Round 11 - Broncos vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Friday 24th July
7:55pm
Suncorp Stadium

14th vs 3rd.

The Broncos have been absolutely diabolical since the resumption of play. Brodie Croft has given them exactly what I thought he would. Heaps of promise that will never be delivered on. Him pulling out of any contact with Leilua last week to allow him to score untouched, was so embarrassing and frankly sums up where the entire club is at, at the moment.

Will we see more of the same this week? Or will they have a dig? What attitude will our boys show up with after being ‘up’ for 4 weeks now?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If Kenny can’t have his best game in 12 months something will have gone terribly wrong.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If we can isolate NAS or Tino on Croft it could be ugly.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Do we play our best players and smash em or give games to guys who haven’t played much / debut players and take it easy
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I mentioned in another thread that Bellamy hasn’t got us firing on all cylinders the last few years as we went into Finals. I don’t know what the answer is, hope we get it right this year though because if we are playing our best footy, we can beat anyone and claim the title.

I’m not sure resting players throughout the year has much benefit (with no Origin mid-year). When we have copped injuries, it has been one-off situations that you cannot plan for or mitigate through reduced game time. A mis-timed bump or a hamstring strain (Suli). That can happen Rd 11 or Rd 20.

If we are going to rest players, I’d almost prefer we do it in the last 3 weeks of the regular season.

The flip side of the argument is we potentially don’t have the team humming along, combining crisply under game conditions, as we head into Finals. Bellamy was also burned by this kind of model one year (can’t remember which off the top of my head 2008?) and was reluctant to ever do it again.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:31 pm If we can isolate NAS or Tino on Croft it could be ugly.
Media suggestions that Croft will be dropped for Deardon.

Jake Turpin probably a week away . Lodge may be good to go - that will be interesting !
Last edited by RobbieRoss on Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I read Milford will go to fullback, Croft to 5/8 and Deardon to halfback.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:15 pm I read Milford will go to fullback, Croft to 5/8 and Deardon to halfback.
Brent Read in the Aus ( one of the better and more level-headed reporters) is speculating Boyd to FB, Staggs and Farnworth in the Centres, Dearden at HB and Croft out.

Anyway, all will be revealed in due course!

For us I guess Suli back in, Lee to the bench and Seve out.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss, yes Suli is back at training today.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Give Suli another week I reckon.

And when he's back, I'd be open to dropping Olam over Lee/Momirsovski.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... ould-play/

Broncos v Storm: Milford shifts in reshuffle; Vunivalu could play
NRL.com
Mon 20 Jul 2020

Just when the Broncos saw some light at the end of the tunnel with a drought-breaking defeat of the Bulldogs in round nine, they were sent straight back to the drawing board with last week's 48-0 drubbing from the Tigers.

On-field leadership was sorely lacking as the score steadily blew out against the Tigers and that might be Brisbane's most glaring issue.

There wasn't a single positive note in their performance and coach Anthony Seibold has a huge challenge on his hands to drag his team off the canvas once again.

The Storm are coming off a relatively easy win over the Titans and will like their chances on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

The Rundown

Team news
Broncos: Anthony Milford is set to play fullback after training there on Monday, with Tom Dearden expected to play halfback while Brodie Croft goes to five-eighth. Kotoni Staggs is likely to return from a hamstring injury in the centres alongside Darius Boyd. Herbie Farnworth trained in place of Jamayne Isaako on the wing. Former Tigers playmaker Tyson Gamble wore the No.14 on Monday in an indication he could be included on the bench. Issac Luke is suspended, with Corey Paix set to start at hooker. Jake Turpin has trained with the reserves and could return from a leg injury.

Storm: Winger Suliasi Vunivalu will push to return. Few changes are otherwise expected.

Key match-up
Anthony Milford v Cameron Munster. Milford has the talent to be a top-flight playmaker and is certainly paid like one, but aside from the occasional flash of brilliance he has never truly reached his potential and plenty of Broncos fans have run out of patience. Munster successfully returned from injury last week against the Titans and will be looking to wreak havoc in his clash with Milford.

Stat Attack
Friday's game could be a cricket score if recent history is any guide. Melbourne romped to a 40-4 victory in their only meeting with the Broncos last year, with seven players scoring tries. The entire front row of Jesse Bromwich, Cam Smith and Christian Welch crossed the stripe in that round 20 meeting, while backrower Kenny Bromwich also scored, ensuring the Storm forwards claimed bragging rights over the backs.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good chance I'm wrong but I see this game looking more competitive than what everyone is saying.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree, I think it will be a lot closer than the cricket score everyone seems to be predicting.

How many minutes into the game before Tevita Pangai Junior acts like a pig and does something illegal?
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 am

How many minutes into the game before Tevita Pangai Junior acts like a pig and does something illegal?
If Lodge is playing it'll be a race between the two of them