Crowd for Friday

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I was greatly surprised by the turnout. It was a good turnout. but the audio system was not working it seemed, and there was a concert going on outside the venue. so very confusing. I guess thats just CRAPIHADS!
Joe_Storm_FB_2025
Squall
Squall

did they open up the gates in the end??
[quote="billythekidslater"]
Yeah I am a troll. [/quote]
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

purh i thought we would get 20k but to get 25k is great
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

What poor organisation.

What a stupid place for Storm to set up their tiny membership/cap collection tent, right in the middle of the footbridge from the station to the ground. I got there just after 1pm and the long queues of people trying to get their tickets/membership packs/caps before the game were largely blocking the footbridge.

Then I get to the closest gate and some idiot on the PA system is telling people queueing for game day tickets to walk around to the right to another gate where there apparently were no queues. Problem was that on the concourse to the right were huge crowds blocking the concourse.

Guess I'll try and get my cap next home game.

On the crowds, I was impressed with the amount of people in purple outside the ground before the game, I thought we were going to get well over 30,000, maybe even close to 40,000.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Well done to the Storm faithful, casual supporters, etc. Three and a bit rounds into the 2010 competition and Storm currently have the 3rd biggest crowd. The only team doing better than us is Brisbane!

There are only two other games to have had crowds over 20k and both of those were local derbies between Souths & Roosters with 23,149 and Tigers & Eels with 21,318.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2010.html
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yeah, the membership tent was a bit ridiculous.  I must have stood there for at least half an hour.  I was going to give up and leave after a little while but I figured it would probably be the same next time so I just kept waiting.  They should have had an express line just for people collecting caps.

I don't even like the members hats, anyway.  They never fit my fat head properly.
You had me at meat tornado.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

We had a few people a tad peeved that after all the rubbish during the week about not having student concessions they were selling them at the ticket booth on the day  :?
Still think we would have had more people if the gen admission prices were comparable to........ ANYTHING ELSE  :P

Good crowd figure all the same - pity though we couldn't get a decent Melbourne chant going ALL around the stadium at the same time  ;-)
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Can someone shed any light on the report that I got that SEN said there were lots of people who couldn't get in on Friday????
I believe lots left in disgust.

If this is true, this is catastrophic for us. can you imagine how many of them would have been first timers who will be seriously put off about going again???

Also, agree with the amazing sea of purple and navy outside of the ground. I just wanted to just a high vantage point and drink it all in. It was a realisation for me that finally Melbourne is going ape sh!t for the Storm.

As I have posted on numerous boards, if entertainment value was a direct correlation to bums on seats, Storm would be a lock out every week.

By comparison, Melbourne Victory would be playing to 3000. A poorer standard of the beautiful round ball game would be truly hard to find.
Here's me and my new best friend! Sweeeeeeeet!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Don't know about people leaving but by about 1.25 the line at the ticket booth from gate 4 led almost to the gate 5 entry.  Lots of people not happy there but they wouldn't move to the gates where 'apparently' there were no queues.  :dontknow:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Kettles wrote: Can someone shed any light on the report that I got that SEN said there were lots of people who couldn't get in on Friday????

If this is true, this is catastrophic for us. can you imagine how many of them would have been first timers who will be seriously put off about going again???
Yep.  Whilst my friend and myself got our tickets in the mail, we took along a couple of newbies to the game who had to queue for about 1/2 hr or more for their tickets.  We stood quite close to the long S queue near Gate 1 and heard some people at the end of queue say - this is pathetic and walked off in disgust toward the ramp heading to the train station.

I would imagine many others would have done the same.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hopefully any first-timers that may have been put off because of queues will come back for the Broncos game at AAMI Park.
You had me at meat tornado.
Joe_Storm_FB_2025
Squall
Squall

Kettles wrote: Can someone shed any light on the report that I got that SEN said there were lots of people who couldn't get in on Friday????

Lots of people  left  in disgust. I know this first hand.
Also that que near the train ramp suddenly dissapeared so thats why I asked if they just opened the gates sometime after the game started.
[quote="billythekidslater"]
Yeah I am a troll. [/quote]
mahoobla
Squall
Squall

I would not be surprised if people just gave up and went home - it was a shambles! My Mum had to queue for FREE junior tickets (we are trying to brain wash the grankiddies into loving Storm). She went to the ticket window where the announcer declared that there were no people only to find it was just as bad as the one at the front (and she had to battle her way through all the Good Friday appeal people) - it took her over 45 minutes to get the free tickets (which you could only collect on the day) and get back to us waiting at the entrance - we arrived at Etihad one hour before the game but only got to our seat as Storm were running out on to the ground. If I were a casual supporter I would have left LONG before. We also decided that we would collect the member's caps at the next game (Manly on a Monday night) because the crowd will be half the size - hence much smaller queues.

Overall I found the organisation poor. The idea was good - get the captive Good Friday crowd - but on the day it was a nightmare. It would have been fine anywhere else except Etihad because we would not have had to compete with the Good Friday appeal crowds as well.

Very happy to see the whole game (I thought we were going to miss the start - but just jumped into any old GA seat just in time).

One down - two to go until our new home.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sorry, this is my first chance to post on this topic, and I am shocked to hear that the organisation was poor and that we lost crowd numbers and potential new fans/members due to this lack of skill in the organisation/admin department! :shock2:

:roll:
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It was a ticketmaster problem wasnt it.

Im sure I heard people in the line say that TM couldnt e-mail the tickets out to them.