Coaches are at it again

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
one-eyed
Squall
Squall

After 2010 i don't care what anyone says about the best team in the NRL, all green with jealousy
GO STORM
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

mystormboys wrote:Cooley has been sacked Cooper no try Norrie offside
i would have thought cooper puts him onside
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I just hope the refs got it over the gf when whatmough faced the sideline to play the ball then - far worse
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Didn't Manly score a try at Brookvale last year with a fwd pass that was about 2m fwd. If it wasn't the Manly game...it was another with equally big stakes.

Storm didn't whinge...just sucked it up.

Crap happens....it's just part of League.

These other Clubs, coaches and players need to get some perspective on the game.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Belcher's now the latest.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl- ... 6290450290

i used to have time for what he had to say.

Not anymore.

The guy is an oxygen thief. We could give the oxygen he's using to someone more deserving.

The current and former Raiders players/staff must have the the most massive chip on their shoulder.

They must realise that their 2012 season is stuffed already by the vicious, nasty, spiteful and hated filled campaign they have started.

Here's a tip boys...put your efforts into working out how to win games rather than whinging/sooking/crying about the ones you weren't good enough to win.

Lucky they aren't in Wentworth Detention Centre...we all know what Bea Smith did to laggers in that joint.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Weren't the Raiders the first team to complain about our tackling techniques before a final when Matthew Elliott was in charge?
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just watch us get penalised heaps on Sunday...
Jacko
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Storm Spirit wrote:Belcher's now the latest.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl- ... 6290450290

i used to have time for what he had to say.

Not anymore.

The guy is an oxygen thief. We could give the oxygen he's using to someone more deserving.

The current and former Raiders players/staff must have the the most massive chip on their shoulder.

They must realise that their 2012 season is stuffed already by the vicious, nasty, spiteful and hated filled campaign they have started.

Here's a tip boys...put your efforts into working out how to win games rather than whinging/sooking/crying about the ones you weren't good enough to win.

Lucky they aren't in Wentworth Detention Centre...we all know what Bea Smith did to laggers in that joint.
You're spot on there. Until the Raiders learn to have a winning mentality of win at all costs, no matter what it takes, legal or illegal, in the spirit of the game or not, with good or bad sportsmanship, then they won't win.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

the raiders won both trial games, one against us, they thought they will beat us rd 1 and be top 4 at the end of the year.... the loss cut them deep and i hope it effects their performance this week.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1uigz.html
Storm embroiled in WrestleMania IV
Brad Walter
March 7, 2012

The new season is just one week old and already the NRL is grappling with a new wrestling manoeuvre after the Raiders reported the Storm for a technique being termed the ''chin strap''.

MELBOURNE officials were left ''bewildered'' and ''disappointed'' after Canberra coach David Furner sent the NRL footage of six tackles by Storm players he claimed showed the club was employing a new wrestling technique.

NRL referees coach Russell Smith had already advised the Storm that two tackles by Todd Lowrie, including one in which he wrenches the jaw of former teammate Brett White, should have been penalised. Melbourne officials plan to speak to him about his actions.

However, the other four tackles were deemed to be acceptable and Storm football manager Frank Ponissi insisted the club had not spent the summer rehearsing the manoeuvre, which has been nicknamed the ''chin strap''.

''No one here has ever heard of the name 'chin strap' before today,'' Ponissi said.

It was claimed last night that the name had been coined by the Raiders wrestling coach.

The Herald was told that Canberra captain Terry Campese complained to the match officials about the Storm's tackling technique during the game, which Melbourne won 24-19 in controversial circumstances.

Complaints by other players after the match prompted Furner to send the footage to the NRL but Ponissi questioned why a story appeared in The Canberra Times yesterday before referees bosses Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper had received the vision of the tackles. ''We are bewildered and disappointed to be brutally honest,'' Ponissi said.

