Qualifying Final: Storm vs Eels

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

While the ad lib throw it around type games did use to be our achillies heal i think they don't bother us anywhere near as much as what they did a few years back.

I reckon we adapt to it much better these days and will be ready for it. I actually won't mind if Parra throw it around a bit and especially if it's gonna be a bit greasy which is a big chance. They open themselves to making mistakes and we have the blokes ready to pounce if/when they do.

I'm quietly confident about this game but far from cocky. I just think if we play anywhere near our best which I believe we will we're a much better side than them and will get the job done.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was reasonably confident last weekend, that has only grown throughout the week. No way the boys don't put in big time for Smithy's enormous milestone.

The start to the game last week against the Raiders was telling. When our forwards turn it on, we are unstoppable.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Hard not to be confident about this game. We've been killing it all year, have shown good form lately and it's Smithy's milestone game. It's very hard to see us getting our pants pulled down in this one.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Eels are 9th in offloads (we are 11th). Eels are 8th in line breaks (we are 1st). Eels are 12th in tackle breaks (we are 5th). Eels are tied 4th in completion % (we are tied 4th in completion %). Eels are last in general play passes (we are 11th). Eels are 10th in committed errors (we are 11th). Eels are 3rd in penalties conceded (we are 1st).

Think Parra are a poor mans version of us. Structured but with a little less flare.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:
yourhero wrote:Anyone have an update on Brandon Smith?

Been training was meant to play last week but didn't so not sure if he allowed to play finals or not
Sally what do you mean by "not allowed"?
I'm guessing something to do with second tier player rules?[/quote]

Yep that's what I meant ...he never travelled up to QLd. so didn't play...[/quote]

QRL Finals Eligibility Rules

ELIGIBILITY
INTRUST SUPER CUP & FOGS COLTS CHALLENGE
10.8 A player shall be deemed to have participated in a match if that player was nominated on the match sheet
regardless of whether the player takes the field or not.
10.9 A player shall be deemed eligible for the Final Series of the competition in which he played the majority of
games throughout the premiership season.
10.10 There are four Eligibility categories for Final Series qualifications: -
 Level One – NRL Telstra Premiership
 Level Two – NYC / Intrust Super Cup
 Level Three – Local League Competitions
 Level Four – FOGS Colts
10.11 A player will qualify for each Level by having participated in a majority of games throughout the season at any
of these Levels.
10.12 A player who has qualified for a lower level competition finals series shall still be eligible to participate in the
final series of a higher level competition.
10.13 A higher level qualified player shall not be eligible to participate in a lower level final series unless he has failed
to gain selection in the higher level team playing on the same weekend. However, if the higher level team is
still competing but has a bye in their relevant final series then players are eligible to play for the lower level
team provided they have played at least one match for the lower level team during the regular season.
10.14 A higher level qualified player who has failed to gain selection in that team must have participated in a
minimum of two finals series matches to be deemed eligible to continue in lower level finals series, therefore
eliminating any of the previous eligibility rules.
Major Competitions Operations Manual
P a g e | 16
10.15 In the case of a Top 5 Finals Series, if the Minor Premiers progress to the Grand Final by winning the Major
Semi Final, a player shall be deemed eligible to compete in the Grand Final if he participated in that Major
Semi Final.
10.16 A player will not be eligible to play in two levels of a Final Series scheduled on the same weekend except where
the lower level team has played earlier than the higher level team on that weekend.
10.17 If a player has participated in eight (8) games or more (ISC) or six (6) games or more (FOGS Colts not including
State-wide 20s) throughout the season, such player will be deemed eligible to compete in that competition’s
Final Series, regardless of whether the player has played a majority of games in that competition.
10.18 If a player has participated in an equal amount of premiership competition matches in multiple levels of
competitions, the player shall be deemed qualified for the lower level.
10.19 Each Club with a team engaged in any Final Series shall lodge a list of players whom they consider to be eligible
to play in each level by no later than 5.00pm on the second business day following the conclusion of the last
premiership competition match.
10.20 Qualification shall commence at the start of each premiership competition and cease upon the completion of
each competition’s premiership rounds.

Don't know how many games he's played though.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Rochow and Young drop out. Updated team.

1. Billy Slater
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Jordan McLean
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Tohu Harris
13. Dale Finucane

14. Kenny Bromwich
15. Nelson Asofa Solomona
16. Tim Glasby
17. Slade Griffin

18. Jahrome Hughes
20. Joe Stimson
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Wow, is this the first time this season we've fielded a full strength team 1-17? That team looks bloody good on paper and having Stimson and Hughes as backups is just makes me even more confident.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1-16 looks pretty good.
tigerr
Squall
Squall

blazza18 wrote:1-16 looks pretty good.
Oh we get it you don't like Slade.

Build a bridge until he does something like cost us a game.

Bellamy probably sees Hinchcliffe when he squints his eyes
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tigerr wrote:

Sort've got that impression myself :lol:

In all seriousness though Slade will never be one of those fan favourite, cult figure following type of players, but you know that he'll roll up his sleeves and do the hard unflashy stuff giving 110% each time he takes the field. He plays his role which is exactly what Bellyache asks of all his players and what the Storm ethos is all about.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tigerr wrote:

Bellamy probably sees Hinchcliffe when he squints his eyes

That actully made me PMSL
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It isn't about not liking him it's more the lack of role he has. He's just sorta there so Bellamy plays him.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Absolute nonsense. If Bellamy didn't have a certain role for him then he wouldn't be playing him. Especially in a final
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I mean go look at when he's played over the last two months and tell me what role you think he plays.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There could be any number of roles that Bellamy wants him to play that we aren't privy to or aren't overly obvious. It could be as simple as negating a certain player from the oppisition or creating a foil for one of our own.

The point being I'm more than positive the coach has a definitive role he wants Griffin to play regardless of if it's blatantly obvious to anyone else outside of the team.