Round 10 vs Sharks

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Watch Munster have a best on game in two weeks when origin is played. He just playing within himseld to enusre he is right for the best games.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Warbrick had a good opportunity at that and somehow let it bounce right off his chest. FMD…
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Fitting that a drop from Warbrick ends the game for us.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The leaders of the team have to be better. Short kick off and the two infringements from Harry in crucial moments can’t happen.

Remember the stupid challenge they did on the charge down the other week? It’s the same thing.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Grant sinbin took our heads and fans out of the match. Since then we've been fighting back into it and also fighting a fresh, big strong sharks bench. Mismatches aplenty.

Wishart stepped up in Hughes absence so that's a non issue.

Sua did just a good of a job as papi minus set pieces so again non issue.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our attack on the Sharks line was pure trash. Never looked likely or ever even fired a shot… I can’t remember a single decent backline movement.

Happy to give the Sharks credit where it is due - like their ruck who I thought won convincingly - but their goal line defence was made to look good by our atrocious attack.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

That shit was just filthy
Ray Traylor
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

A couple of bad 'get even' calls just underlined how awful the sin bin was. Probably didn't deserve to win, but there were some good performances out there....just would have been nice to not fall to pieces at certain stages of the game. Certainly would have preferred to watch it with both teams at full strength and without the rubbish from the ref and bunker - but that's how footy goes.
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sua was quiet in the 2nd half, showed some lovely touches in the first half. Anderson tried hard but still looks out of his depth, Reimis Meaney Warbrick trash, Munster showed up for one play, Wishart all heart, tried so hard.

Forwards played well against a very good pack, particularly Katoa and Blore again who are turning into elite backrowers. Thought the bench were weak again, Nelson Macca and Tui had a few good touches but the Sharks bench rolled us in the same period. Howarth looked sharp in the 5 minutes he got, not sure why CB held him back so long when we looked dead on our feet.

Probably a loss that’s been coming, scraped some lucky ones and we got found out against a good team, need to be better, Harry made some bad decisions too.

Need to regroup and refocus for Magic Round, hopefully Coates is back and praying Hughes makes a miracle recovery, no coincidence we are 7/7 with Hughes this year, 0/2 without him.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

First half we were dudded by the ref.
Both times we got in front Atkins used soft penalties and 6 agains to get the sharks back in it. The Grant sin bin was a joke.
However the second half was all on us. Stupid play, Grant giving dumb 6 agains and general poor decision making (Munster's short kick off anyone?)

Thought Wishy did brilliantly. Anderson did his role well, not overly impressed with any of the other back 5. Need more out of King, Nelson, Macca and Blore tonight.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Can someone please tell me why we let Atkinson go? Didn't make sense at the time and still doesn't. If I recall we kept Johns and Nikorima and flicked him.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Lucas wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:08 pm Can someone please tell me why we let Atkinson go? Didn't make sense at the time and still doesn't. If I recall we kept Johns and Nikorima and flicked him.
It was the other Atkins who was a bigger thorn in our side tonight... Although, short drop outs, FMD, WHY?
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Weird performance.

Felt like going into half-time, despite the sin bin and the try, the guys were starting to build and were fighting back but the break came at the wrong time and that emotion went out the window.

Similar problems in attack - bit sideways and a bit clunky. Need to be more direct.

I wouldn’t be worrying too much. The Sharks played well and the Storm will at least get Coates back next week hopefully.
Papenhuyzen23
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Few thoughts post game and 10 rounds in.

Anyone else think Tyran looked great running the ball and taking contact tonight, as a winger or fullback his skills don’t suit that well, but centre? Well there’s an idea, as mentioned earlier he is a really clever footballer when played in positions that can maximise his style, I was harsh on him in his stints on the wing but I think I see a guy who could slot into the centres nicely.

Dropping Meaney is tough as he is very likeable and our goalkicker too but he just doesn’t offer enough and has been found out a few times against better quality teams. Maybe a utility role would suit better or back onto the wing even.

Warbrick needs to go, no if buts or maybes about it, when we are full strength the back 3 should be Paps, Sua and X.

I also think it’s time to give Loiero a spell, he does some ok things work wise but he really stifles the attack, is poor at linking the play and worst of all just has no discipline, he must be the most penalised player in the NRL, and they always prove crucial. He just isn’t good enough for a top side.

Give Jack Howarth more time too, he has some nice edge skills, didn’t look out of place in the All-Stars game against quality players I’m not sure why Bellamy doesn’t rate him. I’ve seen enough from Blore with his footwork, offloads and engine to be a fantastic 13, Bellamy said pre season they see him better as a middle and I tend to agree even though he is great on the edge currently.

I know no one else wants it but Garlick has to give Harry some time off the paddock each game, Grant works himself into the ground to the point he can’t play at peak level for 80, he is so fit but still gasses himself trying to do everything, there’s a reason this tactic was deployed last year and it was very successful, not sure why we went away from it and am all for CB bringing it back. Even at Origin level they use this tactic to great effect.

Would love to see how a line up like this would perform with some time and patience:

1. Ryan PAPENHUYZEN
2. Sua FA’ALOGO
3. Reimis SMITH
4. Tyran WISHART
5. Xavier COATES
6. Cameron MUNSTER
7. Jahrome HUGHES
8. Tui KAMIKAMIKA
9. Harry GRANT (c)
10. Josh KING
11. Jack HOWARTH
12. Eli KATOA
13. Shawn BLORE

14. Bronson GARLICK
15. Christian WELCH
16. Nelson ASOFA-SOLOMONA
17. Joe CHAN

But all that aside, just drop Warbrick and Loiero and I’ll be content :lol:
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Grant Atkins was well out of his depth tonight and should never be allowed to referee another NRL match. Also, how the fk did the ape in the bunker award that try when the Sharks player clearly lost the ball? If the NRL wants people to lose interest in the game, they are doing an outstanding job.
We missed Hughes tonight with his kicking and getting up and about. NAS tried his heart out but couldn't barge his way to a few tries. Hopefully, Coates is back next week and we have a strong win against Parra Doesn't Matter!