New 2015 Jersey

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Came across a rumour that we'll be wearing Star from next year - don't know how credible it is, though. If you're not familiar, Star is the brand that came about through a partnership between Collingwood and The Promotions Factory with the idea being that more money from each sale of merchandise goes to Collingwood than it would with a bigger supplier (they were previously with Adidas). It would make sense for us since the club wants to increase revenue wherever possible - and the current partnership with BLK is supposed to end this year.

I've seen a Star Collingwood jumper up close and it's probably one of the best made jumpers I've seen. Nice fabric, solid construction and good attention to detail. Would love to see a Storm jersey with the same quality. BLK do a lot of things right but their attention to detail (on jerseys especially) is definitely lacking.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This makes sense - Storm and Collingwood are the only sporting teams (excluding motorsports) liked by Star Athletic on Facebook... it's pretty much official then! :wink:
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Good catch! Yeah, the only pages Star like on Facebook are their partners and Collingwood's sponsors. Storm is their newest liked page. Barring an official announcement that's probably as close as we'll get to official for now.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bit disappointed if true, BLK have in general done a great job with our gear. I've loved how good they are with sales and the longevity of stuff that I've bought off them has been fantastic. They were also one of the few sponsors that didn't jump ship in 2010.

One thing that intrigues me about this new brand is that they advertise as being 'what the players wear'. I would love to have the option to buy players cut.

Just out of interest... Is it usually only jerseys that are made differently for players and for replica, or is that the same case for training gear as well?
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm all for loyalty and retaining sponsors but we should always be looking to get the best partners possible - and with the right terms. Star's offer must be better. BLK's focus seems to be on AFL now anyway since they're now working with pretty much half the league.

The idea behind Star is that they tailor their jumpers for Collingwood for each individual player and position. Supposedly a tighter jumper is more suited for some positions and looser for others. They also make modifications throughout the year and provide different jumpers for different weather conditions. I don't know how beneficial all that really is but I like that they work so closely with the players.

As far as I'm aware, it's only jerseys that have a specific players' cut.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/conte ... storm.html

Jersey designed for the Napier game by Tohu Harris. Pretty nice jersey and incorporates the meaning behind it nicely. I do wish that there was some effort to integrate the Ovarian Cancer Australia logo, particularly given how well the other sponsors have been done, but you can't have it all.

BLK have also put out a basketball singlet with some of the designs on the jersey incorporated onto it
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The yellow on purple always looks great. And of course we have another jersey ruined by poor sponsor integration.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like it..not so much the red but their is the history behind it so its pretty cool

bit Adelaide crow ish
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

sallymay wrote:I like it..not so much the red but their is the history behind it so its pretty cool

bit Adelaide crow ish
We're really honoured that this jersey has happened and had Tohu input into it on behalf of all of us. It certainly has history behind it Sallymay & while some may not like the design, it has awesome meaning and will resonate with a lot of people. Already is if the reactions from here are anything to go by.
It's a one-off but stems from the meetings Storm has held with the players in the club to acknowledge and bring together all the diversity in the Storm family (12+ ethnicities and counting). The players all agreed on the meaning behind the Storm logo and this is an extension of that.
I hope everyone (whether they like the design or not) appreciate that the Storm family of players have learnt & developed respect for each others cultures.
I'll follow this with a synopsis of the story behind the design - I realise it may not mean a lot to many but it will at least show it is a considered and meaningful design.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

“The Protector Jersey”

Maori came on the Takitimu waka (canoe) and many other waka, to New Zealand over 1000 years ago. The Takitimu Waka was captained by Tamatea (Arikinui- Paramount Chief) whose responsibility was to ensure a safe journey through the Polynesian Islands to Aotearoa (New Zealand).

Tamatea called on the high priest Ruawharo to harness the power of Tawhirimatea, god of the elements, to protect the waka and guide them safely through the many ocean storms. They stood to lose the the precious cargo of tohunga (experts) who included Master Carvers, Medical experts, the holders of Maori history and lineage, among much other expertise in the Maori customs and culture.

The Takitimu waka arrived safely in Aotearoa and our ancestors created the lineage of the Maori we know today. Kahungunu (the son of Tamatea) settled on the East Coast of the North Island and is the eponymous ancestor of the Ngati Kahungunu iwi (tribe) still here today. It is Ngati Kahungunu iwi who will traditionally welcome and manaaki (host, take care of) the Melbourne Storm when they arrive in Hawke’s Bay.

The tekoteko (figurehead) of Tamatea represented on the jersey stands as “The Protector” that has stood strong on our club jersey since 1903 and at the top of our wharenui (meeting house) at Waipatu. The colour red signifies chieftainship and black represents the people. The colours and the tekoteko signify unity, strength, pride and legacy.

The Tamatea Arikinui tekoteko is a symbol in the same manner as that of the ‘Protector’ logo on the Melbourne Storm jersey; standing strong and protecting us.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Just so you don't feel you need to hold back if you don't like it...all good lol. Just posted what I have so you would know a little of what's behind it. I love this site because everyone is honest in their views and absolutely you don't feel you have to hold back in any way. Opinions don't get passed forward by us & isn't looked at by anyone else regardless :)
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

If we're going to wear lightning bolts I'd prefer them to be like the ones we wore until 2009. They're far more powerful looking than the 2010-12 style.

I don't think this design is quite there, though - but that has nothing to do with the Maori element. Would have liked the red V to match the angle of the lightning bolts. The Ovarian Cancer Australia logo is unfortunate but you can't really be too mad about it since it's for a good cause. Aside from that I like it.

Really like the basketball jersey. I'm surprised we didn't start selling them sooner - I imagine they'd sell a lot for summer.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I might get one. The yellow bolts are awesome IMO.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I like the basketball jersey too...like the tekoteko figure front and centre (but I'm biased lol). Really appreciate your feedback Absentee because we know the jersey designs are your thing. The design was modified a little from what was submitted, some good but some detracted from the Maori elements a little (not a big deal though). I like that they put the lightning bolts at a greater angle (sorry, don't know the original) but it is more impactful than the original design. For me the back is what has perhaps lost something - like how the side patterns are integrated but lost a bit in the impact of the pukana (tongue action)...little things though.
Just for the record...this jersey is getting an enormous response over here. Posted it on our club FB page a couple of hours ago (which is only local) and some other sites. Interest & queries about purchase are growing so hope this translates into sales for the club & membership growth over here.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Chip wrote:Really appreciate your feedback Absentee because we know the jersey designs are your thing.
Just out of curiosity - who is "we"?

I've always been interested in jersey designs and I have a very clear image in my mind of what I think our jersey should look like. I wish I could just walk into the club one day, slap a design down on the CEO's desk and say "this is what we're wearing". The current home and away are definitely a step in the right direction (simplicity) but we're not there yet.