Rd 5 vs Newcastle

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:
1999 wrote:Forwards in the centres and Bellamy wonders why we can't score a try.
I actually thought Harris was our best back.
Yeah, Harris once again did a great job. Zero missed tackles and 120 metres.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We really lack a quality game breaker. Only one forward went above 100m. The lack of points we have in us is a major concern, I think our attack is worse than last season.

If it wasn't for the Hampton spark off the bench we likely lose this game.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also Smith has thrown more passes that have hit the ground in the last few games than he has his entire career.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kennar was a positive I thought. Handled Uate well for 95% of the game and was one of the few making metres in attack. Was glad he got to score the winner, he deserved it.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Young and Tohu were terrific. Agree with the wraps on Kinnear. Munster gets better each week.
I didn't see anything today that would suggest we are nothing more than a 6th to 10th placed side this season.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Kennar, Hampton, NAS, Tohu and Jesse were our best. Maybe Kenner will replace young. Hasnt played much wing though.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree with everyone, awful for the first 60 mins. Nukecastle scored their second and an injured watching player sitting behind me confidently says there's heaps of time left. I think we've scored one try in 60 mins, how are we gunna score two in 20... Coincidently, Hampton comes on, J Mac (maybe comes back on?) and makes some massive hit ups, like I've never seen from him before (did somebody tell him he's a big guy?) and we start getting a roll on. After our second try, Cronk catches the kick off in the in goal and passes it to someone who charges downfield like a missile and through the first tackle, anyone know who this was? K Brom was great again, can't blame him for his dropped catch, awful pass given to him, kudos to him for catching the second awful pass. Everyone's baying for Greens blood, I think we'd be better if he was given the ball a lot more and cut Cronk out of the play. What's with Proctor trying to do a run-a-round play everytime he gets the ball? A bit of direct, hard and fast running is what's needed.
Position - Left right out or hung out to dry
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The run from the kick off you're talking about was McLean again I believe.

Would not be upset if Kennar played centre inside MK5 next week.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Watch the press conference cams dropped balls explained

From what I saw

A. All the senior players were fighting during the game ...at one point I saw Jesse fighting with cooper then cooper was fighting with cam then after that cam had words with Blake it was just going round in Circles until Ben came on then suddenly something clicked

And

B. Why are our outside backs trying to do work the forwards should be doing.. more the once Young and Richie were moving the ball forward when that work should've been Jesse Kenny Jordan or Kevin's work

And

C. For years we have wanted Will to pass the ball...I've said it a few weeks in a row now WILL JUST HOLD IT
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote:Given the injuries to Blair and Hawkins (saw a quote from Craig yesterday that said they were still injured), I think Craig will play Tohu at centre and Richie on the wing.
I was right about Craig pairing Tohu and Richie. Richie was quite good, particularly with his enthusiasm in defence.

Agree with everyone we looked very disjointed in first 60 minutes, poor passes, people not being in the right spot, balls hitting the ground. Even poor decision making, would have thought we had to kick penalty goal when 2 points down with 30 minutes to go. How good did we look in last 20 minutes pity we don't play like that from kickoff.

Not a big fan of him (but that may change) but Hampton was very good. Two very good runs and threw a great pass to Tohu for Richie's try.

NAS was very good too, laid some big tackles and made impact with ball. Also good to see he has been concentrating on correct play the balls.

Four wins and 1 loss on paper looks like a great start to the year but 3 of those wins have been scrappy. Have to lift our game v Bulldogs.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone know why O'brien was in the press conference yesterday and not Craig? Possibly too furious to speak?

Also, best press conference from Cam I've seen thus far.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lol, Bellamy was probably pulling limbs off the players in fury, he stepped out of the box at least twice and I'm guessing that was in frustration.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wondered too
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: A. All the senior players were fighting during the game ...at one point I saw Jesse fighting with cooper then cooper was fighting with cam then after that cam had words with Blake it was just going round in Circles until Ben came on then suddenly something clicked
I don't notice this at games. Is this something that happens often sallymay? I've seen Coops and Billy barking orders but never noticed any on-field arguing.

I thought it was Munster's worst game so far but in his defence I think he was just trying a bit too hard on the back of poor leadership from Cam and Coops.

Hampton has been a great injection off the bench and I find myself starting to become more of a fan. I don't think Green deserves the criticism he's been getting on here. For what we would expect, I think Coops has been more guilty of under-performing.

Not sure about Cam's responses in the press conference. It didn't seem like he took much responsibility for the poor performance. I'm hoping Bellyache is reviewing the game as a loss and they pick out some things to work on.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:I'm hoping Bellyache is reviewing the game as a loss and they pick out some things to work on.
Passing from dummy half and first receiver might be a solid starting point.