Greg Inglis to Brisbane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tugga wrote: As much as we all love GI, the difference between his best and worst is unfathomable. His best is, well the best. His worst stinks. He really only plays blinders in GFs, SOOs and in a Roos jersey.
I would be sad to see him go but hope that whoever takes him pays as close to 100% of his salary as possible. Also allows us to field a more competitive roster going forward, which is vital. We aint gonna win a premiership for a few years at least and while we ride out this storm (pun intended) we need to field a competitive team in a very fickle market.
Sounds like I am writing his obituary as a Storm player. I guess I am.

You make some excellent points tugga. Taking away the emotional aspect, it makes sense in many more ways in regards for the good of the club for him to move on as opposed to him staying. I posted earlier in the thread when he said he was staying, while i was happy we kept him i hope it wouldn't come back to bite us on the arse if he left in 2 years time when his contract was up then and thought it'd be better off keeping 2-3 or more good players with the money we saved from him instead of just the one.
stormfan
Squall
Squall

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again. It's not so much that he's possibly leaving that's getting to me, it's that he's linked to the Broncos. Of all the teams he could possibly go to, that's the one that hurts the most. It's like rubbing salt into the wound. The courier mail up here (I live in Brisbane) is already declaring it 'the greatest bronco recruit of all time'.

Which I think says it all, the Broncos may spend up big to recruit star players (once they actually become stars mind you) but the fact remains that we are the ones to find them and nuture them into what they are today. Yes, it's going to take time, but with Craig and the support coaching staff, I think we will be all right. We just have to get through the hard times now.

And hey, as everyone else says, won't it just make lifting the trophy in the seasons to come all the more sweeter!!
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Hmmm.. so he hasn't signed yet. I will be so pissed if Storm are forced to pay out 200k or what ever to Inglis, when he is the one wanting out!!!!
madstorm
Squall
Squall

I agree if they want to leave and are not being tapped on the shoulder then we should not have to subsidise them for another club.  I loved dallas but was not happy he got paid out, he asked to leave and went overseas so I found that wrong.  Only time it should happen is if a player sustains a career ending injury and has to retire.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Pretty sure the rest of his salary will be taken up by a 3rd party.
Also, it's not like he is being kicked out of our club kicking and screaming and begging for mercy to stay.
I think this move will be in the best interests of everyone.
I'm resigned to it now and I am firmly convinced in my own mind that it is the best decision.
2012 premiers. Legit.
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

tugga wrote: Pretty sure the rest of his salary will be taken up by a 3rd party.
Also, it's not like he is being kicked out of our club kicking and screaming and begging for mercy to stay.
I think this move will be in the best interests of everyone.
I'm resigned to it now and I am firmly convinced in my own mind that it is the best decision.
Agree
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

If Inglis signs with The Broncos,Bellamy should stand him down immediatly and give some of the young guns who want to play with the Storm a run,what the hell,what do we have to lose,why give him game time..let him get fat on the sidline,  he tends to do that a bit in the off season
[b]Who Dares Wins!!![/b]
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Going by ABC grandstand website - dont ask me to do the attachment thingy - we may not know til the end of week
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mystormboys wrote: Going by ABC grandstand website - dont ask me to do the attachment thingy - we may not know til the end of week
MSB....I'll help you out .....http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ugbyleague

At least it looks like Ponissi is trying hard to get any cost differential as close to nil if we have to lose Inglis.

Not sure they can hold him if doesn't want to be at Storm...at least we've gotta screw Shoncos by making them pay higher than they want to.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The NRL have offered to 'help' the club - with the carryover of monies into 2011 cap - if the court case is dismissed.  I suspect that is what they are waiting for.  It's not as if they haven't had time to think about this issue.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Storm Spirit wrote:
mystormboys wrote: Going by ABC grandstand website - dont ask me to do the attachment thingy - we may not know til the end of week
MSB....I'll help you out .....http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ugbyleague

At least it looks like Ponissi is trying hard to get any cost differential as close to nil if we have to lose Inglis.

Not sure they can hold him if doesn't want to be at Storm...at least we've gotta screw Shoncos by making them pay higher than they want to.

I was alarmed to read this part

Inglis's Sydney-based manager Allan Gainey remained hopeful the Storm would come to the party and
give him a release after accepting Brisbane's original offer last Thursday.

How can his manager accept anything when he has a contract with Storm for another 2 years...
This whole GI saga has got to come to an end and fast... I want him to stay and will not be
happy if he goes .. but in the end he has to sleep with his demons for leaving a club and
supporters that have more than stood by him and the team this year through so much
hardship and personal issues.....

Lets just get it over with and bring on the roster for 2011 pweassseeeeeee
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Do third party deals count against the gap between what he'd be paid at the Broncos and here?  Say his salary here is $600k and the Broncos pay $400k, would a third party deal on top of that (worth $200k - for argument's sake) get us out of topping up his pay?  I'm not sure how these things work so hopefully someone else does.
You had me at meat tornado.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sad to see him go, I just wish we'd hear something from him and not his manager or anyone else.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

absentee wrote: Do third party deals count against the gap between what he'd be paid at the Broncos and here?  Say his salary here is $600k and the Broncos pay $400k, would a third party deal on top of that (worth $200k - for argument's sake) get us out of topping up his pay?  I'm not sure how these things work so hopefully someone else does.
I'm not 100% sure, but according to Sundays Herald Sun Page 2. sports lift out. (I can't find the link) -

Broncos will be paying GI $400,000
Plus a car
$275,000 Third Party Deals (approved by the NRL - of course :lol:)

Which suggests the work being done behind the scenes by Ponissi, should eliminate the payment we have to make to the Broncos.

I will be furious if this is not the case.
Last edited by CooperCronk on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Frank Ponissi's comments would appear to indicate that the split is not mutual......or at least it is not necessarily Melbourne Storm initiated.

Inglis appears to be turning his back on the Club in its greatest hour of need.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time