Kearns announces retirement today.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Would be happy with 12,000 this week.Playing an inform Tigers & farewelling a club champion there should be a good crowd.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

mb09 wrote:Would be happy with 12,000 this week.Playing an inform Tigers & farewelling a club champion there should be a good crowd.
I don't think we'll get that many, hope we get more than 9,950 so we can beat last year's home crowd average, but would prefer at least 11,000 to give Robbie a good home town send off.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Wouldn't be surprised if Cam Smith is annointed captain next year.

I'll miss seeing possibly the leanest front rower to ever play the modern game of rugby league and mistaking him for a center whenever he takes the field :lol:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Will be a good night, Storm will come out absolutely firing for this one.
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo! :cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry:

:faroah:
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Kearns' last crack at title Herald Sun, Karl deKroo
Kearns' last crack at title
Karl deKroo
23aug05

STORM skipper Robbie Kearns last night revealed his burning desire to end his career with a fairytale title.

Melbourne's longest-serving and, arguably greatest forward, announced yesterday he planned to retire at the end of the year.

The foundation Storm prop, who began his career with Cronulla in 1992, will turn 34 in December.

Kearns said he was tempted by a lucrative offer from English Super League champion Leeds, but decided an off-field role with Storm was the smarter option.

Kearns said he was looking forward to spending more time with wife Jackie and children, Bobby, 7, Kai, 5 and Kalarni, 3, but before he hangs up the boots, he has some unfinished business.

"Missing the 1999 grand final (through injury) is one of my biggest disappointments," Kearns said.

"I have been very fortunate to have represented my country, to have played State-of-Origin, the one thing missing is a premiership ring. I will be doing everything I can to try and set the record straight."

After spending the weekend tossing up his future, Kearns reached his decision early yesterday. He informed teammates at a morning team meeting.

"I guess we knew it was not that far away, but still when you hear it, it's a bit of a shock," fellow Storm foundation player Matt Geyer said.

"It is definitely the end of an era. I played with him in Perth as well so it will be strange not having him out there next year.

"I have no doubt he could have played on but he has made the decision to go out on top and you have to respect that."

Five-eighth Scott Hill will join Geyer in 2006 as the only remaining members of Storm's foundation side.

Kearns said he didn't want to spark a "Do it for Kearnsy" campaign leading into the finals.

"That can't be our motivation," Kearns said.

"If we are going to make an impact in the finals, every player has to do it for themselves and for the club.

"But, from a personal point of view, I can see the chance for the fairytale, definitely.

"We are a very capable side and on our day we can match it with anyone.

"If we turn up with the right attitude, we are right up there. We can give it a real shake."

Injury free and in form, Kearns said he had seriously considering playing on.

He received offers from several Sydney-based NRL clubs and a massive offer from Leeds.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron also insisted room would have been made on Melbourne's roster had Kearns wanted one more season.

"There would have been a spot, but at 33, we really wanted to set Robbie up for life at 43," Waldron said.

"He will fulfil a number of roles over the next three years. He will assist (coach) Craig Bellamy, particularly with the young forwards.

"He will have a ambassadorial role when Origin comes to town next year and he will also do some marketing and development work.

"It was really important for this club to retain such a quality guy."

Storm coach Craig Bellamy said Kearns would be remembered as one of the most courageous players of his generation.

"The way he has managed to keep going in the position he plays and to maintain such a high standard for so long is quite remarkable," Bellamy said. "He is extremely durable and we are really going to miss him.

"Kearnsy's greatest trait is that you don't really notice him when we win, he just goes out and does his job.

"But when we lose he is always our best player. That is a real good sign of a great leader and a great player."
The last two lines... Whoa, exactly what most of us here think and our MVP points prove that! :D
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Smith most likely Herald Sun, Karl deKroo
Smith most likely
Karl deKroo
23aug05

QUEENSLAND State-of-Origin hooker Cameron Smith is likely to be the club's next captain after Robbie Kearns' retirement.

Smith, 22, has long been considered captaincy material.

He was tipped to take over from Stephen Kearney this year, before coach Craig Bellamy decided to give Kearns a second tilt at the top job.

Kearns said the club was blessed with a number of strong leadership options.

"It isn't my decision, obviously, but I know what Craig looks for in a leader and there are plenty of guys at the club that could do a great job," Kearns said.

PENRITH prop Ben Ross has been charged by the NRL judiciary for pushing referee Shayne Hayne.

Ross was charged with grade one contrary conduct after he pushed Hayne in Penrith's last-gasp win over Brisbane at Penrith Stadium on Sunday.

The incident came in the 59th minute with Penrith defending and Brisbane centre Brent Tate in possession.

Ross is likely to tell the NRL that he will fight the charge.

Souths winger Luke MacDougall's season is almost certainly over after he was charged with a grade five dangerous throw on Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello.

MacDougall is likely to plead guilty and receive a 10-match ban.

MacDougall was previously banned this year for a dangerous throw on Storm five-eighth Scott Hill.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Kearns a true Storm great Herald Sun, AAP
Kearns a true Storm great

23aug05

FOUNDING Storm executive director John Ribot says Robbie Kearns will be remembered as one of the club's all-time greats.

Signed by Ribot from the Perth Reds in 1998, Kearns has had two stints as captain and has helped forge a culture of success at Storm.

"Robbie has been a mighty player for the club," Ribot said. "If he has played a poor game, I don't remember it.

"For a guy of his size, to play the way he does for so long it's a great achievement.

"If he was racing at weight-for-age he would be just about unbeatable."

Together with Rodney Howe, Tawera Nikau and Glenn Lazarus, Kearns was the driving force behind Storm's stunning early success.

He was rewarded with representative honours for Australia and New South Wales, but long-time teammate Matt Geyer said Kearns' true value was off the field.

"He is a just a great guy and a great character," Geyer said.

"He is a people person and he is the kind of guy who pulls teams together.

"We used to call him (former Sale of the Century host) Glen Ridge because he asks so many questions.

"He loves a chat and he is as comfortable talking to the Premier as he is talking to a first-year player. He is always available."

Kearns said his sacking as captain by then coach Mark Murray in 2001 had been the low-light of his career, but the decision didn't scar him.

"If anything he grew stronger," Ribot said.

"It was very tough for him, but he copped it on the chin and got on with life."

Kearns' wife Jackie said she was looking forward to having her husband home on weekends.

"It has been 16 years without weekends," Jackie said with a smile.

"But now he has made the decision it feels a bit strange.

"We have never known it any other way. I might get sick of him."

Kearns said he was thrilled that an off-field role with Storm would enable him to stay in Melbourne.

"Jackie and the kids are really settled now and it is our home," Kearns said. "We didn't want to go anywhere."
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Surandy wrote:My favorite memory of Robbie Kearns would have to be his first game back from injury after Muppet stripped him of the captaincy.

When Kearnsy got that try and OP just erupted! I swear the crowd was still cheering him 5 minutes later.

I'm still cheering it
:D
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
lotti

with Orford going to Manly next year, Smith and Geyer are in the running to be Captain.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Won't be Geyer.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Smith is a certainty for the captaincy.
Allykat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

i'm sad :(

i want to give him a card :(
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/allyz.jpg[/img]
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

i'd say chances are i will cry on saturday come about 7.20.
im such a sap :(
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

StormGurlDani wrote:i'd say chances are i will cry on saturday come about 7.20.
im such a sap :(
i dont blame you at all.

its will indeed be a sad day....happy(if we win) but sad at the same time.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]