Finals Week 1

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To be honest I'm kinda relieved this years over...I've been going with footy since oct last year with the World Cup then came home straight into the nines then the trial in brissie...also relieved I don't have to pay to go to Sydney for more finals...love my boys but I need a rest

As for next year...cam Munster NAS Suli enough said
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Gutted, absolutely gutted, gone without so much as a whimper.

Out enthused and OUT COACHED. (Does Dessie have a better record against Bellamy than anybody else?) Craigs half time sprays, whilst legendary are surely now becoming old hat and either the old dog needs to find some new tricks or we as a club need to find a new dog....

Very hard to blame any individuals today, they were uniformly shit across the board. (Except maybe Glasby, I think I saw him out there for a couple of minutes?)

Can't comment on our line speed in defence from todays game (viewed end on) but have noticed all year we come forward 2 metres in defence and hold, take the ball runner and get driven back that 2 metres. Other teams rush forward 5 metres in defence and we maybe lucky to drive them back 2 metres = net loss.

Someone mentioned Cronk doing all the play making and drifting across to both sides of the field. Agreed, we need to groom a 5/8, train with that 5/8 and let that 5/8 call plays. Cronk is obviously a very dominant personality and we are way too Cronk-centric (all year - always shows up most alarmingly during origin)

Could somebody please ask Tohu to run straight ahead and none of the silly jinks.

The try of the season (that wasn't). On replay, clearly a knock on but the annoying part was the referees were going to award it appearing to have no doubt in their minds until the Bulldog players pressured the referees into going to the video. If they were so sure it was a knock on why did they keep trying to defend their line?. AND, if the Storm had heard the call six again (remember the refs called six again) and had have been tackled and played the ball then they couldn't go back and look for any knock ons! (Reynolds was foremost in the refs face calling for the video - who's the captain again, I've forgotten)

Lastly (I think) you've gotta hand it to the grubbiest grub grub in football, yes that serial pain in the asre, Michael Pennis, staying down for as long as it took for him to get noticed and for play to get stopped allowing his side to regroup (not that I thought at that stage that we were any chance)

Is it wrong to expect to win the comp every year? Probably if you're obnoxious about it. I must admit to thinking with the Rooters being rolled we were going all the way to the big dance. Go the PANTHERS now!
Kya
Squall
Squall

Gutted, just devastated by that display.
Most atrocious I have seen us play. We gave up a massive opportunity to steal it this year.

Some players need a real kick up the arse and I love Tohu but ffs run straight and hard ... Your built like a brick wall, needs aggression and stop standing flat footed.

Hinchy must start off bench, K Bromwich needs to cut out errors to get back in the side and start Mclean and Harris every game.

We were outplayed by a side who turned up and did the 1%ers, we were flat footed, our passes were shoddy, ball handling was poor, offloading in our own half when we under pressure and the list goes on.

Love Hoffy who tried all day but he and Waqa should happily take the money and run because they are not worth it to us. Will always be grateful to Hoffy and am so disappointed that we played so piss poor in his last game but we are right to let him and Waqa leave, just error ridden and low on confidence.

Props to Moors who looked like he offered something in his final game when he was on and Marika who just tried his arse off all day for little reward. ( he was in front of us in first half and just kept trying defensively even though he had little support )

Cronk needs help... Just like we have seen the changes with Thurston and cowboys this year, we need someone who can create opportunities and create alternative scoring opportunities.

Just ridiculous to expect him to do everything especially considering that like Thurston he puts himself in everything in attack and in defence. Nothing worked today but no one offered him anything to work with.

Look forward to seeing Mann and Munster next year, both need to add bulk to compete in first grade but show exciting potential.

Only hope that defence is worked on mercilessly over summer and that we continue to develop our young boys.

The thing that shamed me for the first time ever was that we as fans can handle being beaten by a better side but our club prides itself on doing the little things, on doing the hard things... Very few players lived by that philosophy today.

Please if there is a god, let North Queensland or Penrith win the comp!!!
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bullucked wrote:Gutted, absolutely gutted, gone without so much as a whimper.

