2010 'After Party' Membership an added cost

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Noa, I do get your points but, having worked at the club myself I do know a bit about how it runs and budgets etc.  I also know that membership is but a very small drop in the ocean when it comes to the overall scheme of things.  The club is not 'owned' by the members and whilst I understand everyone's concerns about News pulling it's money you must know that we're not the only team with News backing us.
My worry is that the club is going down the AFL track whereby supporters only get games as part of the membership, also AFL clubs do have social clubs but people KNOW you'll be very lucky to even see a player or two there, ever.  If that's the case with Storm then I'd appreciate it if they let me know that is going to be the case before I part with my hard-earned.
I really don't mind not attending the members 'after party' but I reiterate that I'm sad I'll not really be able to catch up with Storm friends made over the years in the one place we've always had in common.

You may think I'm just sooking because I'm a sooky-la-la :P but again I say - comparable membership for our family from last year to this year has doubled.  Anyone has the right to be ticked at that.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tigger wrote: I really don't mind not attending the members 'after party' but I reiterate that I'm sad I'll not really be able to catch up with Storm friends made over the years in the one place we've always had in common.
ain't that the truth  =D>

Your last line gave me a chuckle as well Noa.
Can't recall ever having a 'casual beer' or ever being called 'mate' by any players,but what Tig said just about sums it up.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Tigger wrote: I really don't mind not attending the members 'after party' but I reiterate that I'm sad I'll not really be able to catch up with Storm friends made over the years in the one place we've always had in common.
You never know, Tigger, if the club has too many complaints about the extra $90 for entry into the social club or if they can't fill their quota, they may review it for next year...its not really set in stone.

I opted out of the after party this year, because I upgraded my membership, but might review it for next year.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I'm still undecided on the After Party add on.

At this stage I'm leaning towards giving it a miss. Take away a heap of the members I've befriended over the years and it's not really worth the extra $90.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well i sent an email friday asking exactly what was going to be the deal with the after party - at least i got a call back. To cut it short the party wont change, but you now pay for it as 'they only have so many spaces and could not fit all premium members so it now costs be be one of the 'lucky' ones. Bah give it a miss - if they are were going to actually do something new so be it but doesnt sound like they will
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I was suprised to see the after party as an additional cost - and even more suprised that the size is limited to 500.  I must jump on the old timers reminising bandwagon.  I remember the social club in the 'shed' at OP where you could get pre-dinner meals - get every players autograph - we sometimes had to ask someone else who they were before approaching them.  Farewelling Lazzo in the shed.  Then the Social Club at Docklands - it was huge and 'everyone' went there after the game.  I haven't been so keen on the Tennis Centre as a venue, and once the kids got too big to want to wait and see the players - the old fart in me thought the music was too loud, and it was too late to finish.

I'm not paying $90 - but if this is the new format - those of you who do will probably reminise about the great 'exclusive access' to the afterparty in 10 years time.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
Silkin Storm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I Typed my opinion to the club the day the memberships came out.

I also got a call yesterday about my email.

I pointed out the emotional attachment many of us old timers have to the social club & how it feels like they have ripped that part of us out . I made mention that we don't have a leagues club etc to congregate in and Many of us don't care if there is music  or someone going bleh bleh bleh on a mic up the front etc its all about being part of a storm family. having access to somewhere to have a drink  and congregate & celebrate or commiserate together after the games.

If I was given the option of just having a place to hang with friends after the game  ( a place I can take my kids) I would be happy with an empty room and a bar for the drinkers and some TV showing last weeks game and some friends. I would be OK with that. (Players or no Players)

Please note this is MY OPPINION I am not changing it ....
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
sgkp
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I have stayed and waited more than 2 hours to see one or two of the boys in the social club many times. I have arrived home after 1am many times. I will NOT be paying an additional $90.00 on top of my membership and then maybe be one of the 500 "ALLOWED" in. Storm have got this VERY WRONG. It has always been one of the biggest attractions of the club and the envy of most others.

sgkp
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

my only worry with the loss of the social club access as an option, is as has been said many times, this has been a great selling point to potential new fans.  I had a mate come a couple of times last season, and he's been saying he's keen to come again, as much for the social club as anything else. 
That's the worry for me in terms of a drawcard for new supporters
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

guys, I'd love it if you'd check out the sticky I've posted with a poll on the after party. 
Who know's if the club check this forum out but the poll may also let them know why people are upset too, given the options I've put up.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Silkin Storm wrote: I Typed my opinion to the club the day the memberships came out.

I pointed out the emotional attachment many of us old timers have to the social club & how it feels like they have ripped that part of us out . I made mention that we don't have a leagues club etc to congregate in and Many of us don't care if there is music  or someone going bleh bleh bleh on a mic up the front etc its all about being part of a storm family. having access to somewhere to have a drink  and congregate & celebrate or commiserate together after the games.

If I was given the option of just having a place to hang with friends after the game  ( a place I can take my kids) I would be happy with an empty room and a bar for the drinkers and some TV showing last weeks game and some friends. I would be OK with that. (Players or no Players)

i second that
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:
Silkin Storm wrote: I Typed my opinion to the club the day the memberships came out.

i second that
How can you 2nd that when your not an old timer &  you dont have kids .
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Noa Nandruku wrote:
nacho wrote:

i second that
How can you 2nd that when your not an old timer &  you dont have kids .
shhhh
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]