Round 12 - Sea Eagles vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Daeman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 pm
Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:16 pm
TC wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:08 pm
The comment you reacted to wasn't an insult, the comment you reacted with was. Simple really.
Scooter is a big boy, doesn’t need you to hold his hand TC.

Again I’m not sure why if you simply don’t like my opinion (which is pretty obvious) you don’t just keep scrolling, stop interacting with me if I bother you so much. You just lurk and pounce when you can get a cheap shot in.
This is a forum no? People are free to disagree with you or call you out if you're dribbling.
You can do whatever you want champ.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:16 pm
TC wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:08 pm
Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:02 pm

Do you ever contribute anything besides trying to be funny and failing spectacularly at others expenses?

This is a forum no? I like how you ignore someone targeting me but call out my reaction ::)
The comment you reacted to wasn't an insult, the comment you reacted with was. Simple really.
Scooter is a big boy, doesn’t need you to hold his hand TC.

Again I’m not sure why if you simply don’t like my opinion (which is pretty obvious) you don’t just keep scrolling, stop interacting with me if I bother you so much. You just lurk and pounce when you can get a cheap shot in.
There was a touch of sarcasm to my comment re: Anderson being responsible for the try. Looks like my comment blew the forum up.
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Haha I know there was Scooter, which is why I fired back the way I did, guys like you who actually keep it about footy I enjoy interacting with, it’s the lurkers who offer no footy opinions that I can’t stand.

Anyway back to the footy, we will finish the bye week on 20 points out of a possible 26, a good return and one we should be relatively pleased with, although there is a feeling of some luck and over achieving masking a bigger problem fundamentally.

Looking ahead to the Knights game, we have a nice spell here and I think we really need the freshen up. Some of the pressing issues we need to address:

- If Papenhuyzen returns, where does he play? We need to find a place for both he and Sua Fa’alogo in the 13, does one of them shift to 5/8 until Munster returns? Do we stick with Wishart and use one off the bench?

- Warbrick has injured his groin supposedly and could be looking at time on the sidelines, do we end the Meaney at centre experiment and shift him back to the wing spot and try to fill that centre spot with a new player? Howarth, Anderson, Seve, Young T, Bradley? What’s the play?

- Are we seeing Grant overplaying his game again like last season? I feel like the Garlick starting tactic was more to curb this as much as it was to keep Harry fresh, do we revert to this and see if it positively impacts the flow?

- The forwards, particularly the piggies, are an issue, no one is bending the line, no one is making enough metres, no one is impacting enough from the pine. I’m happy enough with the back row, Katoa and Blore are doing enough, and I like Trent off the bench but no one else is playing to the level required. Some tough calls might need to be made with one dimensional players like Tui, Welch and Macca coming into question, even NAS needs to do way more, do we opt for more mobility and aggression like Chan & Howarth?

I hope the guys get away and enjoy the time, we are a bit busted and it has come at a fantastic time, we looked gassed at times against Manly.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:38 pm As per most games this season, all of our poor play, all leaked points and all critical mistakes come from that same edge, how Warbrick and Meaney continue to get picked I’ll never know, hopefully this is the game that CB can’t make anymore excuses.

Both need to be dropped after the bye, no more of this absolute rubbish.

I assume you're talking about the try scored inside Meaney?
Position - Left right out or hung out to dry
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm_M_36 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:43 pm Sea Wiggles coach was complaining about how many times they've had to travel to Queensland haha.Typical NSW flogs!!

And it's so much further from Sydney to QLD than us!

Oh the irony 🙄
Last edited by Bullucked on Sat May 25, 2024 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:00 pm Positives

- Sua Fa’alogo is a player, if he is ever dropped again I will start questioning CB.

- Coaching, I’m sorry, but even the great CB needs to be culpable, why take the 2 when down 6? Someone please explain this to me?

Oh the irony 🙄
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bullucked wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:02 am
Storm_M_36 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:43 pm Sea Wiggles coach was complaining about how many times they've had to travel to Queensland haha.Typical NSW flogs!!

And it's so much further from Sydney to QLD than us!

Oh the irony 🙄

AND, they sold their home game in magic round to QLD!

OH THE IRONY!
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bullucked wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:06 am
Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:38 pm As per most games this season, all of our poor play, all leaked points and all critical mistakes come from that same edge, how Warbrick and Meaney continue to get picked I’ll never know, hopefully this is the game that CB can’t make anymore excuses.

Both need to be dropped after the bye, no more of this absolute rubbish.

I assume you're talking about the try scored inside Meaney?
Or the pathetic U/6 level jersey grabbing by Warbrick and Meaney for Tommy Talau’s try right after, watch that effort back and tell me either of these guys deserve to be in 1st grade.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Post game presser was pretty pointless. No questions to Harry and the important six again call against Welch not brought up at all.
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:41 am Post game presser was pretty pointless. No questions to Harry and the important six again call against Welch not brought up at all.
Shocked they didn’t ask about they 2 we took when 6 down either.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah how is that not brought up at all? Just bizarre from the journos tbh.

I'd also like to know what Bellamy's thoughts are on Meaney's struggles playing a new position. Or why we started slow. At least we know about his thoughts on 5 day turnarounds and that he doesn't know what he's going to do with Sua once Paps returns.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:40 am
Or the pathetic U/6 level jersey grabbing by Warbrick and Meaney for Tommy Talau’s try right after, watch that effort back and tell me either of these guys deserve to be in 1st grade.
Probably not dissimilar to Munsters tackling technique!
When I get a chance to watch the whole game I'll see what you're talking about, only viewed the highlights thus far.

I get the brace and bits with centre and winger bagging when the inside men have not pushed out, this part of the game needs to be more clearly understood. Some people need to stand at the end of the field and watch what occurs with ALL our defence when we get overlapped, and see who don't slide out. (Or go and stand on a wing some day)

I cannot defend poor tackling, worst case scenario the attacking player should fall / run over the top of the defender, no turnstiles.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Are we all generally agreed that the Nick Meaney Centre experiment has failed and is now over ?

Footnote…Nick is clearly a very good footballer and no doubt a very good team mate and I like him in our 17. He’s just not got the skill set, strength or tactical positioning to make Centre his position. He really should be wing with a decent Centre inside him.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we can kind of put up with poor defensive reads as he's learning a new position but he's constantly losing his one on one matchups because he's not strong enough. I don't really think he's added much in attack either outside of having a pretty good workload. He's definitely a winger and his versatility has been pretty overrated while he's been with us.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:48 am Yeah how is that not brought up at all? Just bizarre from the journos tbh.

I'd also like to know what Bellamy's thoughts are on Meaney's struggles playing a new position. Or why we started slow. At least we know about his thoughts on 5 day turnarounds and that he doesn't know what he's going to do with Sua once Paps returns.
"Journos" is a loose term these days. They are pretty average. The commentators on Fox didn't even mention the dubious six again. Not sure if Channel Nine did.

They don't often ask the questions I would expect in the press conferences.