Storm rep players

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

BIG JIM wrote:we have a Bye in 2 weeks rest time then

Not for Cam, Bill and Coops, they'll be playing origin.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ice wrote:
BIG JIM wrote:we have a Bye in 2 weeks rest time then

Not for Cam, Bill and Coops, they'll be playing origin.
They still get a rest. Storm V Raiders 14May @ AAMI then no footy until SOO 1 on 25May, then short turnaround against Sharks at home on 30 May.
Similar story in July for SOO 3. Warriors away, week off, SOO on Wednesday 6 July, Bulldogs in Adelaide that weekend.
Prior to SOO 2 (in Sydney) we will be without our rep players (because their ineligible to play club footy prior to Origen), so therefore a bit of a rest for them, when we play Roosters at home. Then the rep boys will have short turnaround against Tigers in Sydney.
Hopefully we have a few of our injured troops back before Round 14 against Roosters.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Most players who back up from SOO and Rep games say its easier to play 24 hrs later than 72 hrs later when the soreness kicks in, so there is a chance all the boys might back up for the Broncos game, except for Cam who really deserves a break even though we have a bye the following week.

Fingers crossed none of our boys cop an injury in that Rep game.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With the news the Broncos will sit Lockyer, Thaiday and Hodges I reckon Craig willl only give Cam a rest, if that.

Wins are so important for us now so we cant really afford to take it too easy.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Can you trust the Broncos in saying those players wont play?
Maybe they will play..

If any of those Storm boys are right to play, then i hope they play.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I originally thought that Champion wouldn't back up because of travel factor from Albury to Brisbane and that Bellamy may not make Duffie back up because of his youth.

I also originally thought that the other 4 guys (Billy, Cam, Cooper and Adam) who have done it before would back up injury permitting. But thought they may start Hinchcliffe at hooker and start Cam on the bench. Now with Hinchy playing in Albury he may not play for Storm.

Although as someone else said we have Rory Kostjasyn who is a more than capable substitute.

Might not be a bad time to give Waqa and Niko a run in first grade either.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

While I do not think for one second, that the teams named will be the teams running out for both the Broncos and Storm. Is it just me or do the Broncos sound a bit disrepectful towards Storm, by no at least naming their rep players because it is aganist a quality side and all players should try a back up. One story I read said they are still going to win the game.

The Broncos would not have done this a few years ago. I think there is still some of the pre season thinking going around that Storm are not a good side.

We need to change this thinking soon.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Disagree, we need them to keep underestimating us and just sail on into the big one
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I don't think they are being disrespectful. These all sound like legitimate reason these players MIGHT not play. They are in the same position as us - not knowing who they will play until the game day. I like that they have named their 'reserves' and wish Storm had done the same so we have some idea who 'might' play.
Australian skipper Lockyer, 34, who will play his final Test on home soil at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, has revealed he is likely to take a "big picture" approach by fighting the temptation to back up the next night.

Hodges, who has shot back into the green and gold after missing 18 months with an achilles injury, has been told by the Broncos he will not be lining up on Saturday night.

An equally cautious approach will be taken with back-rower Thaiday, who is managing a groin problem that will eventually require surgery.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/b ... 6048672357
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I had a little too much time on my hands.
If no rep players back up.

1) Chisholm
2) Quinn
3) Neilson
4) Niko
5) Waqa
6) Widdop
7) Hampton or Kelly
8) Woolnough
9) Kostjaysen
10) Norrie
11) Vea
12) Proctor
13) Lowrie
14) Bromwich
15) Lowe
16) M.Blair
17) Maori

I reckon Quinny could have a spell from half time and fill a role similar to what Vea has been doing the past few weeks as a fresh-legged impact 2nd rower for the last 20mins or so.
Maori could play left wing for the 2nd half.
M.Blair can play back row, centre and half. So he offers great versitility as a utility also.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

your right, you did have too much time on your hands, but there is some names there i would love to see get their shot
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Blair injures ankle ahead of NZ-Aust Test

New Zealand have suffered a major scare ahead of Friday night's rugby league Test against Australia with key forward Adam Blair hobbling out of Wednesday's training run with an ankle injury.

Blair rolled his ankle on the heavy surface at The Southport School, and had a pronounced limp as he made his way to the sidelines to undergo further treatment.

Kiwi medical officials were confident Blair would be right to take on the Kangaroos at Skilled Park, with hooker Nathan Fien - named in the No.9 ahead of Issac Luke - also failing to see out the session as he rested his tender hamstring.

"It's a very mild sprain, it's just a precaution, icing him up and putting some compression on it and just see how he goes in the next 24 hours," team doctor Simon Mayhew said.

"It's always hard to tell straight away, but looking at it now, there's every chance he'll play on Friday night.

he might play friday night but you wouldnt think he would back up saturday night
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well if they don't play I doubt Bellamy will throw any debutants into centre.
If it comes down to it then I'm thinking Nielsen and Quinn in the centres or Nielsen and M.Blair or even Lowrie or Proctor.
Cronk will most likely back up of the three. Duffie could be rested since we have a few options there.
If the Broncos pull a last minute stunt and play their stars then I'm sure we'll see our test stars out there.
One things for sure though, their side is a lot stronger without their stars then us.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Here are the subs for Saturday's game. Niko is getting a wrap - I think he will be rewarded for his form in Qld cup.
MELBOURNE Storm could field a makeshift side for Saturday's clash with the Broncos because of representative commitments.
In-form five-eighth Gareth Widdop may shift to fullback, Rory Kostjasyn to hooker, Sisa Waqa on the wing and debutant Elijah Niko at left centre in possible selections.

Storm will fly 17 players to Brisbane tomorrow, with seven, including Kostjasyn, Maurice Blair and halfback Luke Kelly on stand-by, in case any representative stars fail to back up from appearances in tomorrow night's Test or City versus Country clash.

Beau Champion and Ryan Hinchcliffe, who will play for City and Country teams in Albury, are the most unlikely to back up. They won't go to Brisbane, instead returning to Melbourne for assessment.

The five Storm players involved in the Test will be checked at their Gold Coast hotel after the clash between the Kangaroos and Kiwis, with a decision on their fitness to be made on Saturday
Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said the club was used to asking players to play two games in a weekend, but this was the first time there was only 24 hours between games.

"We don't even get a light training session or team meeting between games. It makes a massive difference having games 24 hours apart," Ponissi said.

"We've selected all of them and we'll give them every opportunity to play. But the reality of seven backing up is low.

"We have four seasoned guys who have backed up before and it's more the three new representative guys - Champion, Hinchcliffe and Matt Duffie - we don't know about."

Ponissi said Kostjasyn and Blair were first in line for inclusion because they could play in the halves, centres or forwards, while Niko, 20, who has scored five tries in six Queensland Cup games, would also be considered.

Storm forward Adam Blair rolled his ankle at Kiwi training yesterday, but was not expected to miss the Test.

PLANS are well advanced to hold a rugby league Test between the Kangaroos and Kiwis in Turkey in 2015 to mark the centenary of the landing at Gallipoli.

ARL, NRL and NZRL officials will hand an official proposal to the Australian, NZ and Turkish governments within the next few weeks.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/s ... 6050174977
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Regarding Duffy being selected for N.Z would just like to say that this shows what a great Person and Coach Stephen Kearney is.Has the Paramatta coach he was strongly chasing Duffy with a hugh offer but Duffy thinking about his career resigned with the Storm.Kearney could of easily of snubbed Duffy and took his bat and ball home and selected someone else for N.Z but Kearney showing what a great person he his selected Duffy.Well Done Stephen Kearney.