''Except for the two minor incidents that were in the report [by Smith], which were exactly the same as the Canberra Raiders, we have no idea where this has come from.

''I have spoken to Stuart Raper and he and Bill Harrigan have looked at the incidents and they have told us quite categorically that there is absolutely nothing for us - or them - to worry about. If the NRL referees had an issue we would comply with it.''

Smith noted in his report that Lowrie should have been penalised for ''head contact'' with Blake Ferguson in the 22nd minute of the match and White in the 45th minute.

White could not recall the tackle when contacted by the Herald yesterday.

Smith also said the Raiders should have been penalised for lock Shaun Fensom using his arm as a lever and a ''facial'' by prop David Shillington.

Raper said Smith's report had been sent to the Raiders and Storm on Monday.

''There weren't any extra that we hadn't already seen,'' Raper said of the footage forwarded by Furner.

''For us it is another thing we just need to keep our eye on in regards to policing anything illegal in the tackle. People can put names to these things but our referees will just continue to be strong on any contact around the head.

''We saw a couple and we spoke to Melbourne about those, as if we have done with a lot of clubs about discipline aspects.''

The Storm have been blamed for introducing the ''grapple tackle'', ''chicken wing'' and ''crusher'' tackles to the game but officials insist that the club is now careful to avoid teaching their players any illegal wrestling holds.

The NRL match review committee have not noticed any new trend in games so far this season but former Raiders and Australian fullback Gary Belcher, who works as a commentator, said wrestling in the game was ''out of control''.

''You wonder how they sleep at night if they're doing stuff that could injure or harm other players; especially if it's around the head or the neck region,'' Belcher told Fox Sports.

''Every coach has had to focus on [slowing down the ruck] heavily for a lot of years now. They've really had to do a lot of work on their wrestling, it's just how it is.

''But when you start to look at tactics that are questionable, I think you've lost the plot, I think you've gone too far. We all want to win, but an attitude of win at all costs is just taking it too far.''

Coincidentally, Canberra players had a session of wrestling training yesterday.
Bit of a beat up, I think. This is the second time in the past year someone has kicked up a fuss about what we're doing on the field. In both situations, the NRL has said we're not doing anything wrong. Also, it's a bit of a stretch when the Raiders' coach sent in video of six tackles (and only two of them were a problem) out of how many made during the game? Between 3 and 400? Come on, now.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

It was claimed last night that the name had been coined by the Raiders wrestling coach.
Says it all really ::) Wonder if he taught it to Furner :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Probably Mrs Furner

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Crocker defends Storm's tackling style
Print
- Font
+ Font
RSS
Ian McCullough AAP Thu, Mar 08, 2012 - 11:50 AM

South Sydney co-captain Michael Crocker has leapt to the defence of former club Melbourne over the 'chin strap' row that has engulfed the Storm.

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy slammed Canberra counterpart David Furner on Wednesday after he criticised his side's tackling technique following the Storm's 24-19 win over the Raiders last Saturday.

Furner was so enraged by what he claimed was wrestling-like contact to the head, he sent video footage of certain incidents during the game at Canberra Stadium to the NRL.

However, Crocker, who played under Bellamy for three seasons from 2006, said he saw nothing wrong when he watched the game.

"I think it is a non-issue," Crocker said on Thursday.

"There were two incidents that I saw where there was accidental contact to the face.

"If the referee deems that they are penalties then I am sure that they will blow for it.

Bellamy's former assistant, Souths coach Michael Maguire, agreed with his skipper.

However, he refused to be drawn on the comments made by his former boss, who accused Canberra of thinking his players and staff were a "bunch of hillbillies".

"There were thousands of tackles made last weekend and I didn't think there was too much wrong with the ones they are talking about," Maguire said.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1unbv.html

It`s nice to see us getting a bit of support about this for a change. Guys who`ve actually been in our system and know what they`re talking about. To others hopefully it starts to look like the NSW media beatup that it actually is when you hear these guys comments