Round 1 team

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

storma01 wrote:My round 1 team if all is fit to play

1 slater
2 waqa
3 chambers
4 o neil
5 young ( but I thing fonua will be here)
6 Hampton will get first crack
7 cronk
8 Bromwich
9 smith
10 garbutt
11 proctor
12 Hoffman
13 Harris ( but I think hinchy will be here)

14 hinchy
15 rose
16 moors
17 McLean

I rekon we have some great depth this year and I can't wait to see the boys fight for their spots every week! #purplepride
With o Neil out I rekon now it will be

1 billy
2 Sisa
3 will
4 Mahe
5 young/hymel
6 I rekon Ben will be here but if Cody was it would be fine
7 coop if fit or Roberts
8 Jesse
9 cam
10 Jordan or Mitch would be good but prolly be noz
11 kev
12 hoff
13 I think hinchy but I want tohu

14 hinchy or tohu
15 Jordan or Mitch
16 moors
17 rose
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What are people's reasonings behind naming Romelo on the bench ? I just don't get it.
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote:What are people's reasonings behind naming Romelo on the bench ? I just don't get it.
My reasoning is simply his utility value, carrying 2 props for rotation is essential, tohu is back up for kev hoff & hinchy who are all well and truely capable of playing 80 minutes, why waste another spot for a backrower? Romelo can play almost anywhere from 1-13 incase of injury/tiredness, and he has that spark we lack, and he is a defensive beast, each to their own but.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

But the utility player is Hinchcliffe whether he starts at lock or off the bench. With size on the bench is where we played at our best last season so I'll be disappointed if Bellamy doesn't go that way this year. Hoffman was the only guy in the backrow to play close to 80 mins last year, lightening his load wouldn't be a bad thing. Harris could see his workload increase but having more impact backrowers who can play up front would be ideal and we have that in Moors, Kaufusi even Kenny could slip up front for a spell. Romelo would just be a wasted spot as he has no designed position. But as you said, each to their own.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So looks like Ben Roberts will be first picked five eight round 1. Don't like it one bit lol.
He does have a great running game so if he can stay away from kicking and limit his passing he might be alright lol
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why has Roberts got first try at the spot. I thought Hampton was the first pick. Why?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ah where are you getting this from ? Everything I've read and heard has Hampton getting the 5/8th spot.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm becoming very worried about Ben Roberts possibly filling in for Coops. I haven't seen much of him play at Canterbury and Parramatta in the past, but from everything I've heard about his ability to play the game and his possible inclusion in a crucial playmaking position is starting to become very concerning for where the team is heading. I sure hope if Bellyache goes down that road he seriously knows what he's doing, otherwise it is going to be embarrassing (if that's to go by what basically everyone who has seen Roberts play thinks about him).
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

ricky stuart -- Ben Roberts =no chance to learn anything.

If anyone can improve BR potential is CRAIG BELLAMY and STORM.
I am wondering how far down the ladder will raiders slide this season under rs.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Todays paper has Cronk, Slater and Hinchcliffe fit for round one. Ben Hampton in the 6 and Roberts a chance in the 7 if Cronk is not playing.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Is that official at this stage? Or just what you want to see? Because it looks pretty close to what I think we will be seeing. A lot closer than some of the dream teams prayed above anyway :)
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree going with size on the bench is the way to go in round 1. The scum are very low in the big man department at the moment so if we smash them in the forwards with size it'll go a long way to winning the game.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

mattstormy wrote:I'm becoming very worried about Ben Roberts possibly filling in for Coops. I haven't seen much of him play at Canterbury and Parramatta in the past, but from everything I've heard about his ability to play the game and his possible inclusion in a crucial playmaking position is starting to become very concerning for where the team is heading. I sure hope if Bellyache goes down that road he seriously knows what he's doing, otherwise it is going to be embarrassing (if that's to go by what basically everyone who has seen Roberts play thinks about him).
LOL