Round 7 - Storm vs Warriors

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pretty lucky to get away with that. Plenty to worry about.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Geez, I don’t think we deserved that win. Don’t get me wrong, I’m over the moon to get the win and will take it, but it didn’t look like we wanted badly.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Disappointing to note that some people still feel the need to yell out during the ANZAC ceremony.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:15 pm Disappointing to note that some people still feel the need to yell out during the ANZAC ceremony.
Think about how dumb the average person is. Then remember that 50% of people are dumber than that.

It will happen every year. In every ANZAC Day game. Morons can’t help themselves.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Attack needs work big time. We made zero line breaks all game. Two tries from kicks.

How much better do we look though when Cameron Smith starts running from DH?
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I know we were pretty poor once again, but FFS the refs were worse. What happened to calling held once progress has been stopped by the defense? The number of Warriors offloads that came well after a completed tackle was infuriating... as was the ridiculous early penalty against Welch when he was clearly locked in by the Warriors player in the tackle... and that Warriors 6th tackle (that apparently wasn't) which led to Suli leaving the ball on the deck & the Warriors scoring a try shortly after.

I know it won't happen, but seriously JB needs to be the next to have a spell in QCup. He is a shadow of the player he once was.

And yeah, awesome team selection having Papenhuyzen on the bench for the game instead of Vete. :roll:
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Adam Blair the last three weeks:
Round 5 - 3 Runs - 19 Metres
Round 6 - 6 Runs - 39 Metres
Round 7 - 1 Run - 14 Metres
3 Round total - 10 Runs - 72 Metres

Ken Maumalo tonight:
Round 7 - 28 Runs - 239 Metres
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wallpapering over cracks with these close wins.

First halves the last four weeks have been poor.

If Jesse Bromwich's name was Jack Jones he would be dropped.

Still don't understand Papenhuyzen on the bench. Even with Hughes on one leg for thirty minutes he didn't get a run. He has been on the bench four times and played 13 minutes, 1 minute, 6 minutes and 0 minutes.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 pm [quote=Mattpoet post_id=179296 time=<a href="tel:1556194542">1556194542</a> user_id=1646]
Disappointing to note that some people still feel the need to yell out during the ANZAC ceremony.
Think about how dumb the average person is. Then remember that 50% of people are dumber than that.

It will happen every year. In every ANZAC Day game. Morons can’t help themselves.
[/quote]

The stupidity and lack of respect by some people is very sad , indeed pathetic. There were even worse scenes postmatch over at the G.

As to the game, goodness me it is a different feeling from this day last year. The last four weeks the boys have been very flat.

Nevertheless we are still equal top , and hopefully can aim up at Shark Park next week.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

The 4th bench spot being occupied by papenhuyzen and seve this year is mind boggling. It's such a waste. Surely Vete can be used for 15-20 mins and offer far more than this novelty we have going on at the moment.

Vete was beast mode in the dragons game last year. We need some spark and energy
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Vete, Tino, P.Kaufusi, Stimson - all better bench options than Papenhuyzen surely.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tohu Harris has the same amount of try involvements and line break assists as Brodie Croft.

I really wished it wasn't the case but I don't think he's any good and he's not really doing anything to prove he should be in the team. I'd really love to know what would happen if Drinkwater wasn't injured.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I feel for Croft. We actively don't use him. The captain just keeps going to Munster's side. Over and over again.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:07 am Tohu Harris has the same amount of try involvements and line break assists as Brodie Croft.

I really wished it wasn't the case but I don't think he's any good and he's not really doing anything to prove he should be in the team. I'd really love to know what would happen if Drinkwater wasn't injured.
How much did Croft get the ball? Last play was always to our left and to Munster and if that didn't work then it's off to Croft to put up the cross field bomb. If you ask me, and I know you're not, we're too Munster-centric and he needs to learn the grubber better. So so many times did he go to the line on the last or second last play and everybody comes up to tackle him, and fair enough too as he's such a tough bugger but that then leaves the back field open every time, ideal for a grubber through for JAC.
Would it work swapping sides of the field for Croft and Munster, it would suit their more natural passing sides?

Other than Cameron Smith the only forward who could hold their head high after tonight was Kenny, again. Tui also scores an honourable mention. As much as I l love Finucane he's not doing it for me, I wouldn't even pick him in SOO. Without Cameron Smith were would we be after the last two games...

As others have said, Jesse is a shadow of himself. There was one time in the second half where the Warriors were attacking our left side, Jesse held back, almost went backwards whilst the our outside backs either side of him came forward to make the tackle, odd.

Does Suli and Jahrome speak the same language, communication wasn't their strong point tonight. Jahrome's kick returns, always runs away from his support, easy pickings for the defence.

Suli, Suli Suli Suli. Am I the only one who wants to cover my eyes everytime he goes near the ball?

Like the Bulldogs game, I very much don't think we deserved to win.
Position - Left right out or hung out to dry
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bullucked wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:05 am
blazza18 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:07 am Tohu Harris has the same amount of try involvements and line break assists as Brodie Croft.

How much did Croft get the ball? Last play was always to our left and to Munster and if that didn't work then it's off to Croft to put up the cross field bomb. If you ask me, and I know you're not, we're too Munster-centric and he needs to learn the grubber better. So so many times did he go to the line on the last or second last play and everybody comes up to tackle him, and fair enough too as he's such a tough bugger but that then leaves the back field open every time, ideal for a grubber through for JAC.
Would it work swapping sides of the field for Croft and Munster, it would suit their more natural passing sides?

Other than Cameron Smith the only forward who could hold their head high after tonight was Kenny, again. Tui also scores an honourable mention. As much as I l love Finucane he's not doing it for me, I wouldn't even pick him in SOO. Without Cameron Smith were would we be after the last two games...

As others have said, Jesse is a shadow of himself. There was one time in the second half where the Warriors were attacking our left side, Jesse held back, almost went backwards whilst the our outside backs either side of him came forward to make the tackle, odd.

Does Suli and Jahrome speak the same language, communication wasn't their strong point tonight. Jahrome's kick returns, always runs away from his support, easy pickings for the defence.

Suli, Suli Suli Suli. Am I the only one who wants to cover my eyes everytime he goes near the ball?

Like the Bulldogs game, I very much don't think we deserved to win.
Everything's very sideways and clunky at the moment.

I'd argue Munster's pushing to the left-hand corner a bit too often and it's badly affecting the time and space of the guys outside him.

The other issue with that is while Addo-Carr is freakishly fast he's not that big. If he gets scragged he's over the sideline.

The right-side just isn't firing. There's a real lack of composure there and the guys just aren't on the same page.

Croft isn't the problem. If anything he's made improvements. His kicking is better, he notices space behind the winger and fullback, and he's still backing his running game. He also kicked the match-winning field goal with a bad groin.

The attack needs to be straightened and less focused on the left-hand side. Munster and Croft, if anything, need more ball and quicker. The forwards badly need to sort it out what they're doing to ensure the backs are getting that.