Round 17 - Souths v Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

OK, now I'm annoyed. Souths wingers drops the ball on the catch, they go 5 tackles and we give up a penalty for a kick at goal, crusher, fark me.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Klein's explanations make me seriously question him...

I'll take the win but lots to work on.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our hard work in the first half paid off.

We’ve really started to put together some really good performances lately despite the injuries.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

That was a colossal effort - that being said if the Storm lost I felt it would have been due to the number of forwards missing as the Rabbitohs’ pack was awesome.

But to win like that - considering the lack of possession in the second-half, the difficult conditions and the strength of opposition was extremely impressive.

I thought the halves were great tonight.
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

We got ourselves into a bit of a hole in the first half.
They were up for it trying to make top 4
We have 5-6 out still
We had to fly up there
And the main one, dont forget we had a 5 day break, they had 8 and we still fought it out and played well at the end.
Another really good win, should hopefully of locked in top 2 so we can keep managing squad.
Last edited by Storm2016 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

4 tries to 2 and all fox are talking about post game were how good Souths were. If only they didn’t have so many errors....
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Did Hynes even get on or did we win with 16?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:34 pm Did Hynes even get on or did we win with 16?
Nope Nicho didn't get on.

Great effort by team particularly after the lack of ball we had in first half.

I thought Chris Lewis was very good (surprised according to NRL app that he only got 19 minutes). Craig gave both him and Darryn Schonig a wrap in the press conference.

Pole, there was at least one at the end of the day by Craig in the press conference. Also if you can get your hands on Cameron Smith's interview with Fox he had two at the end of the days.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Scooter wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:52 pm

Pole, there was at least one at the end of the day by Craig in the press conference. Also if you can get your hands on Cameron Smith's interview with Fox he had two at the end of the days.
Hahham too good scooter. Yeah I heard 2 with Bellamy, but I think Fox cut his press conference short, I'll go back later today and watch it in full. Missed most of Cam's interview but will also go back and have a look.

Overall pleased with the win considering we didn't play that well. Souths forward were all over us first us, then one we got some ball and started making those metres done the middle we took control. Very physical game, my Souths mate said it felt like a finals game. I think that was a good test that we needed before semis.

Also good to get away with no major injuries!

Three games left now against teams now playing for nothing but honour and then finals!

I'm excited!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Post match presser was 10mins long. 20-odd seconds on the game itself. 9:40 on Cam Smith’s decision, asking the same question in various ways :lol:
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On the game itself, I thought we were well beaten in the forwards early on but did really well to swing momentum and get back into the game. Our effort in the 10mins before half time saved us...

The Bunnies try where Lumelume let the ball go instead of taking it dead was disappointing but what you get with someone new into first grade. Otherwise he was decent. The Walker try would be the one Craig was most disappointed with. Overall though, we did pretty well to contain a team that have been cutting teams to shreds.

Paps is unbelievable for someone who has only played 30-ish NRL games. He’s 80kg wringing wet and still has 20 runs per game. The deft passing he has shown over the past two weeks has really made our attack that much more dangerous. He was my MOTM.

Munster, Welch, Smithy and Jesse all chimed in nicely at times as well.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Agree with everyone else - fabulous win against quality opposition.

Paps superb. Really pleasing to see Chris Lewis look so much at home . Schonig and Lumelume also looking comfortable at the top level.

I fear Welch will have a holiday next weekend . He was very unlucky, as the South’s player backed into the tackle ( they are all doing that now) , but there did seem to be pressure on the neck. Christian has a very good record, but I think he gets a week. Hopefully NAS can come in, but if not then maybe Max King to return.

Some comments on Ashley Klown. I think there are quite a few good referees- he is not one of them. His bias ( conscious or otherwise ) against the Storm is consistent and very irritating. Last night he did it subtly. By my reckoning both teams got 6 penalties and 4 set restarts . However the vast majority of those for Melbourne were on the first tackle , so were of limited value , whereas for Souths they were almost always on the 3rd or 4th tackle, which is much more advantageous. Similarly , with the 2 back-to-back video referrals, he would argue that he simply sent them upstairs so not his fault , BUT he sent Isaac’s up as a no try , and the Souths one as a try. Clearly the bunker was undecided re both, so just backed him. That 12 point swing early on was huge, and we did brilliantly to recover and win well.

Finally, to the commentators. The anti- Storm bias is sickening . Dan Ginnane was so excited when he thought Cam Smith was involved in a crusher tackle. He was all set to get stuck into Felise when he and Reynolds bumped into each other . He was ready to condemn Tino for a non-existent spear tackle. Both he and Ennis went on and on about Storm apparently slowing up the play-the-ball, with not a word against Souths . Finally, when Justin Olam went down after copping a boot to the Crown Jewels, their first reaction was to accuse him of feigning injury , without ever suggesting that any Souths player would ever do that.

Commentators should not be cheerleaders .

Sorry for that rant. Anyway, a great win and it is very helpful that we now have a 9 day break.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think player of the year is a two horse race between Welch and Papenhuyzen with how good they've both been.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm2016 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:58 pm i reckon our best team is this

1 Ryan Papenhuyzen
2 Suli Vunivalu *
3 Brenko Lee
4 Justin Olam
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Cameron Munster
7 Jahrome Hughes
8 Jesse Bromwich
9 Cameron Smith
10 Christian Welch
11 Felise Kaufusi
12 Kenny Bromwich *
13 Dale Finucane *
14 Brandon Smith *
15 Tino Faasuamaleaui
16 Nelson Asofa-Solomona *
17 Tom Eisenhuth *

* Currently out injured.
Not sure if Tui will make it back in time, that last bench spot in my opinion comes down to him and Eisenhuth. I think Eisenhuth ahead due to his versatility and ability to play in the centres if an injury in game.

Got some good depth though with Leutele, Hynes, Schonig, Vete, King to cover.
Happy with Lumelume, Lewis and others too, but we would be in trouble if we need them for finals.
Sadly , the reality with injury is that we are unlikely to get our best 17 out there, but if we have that luxury I agree with you re 15 spots - I am unsure re 3 and 17. Is it Brenko ? I think his spot is up for grabs. Paul M looked good early in the year, Ricky L hopefully will play soon, and Nicho looked good there last week.

As to 17, I agree with you that Tom Eisenhuth seems the best option , as he can cover in the Centres. However , has Chris Lewis gone ahead of him ? Can he play in the Centres ? Does Nicho Hynes offer a better option, as he can cover anywhere in the backs ?

Let’s hope that for the finals the injury list has evaporated ( aside from poor Marion) and we can continue this debate !
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like Brenko at centre. He has good footwork and makes post contact metres. Something our outside backs have lacked in recent seasons. Very useful when we are coming out of our own end.