Round 20 - Storm vs Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
SunshineCoastStormer
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Brilliant 80 minute performance. Especiallt defensively but there war lots of great attack too…

Hard to single out players but Grant Andersen has got to be one of the most improved players on the NRL. Hope his last play injury isn’t too serious.

Forwards stood up, spine excellent off the back of it and out edges were electric.

Well done - fantastic
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:05 pm Munster will regularly have 7 Missed Tackles, even when fully fit. I would hate to disrupt something working so well to accommodate a partially fit star player (who honestly can be white hot or ice cold). What do we gain from that at this stage?

His missed tackles only tell part of the story too. His decision making has dropped off and he routinely comes up out of the line which put pressure on his outside men.

He’s going to take a lot of pressure off Jahrome both as a play maker and kicker but it’s going to be an adjustment having him back.
SunshineCoastStormer
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:25 pm
yourhero wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:05 pm Munster will regularly have 7 Missed Tackles, even when fully fit. I would hate to disrupt something working so well to accommodate a partially fit star player (who honestly can be white hot or ice cold). What do we gain from that at this stage?

His missed tackles only tell part of the story too. His decision making has dropped off and he routinely comes up out of the line which put pressure on his outside men.

He’s going to take a lot of pressure off Jahrome both as a play maker and kicker but it’s going to be an adjustment having him back.
I would take his 2024 form with a pinch of salt. Her not been fit all year. If he’s fit, he plays and will make a huge difference, especially in tight/final games…I like Wishart but Munster is different gravy
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jeez I was rock hard watching that. Super stars sitting out from injury and our boys turned up. Playing against a strong stacked roosters team and really putting in for the full 80.

Howarth is finding his groove, give him another 5 years now
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Papenhuyzen - A few bright spots but still looks off the boil, I understand he is still building but with Sua waiting in the wings I hope he finds his best soon.

Warbrick - A few good runs but still just looks a liability to me, at full strength he doesn’t make the 17. Depth player at best

Meaney - See above, really irritated me with his play tonight, I’m not sure what CB sees with him in the centres, wing or nothing for me.

Howarth - What a beast, not sure why he was held back so long but he is a star, love everything about his game, lacks a bit of lateral movement but other than that he is a fantastic prospect.

Anderson - Had that career game tonight, hope his injury isn’t too bad.

Wishart - Definitely showing he is more than just a fill in, more a work horse 5/8 than a creative one, does a lot of the dirty stuff and does it well, very happy with his form in Munny’s absence.

Hughes - Was his usual solid self, is the orchestrator of this symphony.

Tui - Better, loved his first stint and showed a lot more controlled aggression tonight, keep it up.

Grant - Bounced back in a big way, what a knock, guy was everywhere on both sides of the ball, simplified his game and looked world class.

King - Solid without being spectacular, shame that try off his kick was chalked off but you know what you’ll get with Kingy.

Blore - This guy, absolutely love him. No nonsense workhorse who just grinds and grinds and grinds, never shirks any work and could be anything, what a pick up.

Katoa - Bit sloppy from him tonight, few errors and 6 missed tackles, but he has been one of our best all year and had a bit of a quiet one, he will be back.

Loiero - Great game, was so physical in that opening exchange, dominating players and really showed what he is capable of, would love that level every week.

Sua - 3 minutes and showed the world why he is too good for the bench, guy is that X factor that every team needs, snapping at Pap’s heels.

Lazarus - Solid debut, didn’t get a lot of time or touches but looked like he fit in, would love to see more of him.

Macca - Bad error but was otherwise solid, great leg speed and always does everything full tilt

Chan - Bonehead play to get binned but liked his aggression besides that, probably needs a bit more time to get up to NRL level.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Katoa was still excellent mate. Stats don’t always tell the story. Katoa was a handful on both sides of the ball yet again. Always had his hand up for a tough carry and was stinging with his contact.

All missed tackles aren’t the same and Katoa’s missed tackles weren’t costly and didn’t stand out significantly on first watch.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And Chan was pretty unlucky with that sinbinning
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

To be honest the drop ball from Katoa which led to the Roosters first try stood out in my mind when writing his review, maybe because the left edge was so good tonight too I didn’t notice him as much, definitely a Katoa fan though.

Chan might be in some trouble, it was a flush shoulder right in the moosh, probably get a week or 2.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:15 pm To be honest the drop ball from Katoa which led to the Roosters first try stood out in my mind
It was a poor pass from King. Katoa had to stop in his run and try to reach back to pull it in.

We then defended the Roosters set, repeat set, long drop out plus another near full set before they score. To hold that against Katoa is odd.
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:53 pm
Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:15 pm To be honest the drop ball from Katoa which led to the Roosters first try stood out in my mind
It was a poor pass from King. Katoa had to stop in his run and try to reach back to pull it in.

We then defended the Roosters set, repeat set, long drop out plus another near full set before they score. To hold that against Katoa is odd.
When one guy misses as much tackles as the rest of the back row AND the entire bench COMBINED then yeah, I’ll call him out for a below average game.

Odd that you are so offended that I’m not raving about what a game he played, not even in his top dozen efforts for us this year, again, a big fan but it was not his night.
SunshineCoastStormer
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:09 pm And Chan was pretty unlucky with that sinbinning
I agree he was 2nd man in and the first low tackler caused Radley to drop just before Chan. Unlucky hope he avoids a ban.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

We gain dead set zero. Unfortunately the club selects their favourites
Position - Left right out or hung out to dry
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chan was put on report before the sin bin too I think. Not sure what for. Think he is likely to be suspended for sin bin incident, especially given he wears purple.

Be interesting to see what happens to Meaney for the incident with Sua'ali'i. Was unlucky Sua'ali'i fumbled the ball and then jumped so high in the air. Given it was late in the tackle count I thought at the time that penalty might have changed the game.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:59 pm
yourhero wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:53 pm

When one guy misses as much tackles as the rest of the back row AND the entire bench COMBINED then yeah, I’ll call him out for a below average game.

Odd that you are so offended that I’m not raving about what a game he played, not even in his top dozen efforts for us this year, again, a big fan but it was not his night.
The thing with Katoa too is that we mainly played to the other side which meant he wasn't getting the usual opportunities. And fair enough though, we had a huge mismatch with Howarth on Tupinia and we exploited it brilliantly.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also want to highlight how we bullied them in the last 3mins coming out of in-goal

Didn't need to but happy we did