Victory Lap - but no signings or pictures?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

In years past during the victory lap players would often go up to ppl on the fences and get photos
or do signings for them.

But ive noticed recently they dont do that. Not at the moment anyhow. They just stay in mostly.

Is there a reason they have stopped doing this?
noa nandruku
Squall
Squall

First one on a rectangle ground, they were probably a bit disorientated.
mahoobla
Squall
Squall

I was with my three nephews and one of them commented that the players were 'even further away than at Olympic Park' during the victory lap. He was so disappointed because he thought that in the new stadium we would be 'even closer'.
noa nandruku
Squall
Squall

Id email the club and ask them to make sure the players do a better job next time.
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

We came down from level three with 2 kids we were all very disappointed with the
lack of a victory lap. I have never seen them do it like that before.

Doing that lap giving supporters contact is a very special thing that I had thought
our club and players prided themselves on. So for them not to come out and say
thanks, do high fives, autographs or photographs was disappointing. Especially now
that we can not afford to go the social club.....

Maybe it had something to do with the time frame due to speeches..... but I do
hope that it was a one off.

I also recommend emailing the club and expressing disappointment and to
see if this will continue in the future.
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A bloke phoned in this morning about this very thing and to say he was a little bit pissed about it is an understatement. He also said to get on the blower and let the club know about it if anyone else was upset by it as well. I can totally understand why they would be, especially those with kids who get a massive thrill getting so close to their heroes and getting a high five and a photo.

We've lamented several times on here that the days of the old social club in the first few years where we could mingle so closely with the players for a chat and a beer are long gone. We've all accepted that now given the game is much more professional these days but surely the players can spend an extra 10 minutes out on the ground and do a proper lap as has been tradition at our club since day one. The bloke this morning also made a good point that it was especially dissapointing given the way the fans have stuck by the club in the last month or 2.

I'm pretty confident after a few angry emails and calls to the club it won't happen again and they'll do a proper lap from now on.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

A lot of the players today really think they are above that,especially Cooper Cronk,I know he is a good player and I wouldnt like to see him play for any body else but us,but he really does need to pull his head in at times and see just where the butter on his bread is coming from !!
[b]Who Dares Wins!!![/b]
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

You are so wrong about Cooper Cronk.  My family have the SOOPER COOPER sign every home game, since Cronk has come into first grade (five years ago).  Every week he waves and says thank-you, some weeks he comes over and shakes our hands, (usally when we have played a great game).  When my son was younger and the players kicked footballs into the crowd, Cronk carried it all the way around Olympic Park to give it to my son.  After both Grand Final wins he has come over and hugged all of us.  After the Warriors match this year he made a point of waiting for photographers to move out of the way to get to the fence to speak to us.  He shook all our hands said thanks for coming/your support is great.  He made my seventeen year old daughters day by rubbing her shoulder while he shook her hand.  The jersey is now not allowed to be washed beacuse it has Cooper's sweat on it!

He did not come over on Sunday, but he did say thanks and wave at us.  To me, Cooper and a lot of others looked really tired after the game.  They did a lot of defence in the second half and this season has been very draining season for everyone.  

I think the players we get back to the Victory Lap we all love, just give them some timeand do not be so quick to be negative because they are our players.
Last edited by glennb on Mon May 31, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

We too at the Bai Stand noticed the players staying clear of the fence after the game  :?  Let's hope they don't make it a habit.
On the subject of the nice players -  we too have had nothing but pleasurable experiences with most of the guys including Cooper who is always quick with a smile & takes time to allow kids pics & signatures.
I must comment after the 'Mother After party" yesterday (and what a crock of crap THAT particular gig is, but that's for another discussion) that Greg Inglis seemed to be the epitome of arrogance  :x
Sitting at a table with his phone attached to his left ear and having kids waiting to get an autograph or photo - he took the pens and signed jerseys whilst still talking and not even looking at the kids, didn't get up once, no photos for the kids - the guy is a bloody pain in the butt!!  He was not playing so he can't use the 'I'm tired' excuse, I'm bloody sick of him - all the other players there were absolutely wonderful but GI just wasn't interested, what a knob!!!  :x
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree about GI he never seems intrested in anyone other than himself.  That  is what makes me think he is not going to leave Melbourne.  He could not stand Sydney where he can not walk down the street.  In Melbourne he hardly get regionzed and I think he likes it like that.  One of the things Izzy hated when first moved to Brisbane was how much people regonized him, he got mobbed at a Milkbar by school kids one day and he nearly had a breakdown.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

glennb wrote: I agree about GI he never seems intrested in anyone other than himself.  That  is what makes me think he is not going to leave Melbourne.  He could not stand Sydney where he can not walk down the street.  In Melbourne he hardly get regionzed and I think he likes it like that.  One of the things Izzy hated when first moved to Brisbane was how much people regonized him, he got mobbed at a Milkbar by school kids one day and he nearly had a breakdown.
Sorry, have to disagree with you on that one. I really think he is just so far up himself that he loves the attention.  He just seems to think he's the shizz and way too good to even speak to lowly supporters. 
Ever since the 'call me Clive' rubbish from a few years ago he's been pulling this crap.  We really don't need divas in our team  :icon_frown:
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

You make a good point.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

GI stood near us before 1/2 time and had no problem signing autographs n having pictures taken
stormmaster
Squall
Squall

I have met GI a few times and each time he was awesome.  People do have bad days you know.  I sure most of you don't live your lives NICE all the time.  Why don't we rename post "GI whinge fest"
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

stormmaster wrote: I have met GI a few times and each time he was awesome.  People do have bad days you know.  I sure most of you don't live your lives NICE all the time.  Why don't we rename post "GI whinge fest"
And you would be the forum copper would you??  Everyone is entitled to an opinion - even you, that doesn't mean I have to agree does it?
I stated that GI was quite rude to the kids at the after party, he was there to 'meet & greet' just like the other players who turned up and were very gracious.
My own opinion of him is that he's up himself - you don't need to like it.

As I also said before - let's hope the guys do a slightly 'closer' lap next time so the kids can get their kicks  :D