Who might go ???

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

endo wrote:
glennb wrote: According to Sydney papers.  We can not reduce player payments to get under the cap, like the Bulldogs did.  The NRL have closed this loop hole.  We must offload players.  Players (big names) could leave as early as next month.
Man there are always ways around these things..

Lets say for instance that Billy has a get of contract clause and is willing to stay with a paycut?

He could in act the clause, which means storm release him, and storm can then resign him at a lower rate? (No im not waldron in disguise :P)

Personally.. Cut GI, he's probably payed enough to get us under the cap. Yeah he CAN be a great player. But he is inconsistent. He seems to always come up around origin time.. and finals time.

If we can get away with just cutting GI and keep the rest, its a no brainer.

I was thinking about something similar, or why can't they mutually agree to terminate their contracts and then re-sign a new reduced contract?
Thats assuming players are prepared to do that to stay at the club. But then I realised the NRL probably wouldn't endorse the new contract
(as additional punishment).
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

David Gallop explained the not playing for pionts this season today.  His reasons were we cheating with the playing group we have got and if the current playing gropu took a pay cut and stayed it would be the same playing group that was cheating and that we be unfair to the other clubs.  Also, we let players go to get under the salary cap this year, where would the players go because not many clubs can fit them under their cap.  Also, this would not be fair to the other clubs because these players might have a chance to win a championship with another club.  He also said if we got negative pionts and still kept winning games we would finish above other teams and this is not fair because we should not finish above any other club.
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

First of all, I want all players who knew about the payments out of the club.

Speculatively, most of our top tier players would have been in on it.
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Whilst thats true in part about the cheating side of things I only buy into it a little. In reality the players should
still be able to re-negotiate their contracts for a lesser amount with the Storm if they should choose to do so.
What Gallop is basically saying is that we should NOT be able to keep all our playing roster, so in affect some
players WILL need to move on even if they don't want to and are prepared to stay at Storm for less.

KK: Its still too early to tell if any players were in on it. People go on and on about a player would know because
he would have more money in his account than expected. That may not be the case. Whose to say they didn't
sign a contract for the money that was being provided to them and then a different contract given to the NRL
which showed a lesser amount (ie: under the cap). How many players might just sign something without actually
reading it particularly when their grubby managers are involved? They place an amount of trust in the manager and
the rest is left up to the manager and the club. BUT... if it turns out some players were aware of it then they should
be sacked just as anyone involved should be sacked and they all should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Like I said, purely speculatively. But this year we're talking $700,000 over the cap. That can't just be all management fee's mate. Looking back to the resigning debacles over some of our players, It can't all be ignorance.
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

KimmorleyKiller wrote: Like I said, purely speculatively. But this year we're talking $700,000 over the cap. That can't just be all management fee's mate. Looking back to the resigning debacles over some of our players, It can't all be ignorance.

I heard on TV earlier that numerous contracts were back ended which is why its so large this year.
It was getting out of control. Even if this wasn't uncovered recently I doubt they would've been
able to keep it quiet for too much longer without the need to shed a few bigger name players. I
guess to some extent this explains the persistent rumours about Jeff Lima being shopped around.
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hailstorm wrote:
KimmorleyKiller wrote: Like I said, purely speculatively. But this year we're talking $700,000 over the cap. That can't just be all management fee's mate. Looking back to the resigning debacles over some of our players, It can't all be ignorance.

I heard on TV earlier that numerous contracts were back ended which is why its so large this year.
It was getting out of control. Even if this wasn't uncovered recently I doubt they would've been
able to keep it quiet for too much longer without the need to shed a few bigger name players. I
guess to some extent this explains the persistent rumours about Jeff Lima being shopped around.

How I see it, is that it was a POTENTIAL over spend of $700K, this could mean triggers within contracts like, players reaching a mile stone of a certain number of games played at the club, being picked for rep duties, etc. All these would attract a dollar value paid to players and would come under the salery cap. Clubs in the past have off loaded players before having to payout these trggers in contracts, Newcastle did it with an ex Melbourne Forward, so he missed out on I beleive $80k. So reading between the lines we have not yet this yaer reached the $700k but POTENTIALY could do during the season if all contract were allowed to play out......ps, if we got under the salery cap for next year with the same playing roster from cuts ,etc, how the hell can the NRL do anything about it legally??
Last edited by BigG on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Think the player was Kirk Reynoldson only had one more game to play to activate another years contract he was well screwed
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

BIG JIM wrote: Think the player was Kirk Reynoldson only had one more game to play to activate another years contract he was well screwed
Yep it was him. Ruined the poor guy. Was mentally shattered about that. Brian Smith you are a big fat *lima lima lima duck*.
2012 premiers. Legit.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I will believe the playrs are innocent - unless it is shown otherwise.  To do anything else is to pass the blame on to innocent victims of all of this. 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/e ... 5857632667

Acting Storm boss Matt Hanson surrendered documents, kept at his home, that detail allegedly illegal third-party payments to three players.

But they show that in at least one case the player was told all payments would be kept within the salary cap.

Sources said police also spoke to auditors investigating the paper trail left by several Storm officials.

The Herald Sun believes Storm and the NRL were handed the dossier, which detailed illegal payments that rose to as much as $700,000 this year.

It is believed the secret dossier was originally kept at home by former Storm CEO Brian Waldron, who quit his post at the rugby union Melbourne Rebels in disgrace.

It is the first hard evidence of this year's alleged rorting. Details also were surrendered for 2008-09.

The documents are believed to describe how the third-party payments were made; in one case, everything the player was to be paid was through this illegal system, believed to include sponsorship. It is believed the letters give the impression, or state explicitly, that Storm will guarantee the payments.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

Does anyone think Finch will leave?

I will be a shattered man if it happens.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I honestly don't think Finchy will. Of course next season he'll move on which was always going to happen anyway. Then again maybe if he was offered a big dollar deal from the UK he might take it but i don't think he will. This season might not be as big a waste as what we think, it'll be the perfect time to blood the yougsters and give them a few games in the big time. Duffie will get his chance tomorrow and i'm sure he won't be the last of the kids to get a crack.
Joe_Storm_FB_2025
Squall
Squall

KimmorleyKiller wrote: First of all, I want all players who knew about the payments out of the club.

Speculatively, most of our top tier players would have been in on it.
I vote this the dumbest post so far
[quote="billythekidslater"]
Yeah I am a troll. [/quote]
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So uh, are you going to elaborate on that or are you just 'putting it out there'

Dick-head.
Last edited by KimmorleyKiller on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Buzz"]
[/quote]

Monsoon
Monsoon

1 player refused to sign it, one was decieved to believe everything was legit.. so 1 player still knowingly cheated i guess, personally i dont care if its 1 of the big 4, they must be shown the door immediately.