Out enthused and OUT COACHED. (Does Dessie have a better record against Bellamy than anybody else?) Craigs half time sprays, whilst legendary are surely now becoming old hat and either the old dog needs to find some new tricks or we as a club need to find a new dog....

Very hard to blame any individuals today, they were uniformly shit across the board. (Except maybe Glasby, I think I saw him out there for a couple of minutes?)

Can't comment on our line speed in defence from todays game (viewed end on) but have noticed all year we come forward 2 metres in defence and hold, take the ball runner and get driven back that 2 metres. Other teams rush forward 5 metres in defence and we maybe lucky to drive them back 2 metres = net loss.

Someone mentioned Cronk doing all the play making and drifting across to both sides of the field. Agreed, we need to groom a 5/8, train with that 5/8 and let that 5/8 call plays. Cronk is obviously a very dominant personality and we are way too Cronk-centric (all year - always shows up most alarmingly during origin)

Could somebody please ask Tohu to run straight ahead and none of the silly jinks.

The try of the season (that wasn't). On replay, clearly a knock on but the annoying part was the referees were going to award it appearing to have no doubt in their minds until the Bulldog players pressured the referees into going to the video. If they were so sure it was a knock on why did they keep trying to defend their line?. AND, if the Storm had heard the call six again (remember the refs called six again) and had have been tackled and played the ball then they couldn't go back and look for any knock ons! (Reynolds was foremost in the refs face calling for the video - who's the captain again, I've forgotten)

Lastly (I think) you've gotta hand it to the grubbiest grub grub in football, yes that serial pain in the asre, Michael Pennis, staying down for as long as it took for him to get noticed and for play to get stopped allowing his side to regroup (not that I thought at that stage that we were any chance)

Is it wrong to expect to win the comp every year? Probably if you're obnoxious about it. I must admit to thinking with the Rooters being rolled we were going all the way to the big dance. Go the PANTHERS now!

ok, being a bit defensive here but T had 40mins, got 14 receives, 12 runs for 122m (bigger average metres gained than anyone else tonight) and 28 tackles in 40mins. Have noticed the 'jinking' but perhaps if he got the ball with room to move and create, had a role to play other than dummy-runner and was played on the edge more than up the middle there might be a bit more from him. Happy with how he plays EVERY game, at worst solid which is more than some, especially in his second season which is often a let-down for a lot of players after their first season. Also happy with how he's being developed but hopefully the heavily structured Storm way of playing frees up a bit next year so some of the young guys get to show what they are capable of - I think they have to as the game is changing.
Biased rant over.
Proud of how far Storm came this season in what has been a mixed bag - have to say they never looked like they would go all the way imo but clung desperately to the hope they would. TBH, Sisa has been rocks and diamonds, have felt Will had to compensate many times, expectations on the 'big three' performing has to change (personally would like to see Cam come off the bench ??? ) and that over the next year they all give up game time (and SOO) to enable players that will be their replacements to get experience.
Hasler has CB sussed and CB doesn't change willingly...having said that I don't believe how they played was the 'game plan'. Albeit, Hasler knew what that would be and his game plan worked - one of the few coaches that has the wood on CB. Dogs lay all over Storm tonight.
Jordan is coming on great & Jesse is the real deal & will keep getting better :-D Mahe will too but needs more work on defense as everyone knows - hope he can do that because he has so much to offer in other ways. I'm a Koromaniac like a lot of others and don't know why he doesn't get more opportunities (that over-structured game plan again?).
All the other comments re Hinchy & Noz off the bench I agree with too.
Know how you are all feeling but we'll all bounce back for the next year of tortuous expectations
p.s. The refs, say no more...
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Tim Glasby's sticking around isn't he? As Sallymay mentioned on twitter wasn't in the tribute video last week and didn't walk through the guard of honour after the game today.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

We lost and I am over it now, this has been the most controversial season(except for 2010) we have ever had. I think our Big 3 play too much Rep footy and it costs us at the crucial time of the season.
The inept refs (klown) cost us at least 2 games (and a better position in the 8).. knights and titans. SO FRUSTRATING. If the supporters were frustrated can you imagine how the players and coach feel.
We were outplayed today but we aren`t the first team to be outplayed in a game(we are just not used to it).
I am sure my CHAMPION TEAM are shattered so I can`t say anything against them.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Eight was what I meant to say
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

similar post to this time in 2013.

proud of the guys effort over the year but gutted and disappointed with today and going out of Finals without even a yelp.

