Greg Inglis to Brisbane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm Spirit wrote: Frank Ponissi's comments would appear to indicate that the split is not mutual......or at least it is not necessarily Melbourne Storm initiated.

Inglis appears to be turning his back on the Club in its greatest hour of need.

Yeah, unfortunately I  did read that after I posted.....
We would be crazy to let him go and pay monies to the Broncos.  Everyone is estimating he was earning $600,000 all up at the Storm, for all we know it may even be more, just look at what the Broncos are enticing him with...supposedly $675,000 plus a car and who knows what else.

Sounds to me like Ponissi might be also be having talks with Gallop, that why we won't hear about a decision till the end of the week.

I would like to hear from GI himself tbh, though I won't hold my breath.

I love GI, but he's put my nose out of joint at the moment.
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote:
mystormboys wrote: Going by ABC grandstand website - dont ask me to do the attachment thingy - we may not know til the end of week
MSB....I'll help you out .....http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ugbyleague

At least it looks like Ponissi is trying hard to get any cost differential as close to nil if we have to lose Inglis.

Not sure they can hold him if doesn't want to be at Storm...at least we've gotta screw Shoncos by making them pay higher than they want to.
If a player wants to leave on compassionate grounds why the fudge should the Storm make up the differance????

Are the Bulldogs gonna pay for Hannets shortfall????

If Ingliss was kicked out I'd understand.

FFS this league is idiotic to the extreme.
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
Monsoon
Monsoon

Maybe its not all clear cut...

STORM officials are set to decide how much Greg Inglis is really worth as they contemplate whether to release him or up to three other players to solve the remainder of the club's 2011 salary-cap problem.Former Storm assistant coach Michael Maguire last night helped halve the $1 million the club has to cut from its 2011 salary cap by finalising deals for Ryan Hoffman, Jeff Lima and Brett Finch to join him at Wigan next season.Hoffman and Lima were committed to Melbourne for next season but have been granted releases to save $500,000 from the Storm's cap. Finch was off contract.Kangaroos prop Brett White has agreed to a deal with Canberra and former NSW Origin winger Anthony Quinn has been linked with a move to Super League, while rival NRL clubs are interested in forwards Adam Blair, Sika Manu and Kevin Proctor but the Storm may be able to keep all of those players if they release Inglis to the Broncos. However, Inglis's departure is far from guaranteed. Inglis is also undecided about leaving and the Heraldhas been told his partner, Sally Robinson, who has a job with an events company in Brisbane, would be prepared to move to Melbourne.It is unlikely the Storm would agree to top up any contract Inglis signed with the Broncos - meaning he would have to take a pay cut if they could not match his $660,000-a-year deal. Despite last week's News Ltd report of the Deloitte audit estimating the Storm faced a $1,325,000 salary-cap blowout in 2011, the amount the club needs to cut is less than $1 million because of changes to the cap next season.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 10i0n.html

THE Storm have begun shedding their contracted players with Ryan Hoffman, Jeff Lima and Brett Finch officially offloaded to Wigan yesterday, but a move by Greg Inglis to Brisbane is far from a formality.Melbourne management was miffed by weekend reports suggesting the Broncos' signing of Inglis was imminent and said it remained hopeful of retaining the Test centre and fellow stars Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk.What is certain is there will be no movement on the Inglis front until the Storm number crunchers meet the NRL.  Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said a request to meet NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert had been sent to the governing body's headquarters and he hoped they would get together this week.Melbourne's task of trimming close to $1 million in talent in order to get under the 2011 salary cap is under way, with forwards Hoffman and Lima released to join English Super League club Wigan, and the off-contract five-eighth Finch also on the way to the team coached by former Storm assistant Michael Maguire.It is expected that more releases will be announced soon. NSW prop Brett White will join Canberra if he cannot be squeezed in while Newcastle and the Cowboys are sweating on a possible release of Sika Manu. North Queensland are interested in Kevin Proctor.Last week's News Ltd-commissioned report into the Storm's finances showed the club is $1.325m over the salary cap for next year but changes to the cap - including a $100,000 increase in the cap, $150,000 rise in the marquee player allowance, the loosening of third-party payment rules and the likely introduction of long-serving player concessions - mean the assignment will not be as imposing as it seems. Then there is the prospect of players renegotiating back-ended deals to alleviate the pressure in 2011, although they will have to be approved by the NRL.''We won't be totally there but we'll be in a far better position by the end of the week than we are today,'' Ponissi said.
Ponissi said word that Inglis was on the verge of signing for Brisbane, where his partner Sally Robinson works for an events company, was premature. ''There is a possibility it could happen but even if it does it will be a while off,'' he said. ''There has been renewed interest but in terms of any finalisation or requests for a release, nothing could be further from the truth there.''Inglis's manager, Allan Gainey, who last week rejected Brisbane's $400,000 offer for his client, said ''the ball was in the Storm's court'' regarding a release. It is understood the Broncos have secured a further $125,000 in third-party funding from the Queensland Former Origin Greats (FOGs), which would help close the gap between Inglis's Storm salary of $660,000 a season.Melbourne have indicated they would not be prepared to pick up the difference in his salary and include it under next year's Storm salary cap if it was of substantial volume.Gainey said Inglis's first preference, if it was determined he had to leave Melbourne, was the Broncos rather than the Gold Coast, who have also expressed interest in the 23-year-old.The Storm last night confirmed the departures of Hoffman, Lima and Finch in a statement. Hoffman signed for one year at Wigan with an option for a second, Lima for three years and Finch for two years.Hoffman leaves Melbourne after eight years and two premierships, which were rescinded in April because of the Storm's cap breaches."It was a very tough decision to go but hopefully, with me taking this opportunity overseas, it will give someone else the chance to have the same great experiences that I have had here,'' Hoffman said. "I'm proud and honoured to have been able to play for the Storm.''Farewelling the trio was a sad occasion, Storm coach Craig Bellamy said. "Ryan, as an example, has been here for eight seasons since he was 18, and in that time I've been fortunate enough to watch him develop from a boy to a man,'' Bellamy said."These three players will forever be remembered by all at the club for the contributions that they have made to both the Melbourne Storm and to the game".

