Round 9 - Raider vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Saturday 11th July
GIO Stadium, Canberra
7:35pm

Raiders are 6th (5/8) vs Storm in 3rd (6/8). We have lost the last 3 times we have played the Raiders. If we lose again, it's fair to say that they now have our number.

6 - 22 (30th May 2020)
10 - 12 (14th Sep 2019)
18 - 22 (17th Aug 2019)
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -revenge/

The Raiders got Melbourne's measure 22-6 when they squared off in round three but their form has been questionable over the past month.

After losses in three of four games since beating the Storm, Canberra held on for a narrow win over the Dragons last week but it wasn't overly convincing given they led 22-0.

Nothing less than an 80-minute effort will be required this week.

The Storm beat the Roosters in an all-time epic battle last week without star playmaker Cameron Munster and will be in a vengeful mood after being shut down by the Raiders in the previous clash.

The Rundown

Team news
Raiders: Sia Soliola (facial fracture) and Emre Guler (ankle) are out, meaning Josh Papalii is set to return to the starting side and Dunamis Lui will almost certainly come on to the interchange. Young forward Kai O'Donnell has been included on an extended bench in recent weeks and could now get his NRL shot. Jordan Rapana (calf) is also in doubt. Curtis Scott could be recalled to the starting side at centre if Rapana is ruled out with Michael Oldfield an option to push to the wing.
Storm: Few changes are expected. Tui Kamikamica (back) and Brenko Lee (hamstring) should be available for selection.

Key match-up
Jack Wighton v Jahrome Hughes. While the Hodgson-Smith clash should be a ripper, Wighton and Hughes loom as trump cards for their sides. Wighton has run hot and cold in recent weeks and will have to bring his A-game against Hughes, who played a key role in Melbourne's comeback win over the Roosters. He enjoyed the extra responsibility in Munster's absence and needs to be similarly focused on Saturday night.

Stat Attack
Melbourne were off their game when they lost 22-6 to Canberra in round three, racking up 14 errors and completing 27/40 sets (68 per cent). Cameron Smith made a game-high 59 tackles that night, showing that he's still going strong at 37. Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad leads the NRL in runs (180), while speedy Storm fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen (157) has also been effective at the back.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Was Suli dropped?
Kya
Squall
Squall

Hamstring injury
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm team named;

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Marion Seve
3. Justin Olam
4. Paul Momirovski
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Ryley Jacks
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Christian Welch
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
16. Tom Eisenhuth
17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona

18. Darryn Schonig
19. Cameron Munster
20. Brenko Lee
21. Nicholas Hynes
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Canberra team named;

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Michael Oldfield
5. Bailey Simonsson
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali’i
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Kai O’Donnell
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Jordan Rapana

18. Tom Starling
19. Matt Frawley
20. Darby Medlyn
21. Curtis Scott
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Suli having an injury is pretty convenient I must say.

Munster back in the squad a day after saying he'll be another 5-6 weeks lol.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If Marion Seve is allowed on the field...let alone on the wing after his deplorable previous efforts.......I will have lima lima lima duck conniptions
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Agree re Marion Steve. He has a great back story, but has not played well this year. Both Lee and Hynes in the reserves , so presumably ( hopefully) one of them gets the nod.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:20 pm Agree re Marion Steve. He has a great back story, but has not played well this year. Both Lee and Hynes in the reserves , so presumably ( hopefully) one of them gets the nod.
Oh yeah ...for sure his story is inspirational and courageous. He's just not a first grade player unfortunately.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

If as named I won't be looking for our wingers to take any relieving runs. They can stay back and (hopefully) field kicks.
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

Paul to wing and lee to the centre’s or Hynes to replace seve on the wing, either option I’ll be happy about just please not seve with the form his been in.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Paps said he didn’t know why Suli was out as he was fine at training ..

Maybe he was dropped

Also tickets for the game have just been stopped from being sold cause ACT just got 3 new cases of corona ...I wouldn’t be surprised if it was moved again at the last minute
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

sallymay wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:12 pm Paps said he didn’t know why Suli was out as he was fine at training ..

Maybe he was dropped

Also tickets for the game have just been stopped from being sold cause ACT just got 3 new cases of corona ...I wouldn’t be surprised if it was moved again at the last minute

I reckon Bellamy is hiding a rotation policy under the guise of hamstring issues to give players rest / game time this season
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mstorm1999 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:08 pm
sallymay wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:12 pm Paps said he didn’t know why Suli was out as he was fine at training ..

Maybe he was dropped

I reckon Bellamy is hiding a rotation policy under the guise of hamstring issues to give players rest / game time this season

100% agree