Round 20 - Dragons vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:01 pm
Lucas wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:35 pm
Scooter wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:25 pm

Surely the Storm player numbers on the jerseys are wrong then? Unless Pene is starting too.
Not hugely important, is it?
Probably not in the grand scheme of things. But I am a numbers man so I like the numbers to be correct.
Same
I guess we will find out soon
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Heard Vete might be out
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep, Booth to lock, King to bench and Vete out
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Vete is out. Booth to lock? Assume Brandon will play there too.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Does Vete get another year? Too many injuries for mine.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:14 pm Does Vete get another year? Too many injuries for mine.
I would be happy to re-sign him he is settled at the Storm, would be relatively inexpensive and we are losing Tino. But wouldn't be first priority.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good start. Great play by Papenhuyzen to set up Momirovski. Well done by Lewis to contest kick, great pass by Leutele to Earl and Earl had plenty of work to do to score.

Brilliant passing by a number of players in lead up to Lewis try including Booth and Papenhuyzen.

Great kick by Johns to set up Lumelume's first NRL try.

Our forwards might need to tone it down a bit. Max King on report for "hip drop", Kamikamica could be charged with shoulder charge, Welch also late tackle on kicker.

Looked like Tui limped off.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks to Max King we’re gonna hear a lot about wrestling this week. Dodgy tackle.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fittler just confirmed Tui Kamikamica won't be back after injuring his ankle.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon has such a lack of how to control agame at hooker. He just runs. I love him but it’s annoying
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Great showing. Everyone had a good go and turned up. Great to see
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Couldn't be overly disappointed. Boys had a crack and was still in game until Frizell scored with three minutes to go.

Aaron Pene had a good game on debut. Although, he was limping after gathering late short kick off. Hope it is not serious.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Notes from press conference:
- Craig was proud of efforts. A couple of things they would have liked to have done better but will learn from.
- Finished game with 12 players (didn't replace Lewis when he went off for HIA) because only player on bench was Brandon Smith and he had cooled down and wasn't worth bringing him back on because of chance of injury.
- Tui unlikely to play next week because of ankle. Sounds reasonably serious.
- Craig noted that they planned for Tui to play 60 - 65 minutes. So the injury impacted interchange plans.
- Papenhuyzen off to rest / manage his achilles.
- Rested players because of possible 5 day break (now 6 day break), couldn't move from 2nd, same day travel to and from Sunshine Coast and to give reward to guys like Pene and Booth who had been training with passion all year but hadn't been playing.
- Was asked about Max King's tackle. Said didn't have good look in box, but looked like there were bodies going everywhere in tackle.
- Was also asked about Brandy's "intent to injure" comment re King tackle. Craig that was ridiculous and that no player in the competition goes out to intentionally injure another player.
- Was asked about reports that he has already signed with Broncos for 2022 and said he put out a statement during the week, he hasn't signed anything for 2022 and wouldn't talk about it until after the finals (Frank tried to pull plug on press conference then and Craig stood up but then there were a couple of other footy questions asked)
- Said Eels, like all finals opponents would be tough, and that Eels has good win last time they played and Eels were form side early in season.
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

Of course with our luck this year we had to get an injury to 1 of the only 4-5 players who would be playing next week. Tui probably will be suspended anyway.
With Tui, King and Dale out for next week if all others return, it seems we have 1 spot to fill on the bench.
Do we go with Nicho, Lewis or Schonig?
Or does anyone think another option is a chance?
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

A few random thoughts .

1. A solid performance by what was apparently the least experienced team in the NRL since the Baby Broncos of 2001 or 2002.

2. Wonderful for the Club to give debuts to Booth and Pene , and further game time to the other blokes who have worked so hard at the club this year with no QRL games . Now they are NRL players .

3. The great irony of Paul Kent’s criticism of Bellamy for playing these lads is that the only reason he got his one and only NRL game in 1989 is that Parramatta gave him a similar chance ( which he buggered up and was never picked again ).

4. So disappointing for Tui, who clearly was going to play next week but now obviously will not.

5. Isaac did enough to say that if Suli does not come up for next week, Isaac can do the job.

6. Momo did not do enough to unseat Brenko . Also if Craig was seriously thinking of putting Paul in for next week, he might have let him do the goal kicking !

7. Ricky was ok, but playing on the left side he will not unseat Justin Olam.

8. Great work by both Chris Lewis and Tom Eisenhuth , who each played 80 ( well , Chris played 77 until going off for HIA and not being replaced, allowing Frizzell to score the winner ! ) . One of them will be on the bench next week - I expect Tom.

9. The anti-Storm commentary of Andrew Voss on Fox was sickening . Queried just about every Storm try, barracking for Dragons throughout. Added to that was Brandy’s defamatory comments about Max King.

10. Someone on this forum had pointed out to me last week that Nicho Hynes was not great defensively. I had not noticed that, but could see today he is not strong as a defensive full back. I had thought he would be in the 17 next week, but not sure now.