Radical NRL salary cap changes to ward off rivals

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5882449839

* EXCLUSIVE by Dean Ritchie
    * June 22, 2010 12:00AM

THE NRL is finally and firmly fighting back against big-spending rivals, the AFL and rugby union.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that marquee players can now earn another $300,000 a year on top of their existing NRL contracts.

The initiative is expected to be ratified at a club chief executives conference today.

It is understood the move will ensure rugby league's elite players stay in the NRL, unlike Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau, who walked out for the big money in AFL.

Currently, each club can spend a total of $150,000 on three marquee players - $50,000 each - to top up their contracts.

That figure will now increase to $300,000 with the three-player restriction lifted.

That means clubs can spend the money on several players - or just one.

One official said: "It means that the big-name players on $500,000 a year can now earn $800,000 a year. There's no doubt that will stop them going to rival codes."

The NRL is also ready to announce that the salary cap will be lifted from $4.1 million to $4.2 million while the NRL grant to each club was lifted by $300,000 a year last week.

An alteration to the long-service grant will also be discussed today.

Players with eight years experience can attract a $100,000 increase to their club's salary cap.

That could now be $100,000 for players with six years service and then another $100,000 after eight years.

Asked if the moves were aimed at rugby league retaining its stars, leading manager George Mimis said: "I think doubling the marquee player allowance and relaxing the rules applied to it clearly gives clubs an opportunity to retain marquee players."

South Sydney chief executive and NRL salary cap committee member, Shane Richardson, said the changes were aimed at offering players better money.

"The marquee player payment shouldn't have any restrictions," Richardson said.

"The whole idea is to make sure the players can earn more money in our game. We aren't changing the salary cap - just the mentality of the salary cap.

"We also have to be flexible in what we do."

NRL chief executive David Gallop added: "We are looking at some expansion of the existing concessions to ensure that we are maximising our third-party payments and compensating long-serving players.

"But affordability is still the key and giving fans of every club the most chance of their team competing each week."

This can only give us hope of retaining Smith, Cronk, Inglis and Slater, and some mid range paid players - unless of course Gallop and News Ltd try to F*$K us over again!!
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

:lol:, they must be spewing. Tfey want us too disband but realise they have to make changes to it that will only help us.

BTW the world wont fall in when this happens, teams will still have peaks and troughs at which point were entitled to ask why the baboons didnt bring rules like this in years ago.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bit of basic 'off the top of my head maths'

lowest estimate of our overspend is $700,000.
Salary cap has been increaesed by $100,000 so we are $600,000 over
Increase in marquee payment $300,000 - puts us $300,000 over.

We've lost Tolman, Tandy, at least $100,000 between them - $200,000 over
Finch & lima will probably go at the very least $200,000 between them - puts us level :lol: :lol: ;D :D

plus minor breaches of the cap are only financial penalties so could go out a buy a couple of Bryan norrie/ryan tandy type players/contracts and all looks good for next year :lol:
just my opinions......critique them, don't criticise me!!!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

NRL chief executive David Gallop added: "We are looking at some expansion of the existing concessions to ensure that we are maximising our third-party payments and compensating long-serving players.
More Gallop speak  :roll:

Translation = Everyone is starting to panic & I had to do get off my arse to do something that should have been addressed years ago :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

coupy73 wrote: Bit of basic 'off the top of my head maths'

Finch & lima will probably go at the very least $200,000 between them - puts us level :lol: :lol: ;D :D

plus minor breaches of the cap are only financial penalties so could go out a buy a couple of Bryan norrie/ryan tandy type players/contracts and all looks good for next year :lol:

It was increased by 150k wsnt it.. so from 150k to 300k? or was it increased 300k from 150k to 450k?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

simo wrote:

It was increased by 150k wsnt it.. so from 150k to 300k? or was it increased 300k from 150k to 450k?
Went from 150k to 300k for marquee players and the 3 player restriction is to be lifted (ie had to be spent across 3 players previously but now can be used on just 1 player).

Also long serving player cap allowances were also mooted...100k after 6 years and another 100k when 8 years are reached.

