Round 13 - Melbourne Storm vs. Penrith Panthers

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Team

Cameron Munster Fullback
Suliasi Vunivalu Wing
Cheyse Blair Centre
Ryan Morgan Centre
Marika Koroibete Wing
Blake Green Five-eighth
Tohu Harris Halfback
Jesse Bromwich Prop
Kenny Bromwich Hooker
Jordan McLean Prop
Kevin Proctor Second Row
Tim Glasby Second Row
Dale Finucane Lock

Nelson Asofa-Solomona
Felise Kaufusi
Christian Welch
Young Tonumaipea
Dean Britt
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Storm announcement also has Matt White on the extended bench.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sucks to be a young half or hooker at the storm, getting overlooked by props and second rowers - ouch!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So no Origin players backing up? Is that a new rule?
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Pisstake, surely.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This is why having coaches name their teams on a Tuesday is such a joke. None of them give a shit.

I do hope we rest both our origin players though. Also hope we actually pick a proper hooker and half to come into the team. Time for Bellamy to trust on of our young guys.
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Time to unleash Brodie Croft and Jake Turpin.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Craig is just trying to get Tohu to wear every number this year.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It is pleasing to see Young, Richie K and Curtis S all picked to play this weekend. As is noted , the Tuesday selections bear little resemblance to the teams that run out on the weekend, but at least it means we might be getting some depth in outside backs again.

It is a farce the teams get picked on Tuesday. They do it so the names can be printed in the match day publication. However the AFL teams get picked on Thursday night and they manage to print them in time for Friday nights.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think it is a much better decision to name Tohu and Kenny rather than listing some one to debut and then having to pull them out when Cronk and Smith back up from Origin. To be frank I'm surprised they aren't named to begin with.

I am very interested to see what happens to our backline now that we have some players returning. Kennar and Tonumaipea were IMO both in career best form before they got injured, however neither of them are typical incumbents and the players who have replaced them have done a decent job. Maybe we'll see the two of them play off for the left centre spot until Chambers returns.

It really hits home just how well our fringe players have done this year when I can't think of anyone who hasn't made the most of whatever opportunity they have had in first grade. The credit and praise that they have been receiving is well deserved. I think this is the best prepared we have been coming in to the Origin period, and we have a big opportunity to set up our season.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

So, Cronk is playing Origin... looks like Billy Slater a la 2015 to me. If he plays all Origin games and rests up during Storm games to get his ankle right, I'm going to be filthy.

As Cameron Smith said, Club first then the rest will take care of themselves.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree it is Billy Slater all over again. If Slater had surgery on his shoulder right after the Warriors match when it happened, I believe things would be different now. But no he wanted to play on the MCG and for Queensland. Cameron Smith might say club comes first and in the back of his mind he might believe that, but Queenslanders are different they seem to love their state more than anything.

How about this Cronks plays tonight, hurt ankle again, out for a couple of weeks, but able to play Origin 2.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

You can't seriously blame the players for wanting to play Origin. I honestly think there's a benefit to having some of our guys get a run in Origin. It gives them some huge game experience and I think it helps prepare them more for when club finals begin. That's just my 2c.

Anyway, even if Cronk and Smith get injured or rested I'm sure Tohu would be fine playing in both the 7 and 9 jerseys: at the same time if he has to!

But seriously, how deep is the squad for those positions? Hampton and Griffin were probably the backups earmarked for those spots but since they're injured what other options do we have?
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Isn't Seluini on our roster? He impressed me at the nines and wasn't a bad player at Penrith IIRC.
I'd go with him or Hampton
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote:Isn't Seluini on our roster? He impressed me at the nines and wasn't a bad player at Penrith IIRC.
I'd go with him or Hampton
Seluini trained with us during the pre-season but don't think he actually signed a contract with Storm. Only signed to Sunshine Coast Falcons, could play as part of 2nd tier cap I suppose. I wonder how we are travelling with that considering all our issues with injuries in outside backs.