why the storm??

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
pommy storm
Squall
Squall

as a new supporter of Melbourne Storm :D i would be interested to know if any other names for the team where thought of when the franchise was introduced and why'the storm' was chosen along with the purple playing strip. Was this forced upon the team by 'the powers that be'!!!???
When the red, red robin goes bob,bob,bobin'
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

From what a friend has told me, the club had a naming competition through the Herald Sun newspaper prior to the name being announced. His entry was the Melbourne Juggernaughts (something about his desire to yell 'Carn the Jugs!).

I would have little doubt however that the outcome of the competition was well known prior to it's commencement. Clubs leave little to chance when it comes to the financial success of a clubs identity!
yakstorm
Squall
Squall

The purple was never meant to be a prominent colour when the Storm where being put together.  More or less, the Storm were going to adopt the colours of most Victorian sports teams which were Navy Blue, White and a bit of Gold, however in an effort to 'jazz' up the jersey a bit, they added purple to add what they called 'colour depth' to the strip.

Purple remained one of the lesser represented colours in the strip till Fila was sick of the poor selling yellow away strip, so created a purple lightning bolt one.  When Canterbury took over the apparel contract, they made the purple more prominant, and Reebok have seemed to have just taken that one step further especially if you look at most of the 2006 gear.

As for other names for the club...not sure what else where considered...

The ARL wanted their Victorian team called the Melbourne Mavericks....
[url=http://"http://www.kangarooarmy.com"][img]http://www.kangarooarmy.com/bay331.gif[/img][/url]
lotti

Melbourne Storm sounds better, also Melbourne has had some pretty fierce storms.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I have in the past been pretty insecure about the name "Storm" - was it some sly jibe by the Sydney Establishment about Melbournes' famed fickle weather?

Partly, it's also the fact that "Storm" is one of those wishy-washy kinda names - not based at all on a creature or figure of any sort. Sure we have StormMan - an abnormally bulging specimen of the masked variety! Does he even have special powers? Obviously Rugby Union haven't learnt anything in marketing at all - "Western FORCE" - what the?
lotti

what the 4 seasons in one day weather.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Yep - that one! I get particularly touchy about that subject. Personally, I love Melbourne's weather - never boring - and less rain than Sydney! :)

As for the Western Force, I just looked at their website, and they've made a curious marketing strategy - the logo and identity of the team appears to be the same logo as Rugby WA - a black swan with wings taking the shape of a ball. Surely you'd want a team logo that matched the name? A swan in a tizzy? Almost as logical as an anchor for a logo!
Silkin
Squall
Squall

I realy dont know why you guys seem to have a problem with Purple  * shakes Head *

There are Purple tones  in storm clouds. Personally I prefer a bit of purple ( a royal Colour) to the yellow.
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

I don't mind the purple if used accordingly. It adds character to the navy blue but not when it's an all out purple like the old Fila jersey or the old storm website around 2001-2002 IIRC.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Buzz wrote: I have in the past been pretty insecure about the name "Storm" - was it some sly jibe by the Sydney Establishment about Melbournes' famed fickle weather?

Partly, it's also the fact that "Storm" is one of those wishy-washy kinda names - not based at all on a creature or figure of any sort. Sure we have StormMan - an abnormally bulging specimen of the masked variety! Does he even have special powers? Obviously Rugby Union haven't learnt anything in marketing at all - "Western FORCE" - what the?
Can't think of many 'creatures' that don't turn & run or take cover from the ferocity of a Storm  :lol:
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

PD wrote:
Buzz wrote: I have in the past been pretty insecure about the name "Storm" - was it some sly jibe by the Sydney Establishment about Melbournes' famed fickle weather?

Can't think of many 'creatures' that don't turn & run or take cover from the ferocity of a Storm :lol:
And it's always good when we rain on "their" parade. ;)
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Buzz wrote: Partly, it's also the fact that "Storm" is one of those wishy-washy kinda names - not based at all on a creature or figure of any sort.
And I believe that we are the only team in the NRL who's second part of the name does not end with an 's'.......unless your a Bulldogs fan, in that case, we are the Melbourne Storms.  At least that's what they were calling us and putting up on the scoreboard when we snapped them at the Showground last year.

:faroah:
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

From what I've been told the colour purple is for passion ;) ;)
Looney
Squall
Squall

I voted for the Melb Mavericks in that comp.

it had a nice ring to it.