Victory Lap - but no signings or pictures?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormmaster
Squall
Squall

It was directed at everyone not just you tigger.  I'm just wondering why everyone is suddenly bagging out the boys by saying they are up themselves etc.  We can't turn on our own we have The Eagle and billythekidslater to do that for us.  Fair enough he was nasty to the kids on Sunday, he aint like that all the time.  Ps I am not GI ha ha
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Not bagging all the guys - just me having my vent about GI  ;-)
The truth is that the club seems to be evolving into a much more 'distant' culture, tis sad for us oldies  :'(
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
madstorm
Squall
Squall

I cant say I have ever got that impression of GI.  My sons played for Altona roosters two seasons ago and my then just turned 5 year old tugged on my jacket and said Mummy there is Greg Inglis!  I turned around and he had a grin like a cheshire cat that my little man knew who he was and was very obliging to have photos taken and a chat to my boys.  He was just kicking back watching the under 9's play and was most polite and friendly in every way.  My 4 year old loves Greg and loves to run around with a ball in one hand pretending to swat off pretend opposition.  His prized possession is his photo with Greg.  I would be betting the constant attention the big 4 names are getting with the salary cap saga would be wearing them all down with every Tom Dick and Harry wanting to know their plans for next year.
noa nandruku
Squall
Squall

Rose and Tigger are 2 more of our crotchety posters  :-*.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oi, I thought I told you to lima lima lima duck                  off.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Look guys, I know GI has been nice and all that stuff in the past but I'm talking about lately.  Again, I state, this is MY own opinion.
The after party is now a totally different animal from what we've been used to and paying a bloody stupid amount of cash (yeah we're idiots for doing that but wanted to see what it would be like :P) for the kids to meet with the players and get photos & autographs  just like the old days.
GI just looked like he wanted to be anywhere else and was (in my humble opinion) not sucking it up for the one & a half hours and giving folk their moneys worth.  It's not that hard to pretend to be interested in the kids and smile a bit - I do it all the damn time  ;-)
Maybe I am too grumpy but I'm allowed to be cos - well, just cos!  :lol:

And btw Noa - I'm not crotchety at all!!!! :x  I'm just female  :P  :lol:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I didn't get the impression the players were distant (emotionally) for the lap - in fact they seemed very appreciative of our support.  I wonder what the stadium feels like from the ground, maybe the verticle nature of the stadium made them feel they needed to stand back a bit to be able to see the fans.  I'm not at the fence line, but the players didn't seem too far away and seemed very involved (not just going through the paces like can happen when they are more interested in having a conversation than acknowleding the crowd.).

BTW did you see the article in Big League where Hoffy spoke about the Melbourne fans support at the Canberra game - saying that they were at times louder than the Canberra crowd. :D
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I think the comments about the new environment seem right. I'm in the western stand so have to wait ages for the players to get around to where I am and as they were walking around they seemed a bit unsure of where to walk. I guess the lack of the athletics track is throwing them a bit.

Some of the players did come up to the fence line for signatures, hand slaps and the likes. We'll see what happens in the next couple of home games.

BTW Tigger, what sort of turnout did the After Party get? (I'm now glad the Club doesn't call it a Social Club anymore as it appears to be anything but Social).
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

How I saw it on Sunday -

I thought the players looked really tired and no wonder, what a fantastic effort they put in.  They must have been absolutely exhuasted defending the onslaught by the Dogs in the 2nd half.

Yet they still did a lap around the ground really dragging their feet.

I was so proud of them on Sunday.  They wanted to win the game for our supporters, the first home win, in appreciation of the support we have given them especially since the salary cap issues.

BTW I am a female and not crotechy.... ;D
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

How can the players not know where to go when doing a lap?  Just follow the fence.

To be honest, I think some players might not know how to handle the fans during a victory lap.  It may just be how they are - that doesn't make them bad guys.  Not everyone is going to be as enthusiastic and outgoing as Cam (for example) - especially when he's had time in the media.
You had me at meat tornado.
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've met GI a few times, and I agree - he didn't come across as the sort of personality I have much time for. I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again; Dallas Johnson is a bigger loss than Inglis, hypothetically speaking. One thing you can say about Dallas is that he gave his all week in, week out. Inglis has a crack when it suits him.

But yeah, coming down for my first match at Thunderdome next home game; all the players better be super enthusiastic and wave and shit.
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Were 8/3 mate and would have won the title with a leg in the air, Queensland won easily the other night, DJ is hardly missed on the field.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I actually dont turn on your players,i wish them the best this year (besides at brooky rd 22) and in 2011
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

glennb wrote: You are so wrong about Cooper Cronk.  My family have the SOOPER COOPER sign every home game, since Cronk has come into first grade (five years ago).  Every week he waves and says thank-you, some weeks he comes over and shakes our hands, (usally when we have played a great game).  When my son was younger and the players kicked footballs into the crowd, Cronk carried it all the way around Olympic Park to give it to my son.  After both Grand Final wins he has come over and hugged all of us.  After the Warriors match this year he made a point of waiting for photographers to move out of the way to get to the fence to speak to us.  He shook all our hands said thanks for coming/your support is great.  He made my seventeen year old daughters day by rubbing her shoulder while he shook her hand.  The jersey is now not allowed to be washed beacuse it has Cooper's sweat on it!

He did not come over on Sunday, but he did say thanks and wave at us.  To me, Cooper and a lot of others looked really tired after the game.  They did a lot of defence in the second half and this season has been very draining season for everyone.  

I think the players we get back to the Victory Lap we all love, just give them some timeand do not be so quick to be negative because they are our players.
Well there you go ..2 different opinions,doesnt make me wrong though does it,just makes it different to yours !!! as I said great player but needs a personality transplant in my own opinion
[b]Who Dares Wins!!![/b]