Round 8 - Storm vs Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Had plenty of opportunities in their 20 but just lack creativity. Roosters create and take advantage of opportunities.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yeah, let's just not move up in defense (or run backwards in defense!)... hopeless...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Roosters are like the only team who know exactly how to work over both our wingers weaknesses. As poor as our attack has been that’s been a huge difference tonight.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Insomniac wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:44 pm F-ing Suli... #-o
Ditto.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Make sense of that. I dare you.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A game of 2 Smiths.

Both Brandon and Cam were in the driver's seat at the right time. Brandon's energy was infectious and then class rose to the top.

Is it me or are Tino and NAS so damn good that they make Jesse look ordinary? Or is Jesse losing potency too?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think it's just good tactical usage of them both. Being injected at the right time to get us on a roll.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Man, that was tough to handle.

What. About. Our. Club.

Forced interstate, star playmaker out injured, facing the defending premiers who looked unbeatable but they never shied away.

God, I love this team.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I see it but I don't believe it.

How incredible was that to come from 10 down with 11 to go? Then in the last 3 minutes of regular time Flanagan penalty goal, Keary field goal and then Papenhuyzen field goal.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thank you Paps. Wow. :cheers:

And another great game from Hughes - he's been a different player since coming back from his broken hand! Eisenhuth was also impressive with his increased minutes, and Brandon was Brandon. :-D

Overall, what a noticeable lift in intensity from us for the most part, but most importantly, from the very start of the game - keep that up, and even with our struggling attack in the 20, we'll be hard to beat.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If we're going to use Eisenhuth like that then have him in the side. No point playing him for 5 minutes each week though. Finally getting to see why he's being picked.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wake up Friday morning and no it wasn't a dream. What an incredible match.

Just need the Cowboys to beat the Eels by 4 or more points to move to the top of the ladder.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What a game! There were some errors but the contest still felt very high quality the entire way through. And a lot of those errors were forced through strong defence.

Hughes was excellent. Didn't overplay his hand and adopted a run first mentality.
Brandon Smith was also very good. His nuggety little body was everywhere and some of his defence was just BRUTAL. He did tire and miss a few tackles but he played 75mins which is great, but I don't think 75mins was the plan.

As great as the game was, I still think we have major issues with our attack. We scored 3 tries directly off the back of Roosters errors but only one try when attacking the red zone... and it was Hughes stepping back in against tired defenders, not any kind of backline movement or set play. We spent >25 minutes in the opposition 20m.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And Smithy's goal kicking ultimately won it for us. Didn't miss one.

With limited opportunities I thought he looked pretty good in the halves against top class opposition. Then when Jacks came on and he went back to 9, it changed our point of attack and caused the Roosters some trouble around the ruck.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Missed Tackles
Storm - 39
Roosters - 22