Rep footy is slowly crucifying our Club as the rep guys get older.

The team is going through a change over period...so there will undoubtedly be some more pain.

They are dancing on our grave right now in Sydney...but that it will make it EVEN sweeter we we nail those pricks from NSW and Qld and win another Premiership in 2 - 3 years time...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
storm77
Squall
Squall

This team has private ownership.
They need to step up and act like it.
They need to tell CC, BS and CS that they can no longer play representative football. If they don't like it then to bad. They can leave or they can commit themselves to the team that actually employs them.
They also need to fire the assistant coaches and hire new ones.
I also think Craig is under real pressure. We have now lost three straight PS games after I don't believe we had ever lost two in a row under Craig before.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just think about how long it took Cam and Coops (not so much Bill, he was a star from the start) to hit their form and become renowned and a consistent star each week... or even just better footballers in general.

Thats where most of our team are, they are finding this all out now whilst we rely on our big 3 to shoulder the load and are unfortunately entering their twilight. And also while there are passengers on board such as Noz & Co.

We cant go from strength to strength, there is a transition and thats just football. I do think Craig just cant out-coach Des, they've gone head to head so often I think he has him figured out
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We struggle when teams rush us defensively - something Des has ensured in most games where we come up against him.

Most of our forwards go into their shell and Coop struggles with playmaking behind a beaten pack.

For a team full of experience, when we get behind on the scoreboard late in a game, we look panicky and play more like a team full of under 20's players.
Brian
Squall
Squall

yourhero wrote:We struggle when teams rush us defensively - something Des has ensured in most games where we come up against him.

Most of our forwards go into their shell and Coop struggles with playmaking behind a beaten pack.

For a team full of experience, when we get behind on the scoreboard late in a game, we look panicky and play more like a team full of under 20's players.

We beat the dogs in the 2012 when they played the style of football they played yesterday.Their Short passing forwards really took us by surprise.

The Dogs used this play in 2012 but CB worked them out.

We Forgot

Ron Gaucci parked next to us over the road and still attends games
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brian wrote:
yourhero wrote:We struggle when teams rush us defensively - something Des has ensured in most games where we come up against him.

We beat the dogs in the 2012 when they played the style of football they played yesterday.Their Short passing forwards really took us by surprise.

The Dogs used this play in 2012 but CB worked them out.

We Forgot

Ron Gaucci parked next to us over the road and still attends games
In 2012 GF we beat them with light speed line speed.

and we were proactive...got in first.

Team was mildly complacent imho on Sunday
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

1999 wrote:All 5 tries came down the Hoffman/Roberts/Fonua corridor, has been a major concern for a long time and it has finally cost us in a big game, with Hoffman and Roberts leaving we definatly need to rebuild that side for 2015, Hopefully Green & Harris can tighten us right up and slowly push Fonua to the backrow where he belongs.

1. Slater
2. Munster
3. Chambers
4. O'Neill
5. Koroibete
6. Green
7. Cronk
8. J.Bromwich
9. Smith (c)
10. McLean
11. Proctor
12. Harris
13. Hinchcliffe

14. Fonua
15. Asofa-Solomona
16. Learoyd-Lahrs
17. K.Bromwich

Even next year I think we will still only have another mid table type of year unfortunately.

Player of the year - Jesse Bromwich
Best Back - Cooper Cronk
Best Forward - Jesse Bromwich
Most Improved - Mahe Fonua
Needs more Felise Kaufausi.

Agree wholeheartedly about Munster having a wing spot. If he's not named I feel like we'll regret it even more than we regret not giving Cody Walker an opportunity at the start of the season.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC my wife said during the match that we were going sideways like the Murray coached Storm.

Someone also mentioned our panicky play. This reminded me of our Matt Orford days where whenever we got behind it was as if we had to score off every play or every pass.