Round 9 - Dragons vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think B Smith should have been allowed to take some runs from dummy half. There were times that the markers weren't square and Cam didn't run at them (possibly still hurting in his jiblets). With the refs cracking down on ruck infringements it should enable more quick play the balls which we aren't fully able to take advantage of if Smithy is always thinking 2 steps ahead instead of playing what's in front of him sometimes.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Essendon, QPR and to a lesser extent Melbourne Storm, but certainly the refs who fumbled their way through the St Merge v Storm game can all, collectively GAGF and thanks for totally ruining my weekend.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The penalty/no try to JAC, is a rubbish call, but technically correct. It didn't impact the play, but as soon as the pocket ref was calling the penalty, it's prior to the play the ball, so no advantage can be paid. My issue is just how bad the communication between the two refs was... so slow. And the one where Cecchin clearly called first knock on St George, then old mate from 20m away overrules... but the reality is, the momentum it cost us stopped at half time anyway... it was our 2nd half that was atrocious.

Our forwards were completely dominated - we had no go forward, and we had zero control of the ruck speed all day. We didn't bend their line at all, and they ran all over us going the other way. For our starting props to make about 120-130m combined says it all. Finucane in his first game back can hold his head high, but from our pack that's about it. Kafusi didn't hurt us, but he didn't do much either.

Cam was way down too, but again, he was operating off slow play the balls all day. That's also part of why Jacks had no impact, but that's also the thing with Jacks. He does his job, but he doesn't create a lot.

Move on, get a rocket up the pack about where they need to get to for us to challenge this year, and bring on next Saturday night.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I disagree that it was technically correct, regardless of Bellamy's refusal to hammer the officials in the post match presser.

The refs stated "unacceptable play the ball" multiple times. This is used when a defender crowds/otherwise cause the person playing the ball to lose control of it. That loss of control never happened in this instance. Kasiano managed to play the ball perfectly fine. It was a dogsh*t call that cost us a try at a critical point in the match.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Blame the pocket ref for his premature call. Should've just let it go but he was screaming penalty the entire play afterwards. That bad call, the Munster not scoring after the penalty and the punch on Smith that was ignored completely changed the context of the game.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What did everyone think of Olam's debut? I liked what I saw.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Hit to the groin should have been a penalty even if it wasn't intentional - player playing the ball interfered with a marker and prevented him from taking part in play. Personally I'm not convinced it was accidental - and neither are most of the radio jocks today (even the self proclaimed NSW tragics).

Oh, and how the f*ck does Frizelle get a grade one charge for the head slam?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:Hit to the groin should have been a penalty even if it wasn't intentional - player playing the ball interfered with a marker and prevented him from taking part in play. Personally I'm not convinced it was accidental - and neither are most of the radio jocks today (even the self proclaimed NSW tragics).

Apparently Cam elbowed Latimore in the head according to Saints fans.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote: the punch on Smith that was ignored completely
Surely Cam should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute by attacking the player with his genitals :lol:
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

LESStar58 wrote:
TC wrote:Hit to the groin should have been a penalty even if it wasn't intentional - player playing the ball interfered with a marker and prevented him from taking part in play. Personally I'm not convinced it was accidental - and neither are most of the radio jocks today (even the self proclaimed NSW tragics).

These would be the same Stains fans who thought Ainscough's hit on Craig Smith was legal?

Interesting fact: did you know that when playing in the UK, Jamie Ainscough hit Martin Gleeson in the mouth with a swinging arm? Gleeson lost a couple of teeth. A few weeks later, Ainscough developed a very severe arm infection - so severe there was serious talk he might lose it - only to discover that the cause of the infection was a piece of Marty's tooth embedded in the arm. Ultimately it ended his career.

(A mate of mine ran into him in a club a couple of years later and took great delight in pointing out that while a swinging arm to the head had ended Smithy's career, the exact same piece of grubbery had ended Ainscough's as well, and wasn't karma a bitch?)
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:
LESStar58 wrote:

These would be the same Stains fans who thought Ainscough's hit on Craig Smith was legal?

Interesting fact: did you know that when playing in the UK, Jamie Ainscough hit Martin Gleeson in the mouth with a swinging arm? Gleeson lost a couple of teeth. A few weeks later, Ainscough developed a very severe arm infection - so severe there was serious talk he might lose it - only to discover that the cause of the infection was a piece of Marty's tooth embedded in the arm. Ultimately it ended his career.

(A mate of mine ran into him in a club a couple of years later and took great delight in pointing out that while a swinging arm to the head had ended Smithy's career, the exact same piece of grubbery had ended Ainscough's as well, and wasn't karma a bitch?)
Yeah. I've heard that story.

Ainscough played for Saints AND Wigan. You don't get much worse than that
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The game was lost the day the refs were named...storm never had a chance

And if they did they lost it when Nelson lost the ball on the first hit up...on to next week

Bloody wouldn't be surprised if we lost to the Titans either but who ducking knows
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Blame the pocket ref for his premature call. Should've just let it go but he was screaming penalty the entire play afterwards. That bad call, the Munster not scoring after the penalty and the punch on Smith that was ignored completely changed the context of the game.
Munster not scoring was a double movement though - so not a bad call, just bad luck on our end.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bullucked wrote:
blazza18 wrote: the punch on Smith that was ignored completely
Surely Cam should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute by attacking the player with his genitals :lol:
I'm not normally a fan of Blocker Roach, but he had a good point on the NRL Wrap program when he said that Lattimore should have been booked for ball tampering!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Roach does more harm to the English language than every invader ever, put together