Official View: Referees got Taylor call right

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Stop Sucking You Bunnies

Why was the decision on Dave Taylor’s try in the South Sydney v Melbourne game on Sunday afternoon not sent upstairs to the video referee? Was it the right decision?

The referee was in a good position and was decisive, which is what we want our referees to be. The ruling was that Dave Taylor was short of the line and then lost the ball. On review, we looked at it frame by frame and we have found that the referee was 100% correct.Taylor loses the ball when he puts it on top of Billy Slater’s foot and then it rolls off to the side and he loses contact with the ball. The ball is short of the line and he loses contact, so it is a knock-on.

I applaud his decision, it was a tight call and a big call in the context of the match, and he made the right decision
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

The decision was correct. But it probably should've gone upstairs to be confirmed as such. Line balls like that are easily read wrong in full motion. That's why we have video refs isn't it?
In saying that I think it worked favorably for us because no doubt the video ref would probably have gone against us, as they generally do.
We had a dodgy call which should've been referred to video ref a few weeks ago (I think it was against Raiders).
What shits me is when something blatant is referred upstairs and they look a it for 5mins. And then lineballs are called on the spot??

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Big Jim...

Is that an official NRL referees view ??

What sources was the article taken from ?

Thank you.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote:Big Jim...

Is that an official NRL referees view ??

What sources was the article taken from ?

Thank you.

Yes its official S.S

http://www.nrl.com/official-view-refs-g ... fault.aspx
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Even if that particular incident had been referred to the video ref I guarantee that it would've resulted in a "Refs Call" decision anyway (unless Paul Simpkins was the video ref!) - the video ref couldn't see conclusively whether it was on the line or not, so the actual referee was in the best position to make the call. It would've been the same result in the end, only 5 minutes later.

The only debate is whether Taylor actually lost it in the process, and at full speed, it certainly would've appeared that way as he rolled it over Slater's foot. The ref was in no doubt as to whether Taylor was short or not, therefore everything else is academic. It was a fair call in my opinion, surprisingly in our favour!