Round 4 - Sharks vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
braddo7
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

yourhero wrote:What an all round embarrassment for Rugby League.

Cecchin has a Harrigan-esque ego on him. A sin bin and turnover penalty for what looked to be innocuous backchat? Jesus Christ.
The backchat penalties are a joke. Unless someone legit sprays a ref its play on. Its an emotional game FFS. Even the Lewis send off was soft.
braddo7
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

19 conceded penalties and 15 errors.....Ballamy is going to lose his shite
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

It was a bullshit sinbin on Smith, but it certainly didn't cost us the game.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Danger D wrote:I suspect there will be a number of penalties blown Friday night.
Understatement of the year Danger!
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'm staggered with what I watched tonight. AFL will always be my number 1 game. But last season I've never been so bored with an AFL season. I started watching heaps more NRL. In previous seasons I've only just watched Storm games but I found myself watching heaps of neural games.

And loving it!

What was so wrong with the NRL we were watching last season that it had to change so dramatically?!
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

TC wrote:It was a bullshit sinbin on Smith, but it certainly didn't cost us the game.
Does anyone know what was ACTUALLY SAID?, I wouldn't comment until i knew. They've been quick to march for backchat (and I'm all for it) so it must've been pretty serious. Cam Smith is usually polished with his responses so it might've been pretty acerbic. Maybe it was too intelligent for the ref...
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Can't blame the refs too much (although there were some really shitty calls - JAC penalised in attack for 'back chat' after he showed an ounce of frustration at being called for playing the ball off the mark... I mean is that a penalty really?). They did mention that they were going to be cracking down this year so the players shouldn't have been that surprised I suppose.
Wasn't the refs fault that we let in a try despite having a 13/12 advantage. Wasn't the refs fault that we dropped the ball so many times on plays 1 and 2. Wasn't the refs fault that we had piss poor kick options. Wasn't the refs fault we were taken into touch a bajillion times.
It was a stinker of a game but at the end of the day it would have been a poor showing even if the refs were on point.
braddo7
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I don't blame the refs for the loss.....i blame them, and Greenburg, for making our great game as unwatchable as Union
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I also thought the late tries made us look good last week. The shakes played like they do every time against us, niggle, niggle, niggle and niggle until you get a reaction. They always get a reaction but there was no mature calming head to clam the situation down and with all the penalties we were frustrated into errors, bad reactions and giving away more penalties. I am very concerned:

our 7 is very young and he needs time, our 6 is not a true five-eighth in the sense of the game, our 9 is great but getting on and I have heard rumor he is carrying an ankle injury, our 12 needs to go to the bench or our feeder team he is passed his best and can not play 80 minutes, our 2 is out of from and the whole team seems to be trying to hard which leads to silly errors and no tries.

Last year we lost 4 games this year we have already lost 2. There is a lot of games still to go and an origin period to get through.

Last week all the Storm talked about was who was really to be picked for origin. Maybe we should go back to just worrying about the next game which is the Tigers again, this time with a long flight to New Zealand.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inbetween all the bad I thought we looked far better in the second half before we completely shat the bed.

Tough start to the season when you have inexperienced halves, our hooker and fullback playing below average, winger who likes an error, only half the forward pack putting in. And that’s before errors and penalties every other set. We’ll be fine but jeez Bellamy has got to fuming atm.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just watched the press conference and I'm glad to see Bellyache and Cam own up to that performance rather than putting anything on the refs. I hope that means they all get their heads down at training this week and just put that performance behind them.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

PS I also watched the Sharks presser and had this tidbit from Gallen to share:
Reporter: So what happened at the end of the game with you and Nelson AS?
Galen: He grabbed me from behind and I just turned around and said to him "If you're such a big strong guy how about you grab me from the front next time".

The guy is a joke. The game will be so much better once he's put out to pasture.

PPS How bad is Braith Anasta's commentary? Him, Corey Parker and Justin Hodges are the most biased callers in the box.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Danger D wrote:PS I also watched the Sharks presser and had this tidbit from Gallen to share:
Reporter: So what happened at the end of the game with you and Nelson AS?
Galen: He grabbed me from behind and I just turned around and said to him "If you're such a big strong guy how about you grab me from the front next time".

The guy is a joke. The game will be so much better once he's put out to pasture.
I'm lumped with free to air so missed that piece of wisdom. The only reason NAS grabbed him from behind was to help out / protect his mate. If I remember correctly Gallen had gotten involved in something he didn't need to be.

Are we trying to play more expensively this year, if so it aint yet working. Yeah, I know, captain obvious!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

The problem with playing the sharks is that they play grubby.
They drag us down to their level then beat us with experience.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:
LESStar58 wrote:Refs are killing the game! Put the whistle away FFS!
I mean the players could be more disciplined.
Not just this game but across all games.