Round 23 - Storm vs Eels

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The more I see of the Chambers tackle the more I think he should definitely challenge it, at least challenge the grading. It’s not a crusher tackle, he doesn’t force his head down, he actually gets in position so Haynes head is out the side. Challenge it
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

He was always going to be charged, the way Channel was going on about after the match. Now he has been he will not get off because the media will go on and on about it like always
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Deadpool wrote:The more I see of the Chambers tackle the more I think he should definitely challenge it, at least challenge the grading. It’s not a crusher tackle, he doesn’t force his head down, he actually gets in position so Haynes head is out the side. Challenge it
Hayne milked it, no doubt.
BUT! It was dangerous and unnecessary. It could easily have gone very wrong.
If it had happened to one of our players we would be (rightly) screaming the house down.

It's a grade three charge and will receive a 50% loading from a prior similar offence in the past two years, plus a 20% loading for a non-similar offence.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
storminghome
Squall
Squall

Great result for us today with Panthers getting beaten by the Knights. Now we just have to win one more game to guarantee top 4 finish
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Let's be honest, Chambers has always tread a fine line when it comes to his decision making in regards to his tackling/physicality and the like and his paying the price now.

If it was a clean skin with no record then you'd def have a crack a challenging and would get off, that said with his past record which he's brought on himself there's no way he'll get off/downgraded and would most likely get an upgrade to 5
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storminghome wrote:Great result for us today with Panthers getting beaten by the Knights. Now we just have to win one more game to guarantee top 4 finish
Certainly a good result for us just as the Rabbits losing was as well but before last night with the injuries/suspension, a top 2 spot was likely and would give us a much better chance. Not so sure now...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:Also in Round 23 - C’mon Broncos and Raiders! (Playing Souffs and Roosters).
Thanks boys!
Monsoon
Monsoon

Pretty happy with the results this weekend, whilst the injuries and suspensions aren’t ideal this time of the year if Cam is fit we will still field a formidable team, and a lot of our depth has played minutes in the top grade too which puts us in good stead, I think we’ll see this 17 against the Titans:

1. Slater
2. Hughes
3. Blair
4. Scott
5. Addo-Carr
6. Munster
7. Croft
8. J.Bromwich
9. Smith (c)
10. Welch
11. Kaufusi
12. Stimson
13. Finucane

14. Kasiano
15. K.Bromwich
16. Glasby
17. Vete
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like that team. Bench is spot on... My only concerns would be putting Blair back on the right hand side of the field and using Hughes on the wing. Defensive combination aside, I don’t think he is big enough.

Craig disagrees and has said before Hughes could play wing/centre, but these days wingers play such an important role in taking the first hit up of your set and need some bulk. JAC is an anomaly but still occasionally gets dominated which makes it hard going for the set.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hughes is apparently probably still a week away.

Likely 21:
1.Slater
2.Olam
3.Blair
4.Scott
5.Addo-Carr
6.Munster
7.Croft
8.J.Bromwich
9.C.Smith
10.Welch
11.F.Kaufusi
12.Stimson
13.Finucane
14.K.Bromwich
15.Glasby
16.Kasiano
17.Kamikamica
18.Jacks
19.Vete
20.Earl/Seve
21.Drinkwater/Timm
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Like Hughes on the wing. Doubt Bellamy does it though. Think we see an Olam/Scott pairing and moving Cheyse inside JAC.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think we’ll be right against the Titans and Panthers with whatever combinations we go for. I would go Blair at right centre, just for his size going up against Konrad Hurrell & Waqa Blake. Olam on the wing but I wouldn’t mind seeing Earl, Seve or Drinkwater get a shot. If Cam doesn’t play Jacks to hooker. And a bench of Glasby, Bromwich, Kasiano & Vete
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stats That Matter - Round 23

melbournestorm.com.au
Fri 17 Aug 2018

Dale Finucane (66 minutes), Jesse Bromwich (56 minutes), Tim Glasby (53 minutes) and Christian Welch (51 minutes) all put in enormous shifts when their team needed them the most. The quartet combined for sizeable metres and were the driving force behind ensuring that although Melbourne were depleted in every way during the second half, their standards and their performance never wavered. The forward pack stood tall, literally.

After the devastating injury to Ryan Hoffman on Sunday it was left to youngster Joe Stimson to step up and fill the veteran's shoes in the second row and he did so brilliantly. The 22-year-old had a team-high 36 tackles, never taking a backwards step. He also had 110 metres for good measure. It was a terrific sign not only for the future but for the rest of the season that Stimson was able to step up when the pressure was on and perform the way he did.

The win over the Eels saw Melbourne return to the top of the NRL ladder, for now anyway. The Roosters will travel to Canberra on Sunday afternoon to try and take it back but for now it is a good position for the men in purple to be in with two weeks left in the season. Craig Bellamy's side must now travel to the Gold Coast next week and host the Panthers the following, win both of those and should certain results go their way, a third successive Minor Premiership is a real possibility.

That is how many men Storm were left with on the bench in the second half - and they also played 10 minutes with 12 men on the field after Cameron Munster was sent to the sin bin. There was a fleeting moment when Tim Glasby stood on the sidelines as the sole player on the interchange but that lasted only moments before Brandon Smith (knee) joined Cameron Smith (back), Suliasi Vunivalu (hamstring) and Nelson Asofa-Solomona (ankle) in the dressing room. This was as gutsy a performance as you will see. After having their hunger questioned last week - the men in purple answered that emphatically on Friday night.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm a little confused by some of the thoughts that Vete offers more than Kasiano... his post contact metres before injury were leading the team I'm pretty sure, and we know he has a dangerous offload. If he can reign that in and time the offloads, he's extremely dangerous. Vete has potential in a go forward role, but gee it's a big call to suggest he offers far more