Are the Rebels a Threat to Melbourne Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Go Storm wrote:The flogging by the Warratahs wouldn't have helped bolster crowd numbers. Obviously it did help kickstart the players' hearts. Maybe after last night's win their crowds may improve?? But then they'll be contending with the start to the AFL and NRL season's.
Their next home game is the same weekend as our Round 1 clash with the Sea Eagles. They play the Friday night and us the Saturday night. Parking/traffic will be shit for both games as the Neil Diamond concerts are on at Rod Laver Arena those nights.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why would anyone go to see the aging singer when they could go and watch Storm?
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Surandy wrote:
Go Storm wrote:The flogging by the Warratahs wouldn't have helped bolster crowd numbers. Obviously it did help kickstart the players' hearts. Maybe after last night's win their crowds may improve?? But then they'll be contending with the start to the AFL and NRL season's.
Their next home game is the same weekend as our Round 1 clash with the Sea Eagles. They play the Friday night and us the Saturday night. Parking/traffic will be shit for both games as the Neil Diamond concerts are on at Rod Laver Arena those nights.
That is sh*t, so round 1 for us will have union field markings all over it. :evil:
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

onlooker wrote:That is sh*t, so round 1 for us will have union field markings all over it. :evil:
It's no big deal, we played a game or two last season with soccer markings and three games with AFL markings. They just go over the old markings in green to roughly match the colour of the grass and then lay down the new markings.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Rebels game drew a bigger crowd than the Pies v Swans game (admittedly only a NAB Cup game) on the same night.

There would have been a number of "event" people who went the first week because it was the first game.

As noted above by Go Storm, the flogging by the Tahs wouldn't have helped. Some friends of mine said part way through on Friday night, when the Rebels scrum was constantly being penalised, why are we here? And there answer was they had already booked tickets for the Brumbies game before the season.

The Rebels crowd made significantly more noise than any Storm game at AAMI Park last year. Hopefully that is because we weren't playing for points and the crowd was a bit flat.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Have you noticed the Rebel's radio ad says they are bringing international rugby team to Melbourne. I wish they would use the phrase Rugby Union - Melbournians really need the distinction made.
I noticed on MMM when they were interviewing Cam Smith today that they also used the term Rugby, rather than Rugby League.

I thought Rebels would mean that locals would understand the difference between the two rugby codes but they are both still called Rugby here. Maybe it is a bit early??
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

stormsally wrote:Have you noticed the Rebel's radio ad says they are bringing international rugby team to Melbourne. I wish they would use the phrase Rugby Union - Melbournians really need the distinction made.
I noticed on MMM when they were interviewing Cam Smith today that they also used the term Rugby, rather than Rugby League.

I thought Rebels would mean that locals would understand the difference between the two rugby codes but they are both still called Rugby here. Maybe it is a bit early??
Very disappointing thing to read Sally. Let's hope the local media learn the difference soon so they can then go preach to others.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I make it a point to correct friends when they refer to rugby league as just rugby.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I've got two workmates who're full on rugby supporters. One plays scrum half in local league. Anyway they both went to games 1 & 2 but won't be going to any more. They'd rather watch it on tv. One has been to a Storm game with me at Olympic Park and reckons league is a better game to watch live.
I also have a couple of kiwi mates who've also already dropped the Rebels for their kiwi sides.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

15,126 there last night.
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Ice wrote:15,126 there last night.
At the rebels game?
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I hope the Rebels get more supporters to their games than the sydney teams. STORM even get more supporters to our games than most sydney league games.
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

Dissapointed to see the rebels had about 500 more people then the Storm this weekend.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The big difference between the Rebels and the Storm is the Rebels will get those fans of other teams to attend regulary. It will be a cold day in hell when fans of other teams i.e. eels, saints, broncos, tigers etc go to any other storm games when there team isnt playing. Conservitively, our shitty relationship with other teams probably costs us an extra 3-5k each week.