NYC 2011

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

The season is over for the young boys. Good fight back in the second half but just couldn't get the final try to win the match. Denny Solomona was outstanding. Matt McGahn didn't have his best kicking game for us and thats what let us down. Pretty happy with the season, NZ will win though.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really feeling for Brayden Wiliame right now.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Disappointing loss & a disappointing game.
Missed conversions - bad last tackle options & a hospital case on the bench who injured himself badly :(
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Great game from Denny, the others not so much...they needed to come out like they did last week but that first 20 did them in (again) although they did bomb a couple of opportunities early on. That repeat set of six they had was the biggest opportunity in the game to turn it around but they bombed that too. The heat didn't help as well. Hard luck boys, especially Brayden - hope all goes well for him.
A disappointing end to the season for them but well done anyway, they've fought hard, made us proud & can hold their heads high because they've represented the Storm well, on and off the field.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chip wrote:Great game from Denny, the others not so much...they needed to come out like they did last week but that first 20 did them in (again) although they did bomb a couple of opportunities early on. That repeat set of six they had was the biggest opportunity in the game to turn it around but they bombed that too. The heat didn't help as well. Hard luck boys, especially Brayden - hope all goes well for him.
A disappointing end to the season for them but well done anyway, they've fought hard, made us proud & can hold their heads high because they've represented the Storm well, on and off the field.
Just about spot on Chip.

Best players for us were Denny (310m), Kenny Bromwich, Young Tonumaipea & Karl Davies I thought.

Looking forward to seeing Denny develop next year, id like to see him add some ball-playing skills and learn to follow the ball a bit more in attack if wants to remain at FB.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hopefully Dean Pay gets offered an assistant coaching job somewhere.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

why would he stay with the storm thunderbolts??

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

any idea who our hooker will be next yr with slade now too old and in the top sqaud ive just heard matt smith has said he isnt coming back to melbourne to play so who do we have that will be hooker and step up

glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Do you know where Matt Smith is going ?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

he said he is playing up in QLD somone asked him if he was coming back to melbourne and he said no...shame i was kinda starting to enjoy watching him play
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:any idea who our hooker will be next yr with slade now too old and in the top sqaud ive just heard matt smith has said he isnt coming back to melbourne to play so who do we have that will be hooker and step up

Josh Tunnicliffe will probably be 1st choice.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I see most most teams already have their NYC squads on their websites sans pictures or profiles.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Berkrey’s been thrown into the eye of the Storm
HE describes it as the toughest thing he’s ever experienced, however he’s up for the challenge.
Former Cootamundra junior Luke Berkrey (pictured) has joined the Melbourne Storm ranks this season and his initiation into the one of the NRL’s most successful clubs has been brutal.

Having spent a number of seasons playing in the Canberra Raiders junior grades, Berkrey made the switch to the Bleak City in the hope it would re-spark his career.

If the first two weeks are anything to go by, that spark has certainly been lit.

“It’s a whole new world down here,” Berkrey said yesterday.

“I thought training in Canberra was hard, but it’s nothing compared to the past two weeks.

“The whole culture down here is so different and so professional.

“It’s all about working hard for each other. The tiniest things are important. On the surface they may not look important but they do matter, all the 1 percenters add up.”

Berkrey is in the middle of an

arduous training regime, one, that while it has him both physically and mentally exhausted, he knows will pay dividends in the long run.

“I arrived at training on the first day, introduced myself and was

pretty much told straight away that I’ll need to do extra training,” he said.

From that point on Berkrey has been setting his alarm for the

ungodly hour of 4am.

“We (the extra training group) start at 4.45am each morning, train for two hours and then join the rest of the club from 6.45am to around 8.30am,” he said.

“Then it’s back home to get ready for work (at a container warehouse) from 9.30am to 3pm and then it’s back to training for the afternoon.

“I have to do that for 21 days straight.

“The rest of the squad gets Wednesday and Saturday afternoons off and all day Sunday, however our group has to do every session for the three weeks.

“It’s tough and by the time I get home at night I’m exhausted. Basically I get home, eat and go to bed in preparation for the next day.”

Berkrey admitted the strict routine has changed his entire mindset in terms of his approach to his football.

“This is my last year in the under 20s so I know it’s a case of now or never,” he said.
“My goal is obviously to make it into the top 17, however the focus at the moment is to get through this training program.
“I want to be part of the culture they have in place down here.”
The powerfully built utility is looking forward to the pre-season trails, with the Storm due to play Canterbury in Hobart and his old club, Canberra, in Albury.
“We play Canberra in Canberra in the first round so that has given me extra motivation as well,” he said.
“I would love to go back there as part of the 17.”
For the meantime, Berkrey will continue to set his alarm for 4am with the old adage of ‘hard work reap rewards’ ringing in his head.
This is my last year in the under 20s so I know it’s a case of now or never,” he said.

“My goal is obviously to make it into the top 17, however the focus at the moment is to get through this training program.

“I want to be part of the culture they have in place down here.”

The powerfully built utility is looking forward to the pre-season trails, with the Storm due to play Canterbury in Hobart and his old club, Canberra, in Albury.

“We play Canberra in Canberra in the first round so that has given me extra motivation as well,” he said.

“I would love to go back there as part of the 17.”

For the meantime, Berkrey will continue to set his alarm for 4am with the old adage of ‘hard work reap rewards’ ringing in his head.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

You have to love his attitude towards the extra workload compared to what he had previously experienced..well done Luke!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Get a new thread up for 2012 soon. Looking forward to seeing the young boys again, would love to know our squad so could someone post it up if possible. What are everyone's expectations about 2012 for the young guns, can we do what we did in 2009? Matt McGahn will be key!