Inglis and White trained for only 40 minutes at Princes Park and will be checked this morning while their fit team-mates have a day off.

For the time being, coach Craig Bellamy is sticking with a 20-man squad for the fourth qualifying final.

Toomey said Inglis was only expected to train for around three-quarters of an hour yesterday.

'He's of concern but not that big a concern," she said.

White pushed himself by doing weights and wrestling in too short

a period, aggravating a hamstring.

"He should improve - we'll wait and see how he is in a couple of days," said Toomey.

The Eels' only worry ahead of the fourth qualifying final was lock Glenn Morrison (virus), who was well on the way to recovery yesterday. Wade McKinnon and Luke O'Dwyer will travel with the squad after missing out on selection in coach Jason Taylor's top 17.

Canberra is another side to be struck by ill-fortune, an injured spleen ruling out winger Craig Frawley for the rest of the season.

Marshall Chalk has been promoted from a five-man bench for tomorrow's third qualifying final against the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium.

The finals series opener between Newcastle and Manly tonight has already been hit by injury, David Seage starting at fullback for Newcastle's

Milton Thaiday (ankles). Daniel Abraham and Todd Lowrie are omitted.

DECORATED English referee Russell Smith wants to stay in Australia after announcing his retirement yesterday.

"I've loved being in Australia," said Smith. "It would be great if I could continue to have some involvement in the game going forward but certainly I've reached the stage where it's time to retire from on-field duties."
[b][size=40px][url=http://www.nrlant.com]NRL RANT FORUM CLICK TO JOIN![/url][/size][/b]

[url=http://nrlrant.jconserv.net/index.php][img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/Aaron_69/NrlRant69.jpg[/img][/url]
lotti

stubbsie sorry but they've been declared fit to play.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I trust Mary and her team to get teh team on the field in the best possible shape like they do week in and week out this year, Go Mary...
I am back again.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Love the headline tho - panic mode  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Tigger wrote: Love the headline tho - panic mode  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve Mascord = knee jerk journalism  ;D
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields