Inglis the big-match winner

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just another article to fill us with confidence.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 31,00.html

GRAND final week has been dominated by the looming clash between Billy Slater and Jarryd Hayne. Two fullbacks in career-best form are about to meet in the mother of all match-ups.

But lurking in the background is a man who, history would suggest, is more likely to prove the match-winner tomorrow night at ANZ Stadium. Storm centre Greg Inglis invariably saves his best for the biggest stage.

Remember two years ago when Inglis spent the days following Melbourne's premiership win referring to himself as Clive, in honour of his Clive Churchill Medal win in the grand final? Only last month he was named representative player of the year at the Dally M awards for his performances at State of Origin and Test level.

Where Inglis is concerned, big games usually translate to big performances. This from a 22-year-old who is only now beginning to understand the power he wields, both on and off the field.

As perverse as it might sound, the incident that led to Inglis being charged with assault of his former girlfriend this year could be remembered as the defining moment in his career.

Inglis has pleaded not guilty, yet the result has been a player who now realises his influence and appears intent on making the most of his potential.

"I had a talk to him after the whole thing happened," former Melbourne forward Robbie Kearns said. "He couldn't believe the hoo-ha around the incident. He couldn't believe the amount of attention that happened because of it.

"For the first time ever, I think he realised how much of a celebrity he is, and how much the young kids, particularly the indigenous kids, look up to him."

In four spectacular years, Inglis has become a superstar. Provided he stays on track, and doesn't get distracted by other codes or the promise of riches overseas, he could finish his career with a slew of records.

"Some of the stuff we have already seen from him at the age of 21 or 22 is up there with the best ever," Kearns said.

"I remember they used to say they were earmarking him as the next Mal Meninga. At the age of 22 he's dominating like Mal Meninga dominated later in his career.

"Is he going to get better? I think he will. If he was to play his best game every week, he would win the Dally M Medal by a country mile.

"It's up to him to mentally get a bit stronger and be backing up his performances every week, and get that consistency in his game.

"He already is an absolute superstar in the game."

Sydney Roosters recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan, the man who discovered Inglis, said: "He's the best athlete in any code playing in the country. He's certainly getting better. There's no doubt about that. He's not drifting out of games like he used to.

"In big games he comes to the fore."

Where raw talent is concerned, Inglis is without peer.

"He's just naturally an athlete, naturally talented," Queensland and Australia captain Darren Lockyer said.

"He has everything. He's got speed, he's got strength, he's got agility and he's skilful with the footy as well -- he can kick it, he can pass it, there's nothing he can't do. He's one of those guys where if you get them enough football, you know he's going to do something."

Lockyer also has a theory on why Inglis is at his best in big games: "He probably has his quieter games when there's not much on the line. Whenever the big ones roll around, he's always going to play a big part in the game. Quite often, he's the difference."

As good as he promises to be on the field, Inglis's greatest legacy could be away from football. He is studying youth work and has already begun working with children through the NRL's indigenous programs.

"For a young kid, who at one stage wasn't completing his Year 12 and was thrown into the spotlight in terms of being a superstar, I think he has become more comfortable with his own identity over the last 18 months," said NRL education manager Matt Francis, who has worked closely with Inglis in recent years.

"I really do think when he started to do his youth work course and started to look at different visions of where his life might have headed, or he's looked at where different friends may have headed down the wrong path, he realises he's got the potential to help.

"Not many people are given that opportunity. In terms of working with indigenous youth, Greg will go that extra mile."

According to Francis, Inglis already has his post-NRL career worked out.

"He really does want to return to his home territory up around Bowraville and Kempsey and work within his own tribe, or his own mob," Francis said. "He's been lucky enough to pursue his dream and to achieve. Now he has realised he can use his profile to assist others, not just in sport, but with some goal in their lives.

"He's grown more comfortable in that role. Not only more comfortable, but he's embraced it. He's somebody that I think can and will make a difference if he's given the opportunity to do so.

"He's just somebody who grappled at first with the attention but has now recognised and embraced the opportunity. He's grown from a 17-year-old prodigy into a young man who's more comfortable in his skin."

The kids around Bowraville will have to be patient, however. Inglis still has mountains to climb in sport.

"Again, he's only a kid," Kearns said. "Look what he's done in the game. He's classified as one of the greats already. I reckon we haven't even seen the best of him yet.

"He's going to get bigger, he's going to get faster and he's going to get stronger. I reckon he's going to be dominating for years to come."
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That's all good but let's just do it on Sunday first please Greg
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

that somersault-half-pike-upside-down-with-a-degree-of-difficulty-of-a-million against the Ponies last week was absolutely lima lima lima duck nuts (excuse the french)  :toothy7:

[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

MENACING*STORM wrote: that somersault-half-pike-upside-down-with-a-degree-of-difficulty-of-a-million against the Ponies last week was absolutely *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK!*ing nuts (excuse the french)  :toothy7:

Gee, Inglis, what a diver!  :lol:
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

:laughing3:
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

GI came to the forefront tonight.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

inglis showed hayne whos the real superstar
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Corusant
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

nacho wrote: inglis showed hayne whos the real superstar
Jarryd who??
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Was he playing....did i blink and miss him....Jarrod who???
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, who was that bloke in the #1 Eels jersey? Did he even do anything? Other than get crapped on from a great height by GI  :lol:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH