what do wehave to do to make finals

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There are 9 games remaining, realistically, I think we need 6 wins minimum.

We need to fix our defensive issues.

We need to find a consistently effective halves combination.

We need to run harder and offload more.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think that is what I was getting at...probably should have just asked that question :oops:

Yes, yes, and yes to the above!

Once the origin nonsense is out of the way (sorry, I'm a Kiwi & it means jack to me) then we will see - let's hope our guys come through the last one with no major issues.
I'd like to see some fire in their bellies (all of them) & see some back in CB - if the coach isn't fired-up, the players won't be so much either. I honestly think they all just need to want it & believe they can do it.

And win at least 6 like you said
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Teams currently on the ladder in positions 5 - 10 are all on 20 points;
Roosters (+104)
Warriors (+77)
Broncos (+22)
Storm (-32)
Eeels (-34)
Tigers (-48)

Because our for and against isn't great, every win will be critical. I would hazard a guess that 28 points will be the cut-off for the top 8 with for and against being a deciding factor in eliminating one or two teams.

This means we will need to win at least 5 games to ensure making the finals. If we only win 4, we rely on for and against which for us, likely won't be a good result.

The run to finals for us is;
Home - Vs Bulldogs
Home - Vs Raiders
Away - Vs Broncos
Away - Vs Tigers
Away - Vs Knights
Home - Vs Sharks
Away - Vs Panthers
Away - Vs Roosters
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hope with the return of Cronk, we will see some return to normalcy... at least from an attacking point of view. We have clearly lacked direction and execution without him. Cronk to steer the ship and dominate possession, Roberts to support and focus on his running game.

Our defence still needs to be addressed, we are averaging 22.8 points conceded per game which for the Melbourne Storm, is huge.

Win the individual battles. Each player needs to take ownership of their role in the team and make sure that they are winning the battle against their opposite.

Forward domination. Heads down, bums up. Run with purpose, fight to get to your feet for a quick play the ball so the next guys job is just that little bit easier. Build the momentum in the sets and get the opposition defence on the back foot. In turn, this makes everyone's job easier, the halves and backs will have much more time to make decisions and have space to move... It all starts with the blokes in the middle.

Offloads and late passes at the line... We did it ( late passes at the line) for 40 minutes a couple of weeks ago, looked like superstars, then it disappeared.

Get off our defensive line!!! Put kick pressure. Chase hard for attacking kicks. All these little fitness things that make a big difference.

Don't rely on the up-and-in all day long. Slide when we can and make sure the inside guy puts in effort to keep moving and covering the inside lane.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

What we need is consitent training sessions together so the team can gel together. I have faith in my Champion Team to do well.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Have every player refuse to accept mediocrity on the training track and the playing field.

the talent is there...no doubt.

Just go to get their head space right.

cam, billy, cooper and Hoffy deserve another shot at a Premiership while still playing OK with the younger blokes around them...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It really is simple score more points than the other team
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Storm Spirit wrote:Have every player refuse to accept mediocrity on the training track and the playing field.

the talent is there...no doubt.

Just go to get their head space right.

cam, billy, cooper and Hoffy deserve another shot at a Premiership while still playing OK with the younger blokes around them...

I agree but I also think the reverse is true. That is, the young guys (who are probably more hungry for it) deserve a shot at a premiership while Cam, Billy & Coops are able to help them secure it. We seem to be stuck in a transitional phase but if anyone can rev the team up to go the whole way (inexperience et al) it is those guys if they want it enough - I hope they do
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Keep in mind that we have beaten Manly (twice), Panthers and South's, 3 supposed premiership contenders.

Obviously, if we're on our game we can match it with the best.

We can be fine tuned for the run to the finals with the disruption of Origin out of the way.

It all starts this week against the Dogs.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Win games. Nah, seriously we just need to get some continuity back which we will as the Big Three's prominence at training sessions increase.

Making the top 4 will be a tricky task after our two successive defeats but we should have little trouble making the 8.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:It really is simple score more points than the other team

I am beginning to think that it's no more complicated than Glennb's logic.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To make the finals we have to do something in 8 weeks we haven't done all season, we'll maybe apart from week 1-3. That's consistency. If we make the finals in 8th spot I'll back us to win the premiership but the problem is actually making the final 8.
I think this game is the biggest game of the year. Lose and my faith will take a big hit.
Do hope we swing it left though. Why buy a Lamboghini and park it on the wing.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Almost season over if we lose to the Raiders... We would be relying on stringing a large number of wins together to make the 8 if we do. No team wants to be in that position and we've seen how we've manged pressure the last couple of years...
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

The first thing we have to do for our charge to the finals is get into the right mental attitude.
Secondly beat raiders and I know we will.
rest of season will take care of itself.
If we finish 8th we will be the first team to win premiership from that position.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So using the NRL.com ladder predictor, what are everyone's thoughts on the top 8 come the end of round 26? We'll see how close we get. Mine;

1. Sea Eagles - 38 Points
2. Bulldogs - 38 Points
3. Roosters - 34 Points
4. Panthers - 34 Points
5. Rabbitohs - 32 Points
6. Warriors - 32 Points
7. Storm - 32 Points
8. Tigers - 30 Points

In my scenario, we'd be playing away against the Warriors week 1 of the finals.