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 10hvx.html
Monsoon
Monsoon

And on foxsports..

Greg Inglis may yet have a future at Melbourne with three players leaving

By Melissa Woods and Wayne Heming
July 19, 2010

Greg Inglis may yet have a future at the Melbourne Storm after the NRL club revealed on Monday night three players had signed deals with English club Wigan.Seeking to slash $1.325 million worth of talent to get under the salary cap, the club has started to chip away at its wages bill with Ryan Hoffman, Jeff Lima and Brett Finch confirmed departures to the Super League side. Inglis - one of the "big four" at the Storm along with Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk - was thought to be on the cusp of a deal with Brisbane but the Melbourne side's earlier suggestion they were still in the hunt for the superstar centre may yet ring true. "There has been renewed interest (from Brisbane) but in terms of any finalisation or requests for a release, nothing could be further from the truth there," Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said. "He's (Inglis) been linked to the Broncos but in terms of getting close to a signature, it's premature, if it's going to happen at all. "He might be leading people up the garden path because at this stage he's got a contract for the next two years with the Melbourne Storm and that's where it stands."

Hmmmmm maybe GI isnt going anywhere, honestly we only need to trim $500,000 more, we can cut quinn and white instead and keep GI.. Your the man ponissi, keep GI in Melbourne!
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I am not sure wether the problem is so much "if we can keep him" as "does he want to stay?" It would be very hard for Melbourne Storm to keep Inglis if he is intent on going to Brisbane due to his girlfriend supposedly getting a lucrative job there!!! :?
[b]Who Dares Wins!!![/b]
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Still haven't heard from Greg
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Greg has said on a number of occasions that he wants to stay, but as the most vunerable of the 'big four' I don't blame him for having an exit plan ready.

If the Storm decided to release Slater or Smith - would they have a club that could meet their contract? 

If someone goes we all know it will be Inglis - it doesn't mean he WANTS to go.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Foxsports said an announcement will be made tomorrow that GI has signed with the Ponies :icon_frown:
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormsally wrote: Greg has said on a number of occasions that he wants to stay, but as the most vunerable of the 'big four' I don't blame him for having an exit plan ready.

If the Storm decided to release Slater or Smith - would they have a club that could meet their contract? 

If someone goes we all know it will be Inglis - it doesn't mean he WANTS to go.
He could always agree to extend his current contract by 2 - 3 years and signifcantly reduce his salary to a more manageable level for the storm. But that would mean he can't play with his new love buddies lockyer and thaiday.

Even ballsup said that salary cuts were an option with contract extensions.

IF he WANTED  to stay he could do it...it would mean some financial pain for him in the short term, but then again isn't he signing for only 400k + 3rd party deals at the ponies.

He's going cos he wants to go...he's not being pushed
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Usually these reports come true when they say he'll announce it tomorrow.
I'll reserve my opinion until I hear from Greg.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The only thing Id be disappointed about with GI leaving is he doesnt stay for one more year to give it a real crack in 2011.

However whoever suggested he should take a massive pay-cut to stay is living in fairy-land, I mean Cooper Cronks manager has come out and said he wont be taking any type of pay-cut (nor should he) so whats the difference.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm press conference at 2pm TODAY, rumours are either to confirm GI is leaving/staying OR to announce a ne storm CEO!

Hold onto your hats...
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd say it'll be the CEO announcement. I doubt they'd call a presser for a player leaving but then again you can never be too sure what News will do  :x
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cant wait to see who our new NEWS LTD lackey will be  :roll: :roll: :roll: ...............  ](*,)
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Ron Gauci from Verizon. Never heard of him :P

And the nuffie on Foxsports just pronounced it as Gorsie LOL. Has he never heard of Darren Gauci. Think he's only won a Melb Cup or two  :?
Last edited by jellyhead on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.