Ben Hampton Re-Signs With Melbourne For Two Years

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://www.nrl.com/hampton-re-signs-wit ... fault.aspx

I guess all the critics are going to have to put up with this decision by the club, however I don't know how it's going to work out. Sure Ben's a great talent and has the potential to become a star, but here's a couple of problems:

Why did we sign Blake Green? - I was under the impression that Ben would leave the club due to NRL and SL journeyman five-eighth Blake Green signing with the club. Now Ben has re-signed, who is going to be spending more time in reserve grade? We need just one consistent first choice five-eighth, not two playing off for it.

Competing with Cooper Cronk in Playmaking - For too long, Coops has been domineering and not sharing the load of playmaking to the five-eighth. This has made the club struggle at times as we have never been able to hold down a permanent long term five-eighth. How is Ben going to handle trying to get out of being stuck in Coops' shadow?

All I hope is that this decision doesn't cause any problems in the long term.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hope Ben sees it as a second chance opportunity. A solid end to the year in reserves and a massive effort in the pre-season could see him in contention for the 6 jersey next year.

The fact that we have recruited Green shouldn't dishearten him, it should drive him to want to improve and earn a spot. The road to first grade is very rarely easy for halves. Head down, ass up and fight tooth and nail for another opportunity. All the best Benny.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Spot on ^^^. Green's hasn't got a mortgage on the 5/8 jersey just yet either . He still needs to earn it just like Hampton will next year.

Also a team can never have too many halves. We've seen this year what happens with injuries.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Seriously guys Ben has done nothing wrong...he was meant to be share the role with Roberts and Walker as it was his first year in5/8 storm knew he wasn't ready and basically got thrown I the deep end when cooper got hurt...he didn't do anything wrong in games except be a little bit predictable he will be better for the run in the NRL and reserves and come out a lock in an NRL spot next year
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am happy but im also confused.

Surely he will get itchy feet if hes being overlooked for a more senior and experienced player? I like Ben's wrestle, off the cuff play and speed since day one so I hope thats his x-factor in comparison to green.

either way its a good selection problem to have