Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Pangai Freakin Junior
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we've already said no to him
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just reading about the Melbourne Rebels going belly up, it’s a shame they weren’t able to leave an impression on the city like the Storm have.

I wonder if there are any decent players in their squad that have settled in Melbourne and would consider a code switch for next season? Possibly a good prop or a centre? Anyone watch them and know much about their players?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:07 pm Just reading about the Melbourne Rebels going belly up, it’s a shame they weren’t able to leave an impression on the city like the Storm have.

I wonder if there are any decent players in their squad that have settled in Melbourne and would consider a code switch for next season? Possibly a good prop or a centre? Anyone watch them and know much about their players?
Christian Welch is friends with a lot of them and housemates with a few maybe he could convince a few to do the switch
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:07 pm Just reading about the Melbourne Rebels going belly up, it’s a shame they weren’t able to leave an impression on the city like the Storm have.

Sadly I am a Rebels member as well as a Storm member. Unlike the Storm the Rebels never had any on field success. The Storm won a premiership in our second season.

The Rebels next week will play our first final ever in Super Rugby Pacific. ( Rebels did play one final during COVID in the five team Super Rugby AU comp where three teams made the finals).

Traditionally there is bigger grassroots RU in Melbourne than RL and there were 23k at the Rebels first game. Unfortunately, with over 10 years of mediocre performances those numbers dropped dramatically.

The Rebels have also produced more Victorian products. A couple of weeks ago the Rebels had four Victorians in the one team as opposed to the 5 Victorians the Storm have had in our history.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In terms of the Rebels better players:
Carter Gordon is a five eighth who is 23 and has played for the Wallabies. His name has been linked recently to the Gold Coast Titans.

Brad Wilkin, who I think lives with Welch. His strength is at the breakdown. So not sure his skills would translate to RL.

Josh Kemeny and Andrew Kellaway have already signed elsewhere for next season.

Pone Fa'amausili is a prop that doesn't mind a run off the back fence. He is a Victorian and I believe also played RL as a junior. Although, would need to improve his endurance to play NRL.

Josh Canham, a tall Victorian, could possibly play in the second row. His strength is at line out though, so again doesn't necessarily translate.

Darby Lancaster, plays on the wing, has a great step and speed. Has previously played for the Aussie 7s team so I assume is contracted by Rugby Australia.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Josh canham was the one who was watching Storm train while I was there a month or 2 ago he came over to talk to Welchy after they were finished
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Hopefully bring over Lukas Ripley as his younger brother was in the SG Ball squad.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

ALX22 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:46 am Hopefully bring over Lukas Ripley as his younger brother was in the SG Ball squad.
He is definitely very talented.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cooper Clarke… signed with Storm’s development program till end of 2026 being chased by other Clubs. What do we know about his potential and therefore whether Storm will look to extend his contract ?
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Storm Spirit wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:34 pm Cooper Clarke… signed with Storm’s development program till end of 2026 being chased by other Clubs. What do we know about his potential and therefore whether Storm will look to extend his contract ?
Under 18 years old and signed for another 2 years after this. Other clubs shouldn't even be allowed to tell him "good morning" let alone try and poach him.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think he's only just signed too, just media noise
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With Rebels getting the axe I would like to see us try get Taniela Tupou. Wishful thinking.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:28 pm With Rebels getting the axe I would like to see us try get Taniela Tupou. Wishful thinking.
Not sure he would have the endurance for rugby league.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:38 pm
nacho wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:28 pm With Rebels getting the axe I would like to see us try get Taniela Tupou. Wishful thinking.
Not sure he would have the endurance for rugby league.
I’d much prefer Rob Leota although I suspect a heap of their better players have contracts in Japan or Europe.

Brad Wilkin seems like the most realistic option given his close friendship with Christian Welch.