I read that this long serving player allowance was being considered...not sure if it made it over the line though. Would really help with cam, billy, coops and GI.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm ready to drop some big money on storm for the 2011 premiership

I think that the boys will really feel they have something to prove to all those wankers that do nothing but belittle the team and their achievements.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm Spirit wrote:
simo wrote:

Went from 150k to 300k for marquee players and the 3 player restriction is to be lifted (ie had to be spent across 3 players previously but now can be used on just 1 player).

Also long serving player cap allowances were also mooted...100k after 6 years and another 100k when 8 years are reached.

I read that this long serving player allowance was being considered...not sure if it made it over the line though. Would really help with cam, billy, coops and GI.
kk. i get it now  :D
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

This is all very well but wasn't Gallop insisting (or made a new rule) that our current playing group be disbanded because he didn't want a repeat of the Bulldogs winning the premiership in '04 with the over the cap playing group of '02??  Hence, even if our players took massive pay cuts to get us under the cap for '11, that would not be good enough.

Also, I've just heard a rumour that there's an announcement by the end of the week about one of our big four .  In other words, an unreliable source perhaps.
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

And that's exactly why we are now in court, because Gallop can't just make up the rules on the hop, he has to follow process.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

jellyhead wrote: This is all very well but wasn't Gallop insisting (or made a new rule) that our current playing group be disbanded because he didn't want a repeat of the Bulldogs winning the premiership in '04 with the over the cap playing group of '02??  Hence, even if our players took massive pay cuts to get us under the cap for '11, that would not be good enough.

Also, I've just heard a rumour that there's an announcement by the end of the week about one of our big four .  In other words, an unreliable source perhaps.
I beleive what Ballsup personally wants and what Ballsup is legally able to insist upon....may well be two very different things.

As for your Big 4 player rumour...can you be any more specific about who it is ?
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Storm Spirit wrote:
jellyhead wrote: This is all very well but wasn't Gallop insisting (or made a new rule) that our current playing group be disbanded because he didn't want a repeat of the Bulldogs winning the premiership in '04 with the over the cap playing group of '02??  Hence, even if our players took massive pay cuts to get us under the cap for '11, that would not be good enough.

I beleive what Ballsup personally wants and what Ballsup is legally able to insist upon....may well be two very different things.

As for your Big 4 player rumour...can you be any more specific about who it is ?
Re the rumour ... nope that's all that was said but it's looking more like it was just BS.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Radical? What is radical about it?

It's just tinkering around the edges of what concessions already exist in the current salary cap rules.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Its about time for DG And the *lima lima lima duck* squad to do something about that
What about a minimalisation of cap usage for locally produced talent
and refinishing of junk of the NRL Scrapheap (Wouldnt hurt Storm,Manly,To many players to name from both clubs)
Its currently stupid,you make a player from scratch (Cronk,Watmough) and then they eat your caps ass out
Without the clubs they are part of producing them they would be no bigger than David Gallops penis

With the NRL Scrapheap refinishing,players like Rodney,Cross,Kite etc (Add melbourne players,i know they are there,i
cant think of one at this hour besides Finch and he wasnt THAT broken)

Help players be loyal to clubs and the game,dont rob fans of theyre favourite players from theyre respective clubs jerseys
Without this we are no better than the AFL,because they are coming and its time the NRL stood up and said

"ENOUGH,your obscure Arial Faggotry League will take no more men from us as its only an obscure southern Australian sport
with no global market *lima lima lima duck*!"

Without the big bucks the AFL is offering on premium league talent as a way to advertise their borderline homosexual garbage
Khunt and Folau would never have walked away from the chance to don the Maroon and Green and Gold jerseys for the rest of
theyre lives,The cap effects everyone,not just the victims of this seasons bullshit(Mel),its time for the NRL to redirect that pointed
finger away from bleak city and directly at itself

This article reads like the NRL is finally admitting its time for radical changes,however with DG and that *lima lima lima duck* squad i doubt they
would let Storm use this to theyre advantage next year as theyd see theyre own rule changes as a way for Melbourne to circumvent
theyre problem without adequate squad rapage from percieved misdeeds of the old administration of the said club,if NRL admin was
serious about helping Melbourne out of this terrible time id imagine that the *lima lima lima duck* Audit would have been over weeks ago.....
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wow Eagle, you've got a lot built up inside lol.
Scrapheap players, atm we have Norrie, Ryan Tandy was another who just left. We've had players like Matt King and David Kidwell, Jeff Lima etc etc
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]