Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That part I understand. It's the way he's been since he started hanging out with Latrell Mitchell that's bothered me more than anything.

The baby thing is absolutely fair enough, a baby is certainly more exciting than work.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

sallymay wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:04 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:06 am Me too, honestly don't want Addo-Carr here anymore, attitude has gone south fast
As much as I agree with you I think he has been distracted a bit the last few weeks with his partner being in hospital then giving birth
I had more of a problem with him being a goose on the central coast with Latrell.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Do we take it as fact as reported by Fox Sports News tonight that Harry Grant has a clause to remain at the Tigers in 2021 should Cam play on in 2021 ?
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It is fact ...even Harry has said it
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:12 pm It is fact ...even Harry has said it
Oh dear.... :'(
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Alex Johnston being reportedly squeezed out of Rabbitohs due to salary cap. Do we look at him as a replacement for Foxx and Suli? Or do you think his price tag would be too expensive?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 amAlex Johnston being reportedly squeezed out of Rabbitohs due to salary cap. Do we look at him as a replacement for Foxx and Suli? Or do you think his price tag would be too expensive?
I would really prefer us not to have another sub-90kg winger that is ineffective in getting our sets off to a good start. I can't see us getting value out of Johnston.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am
Scooter wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 amAlex Johnston being reportedly squeezed out of Rabbitohs due to salary cap. Do we look at him as a replacement for Foxx and Suli? Or do you think his price tag would be too expensive?
I would really prefer us not to have another sub-90kg winger that is ineffective in getting our sets off to a good start. I can't see us getting value out of Johnston.
I agree in principle, but with the way the game is moving at the moment, smaller faster guys may have more of a role to play. I thought Fox was too small to make an impact on hitups through the middle but he really punches above his weight in that regard. I think Johnston could be useful but I can't remember the last time we bought an already-developed winger who went on to have sustained success in our setup.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Quinn is the only one I can think of
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 am Quinn is the only one I can think of
Yup that's a good example. In general I don't think the club puts too much value on players (especially outside backs) who have achieved success outside of our system.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

There's an article behind the Herald Sun paywall talking about issues with the Fox's stalled contract taking a toll on him. I was under the impression that he was heading back to Sydney at the end of the year whatever happened.

Does this mean there's a possibility, however small, that he may stay and is this a good thing?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This article...it is very interesting...I doubt he would stay though

Melbourne Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr is stuck in contractual limbo — no closer to shoring up his plans beyond 2020.

The whirlwind move to the Queensland hub and raising month-old son Fox with partner Lakaree have forced Addo-Carr to channel all his energy into football and fatherhood.

The 24-year-old, who on Tuesday conceded the stalled contract talks had taken a toll on him, has checked out mentally from the negotiations.

Explosive winger Addo-Carr would be the NRL’s most sought-after finisher on the open market.

I’m still trying to organise stuff off the field,” Addo-Carr said. “All I’m focused on is trying to play some good footy, trying to score some tries for my teammates, and trying to win some football games.

“That (contract) stuff is all up in the air … my lawyer is trying to sort everything out.”

Addo-Carr fell out with his management, Pacific Sports, late last year after reportedly finding out a fellow State of Origin winger was on about $200,000 more than him. Until the feud gets settled, the Blacktown junior cannot negotiate with any Sydney-based teams.

Storm has agreed, in principle, to release Addo-Carr on compassionate grounds, as long as it gets a like-for-like ­replacement. Addo-Carr informed Storm late last year that he wanted to return to Sydney to raise his young family.

It was taking a toll on me for a bit there,” Addo-Carr said. “I had to shut all that stuff out so I could play some good footy for my teammates. I’m a lot better than what I was.”

Addo-Carr scored one try across the first five rounds, but since the birth of son Fox, which coincided with the move to the Sunshine Coast, the winger has added five more, including a double last week.

The re-emergence of left-side flyer Addo-Carr has made Storm an even more formidable team.

“The right side are doing really good with their attack,” he said. “I think it’s a good balance to have and we should peak in the next couple of weeks.”

But after a face-plant, which left him dazed, and a purported near-miss, the popular winger said his technique might need some adjustment.

I just got to dive a bit lower … too explosive, brah, too explosive,” Addo-Carr said, between fits of his trademark laughter. “The first one I thought the ball was closer to the dead-ball line than what it was so … pretty much no time to brace myself with my arms.

“But the second I dived too high. I didn’t really hit my head — everyone thinks I hit my head because I’ve got long hair; it looked like I hit my head but pretty much landed on my shoulder. Trying not to start a trend!”
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just move to Melbourne with the young family? Face it, he just wants to be in Sydney. The family excuse is just for compassionate and PR purposes to paint Storm in a bad light.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:09 amFace it, he just wants to be in Sydney.
No, he just wants more money. It just so happens that Sydney is the place where that can happen. He made the NSW squad and found out what other players were getting and decided he was suddenly underpaid. His legal battle with his management agency and the touted move to a Sydney club is 100% about wanting more money. That's fine, that's his perogative.

The family reason stuff is just a familiar, convenient line so he doesn't come across money hungry.

I don't particularly care too much as his form has dropped off considerably since 2018. In open space, he is still excellent to watch. Helping our forwards and coming off our tryline, he is inept.

If a player signs a contract and suddenly hits form or the club is getting some value from the signing, the players look for a way to get out and earn more money elsewhere. JAC, Matterson, etc.
If a player signs a fat contract and form disappears, they still collect their inflated contract. Eastwood, Taylor, etc.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Agree those comments re JAC. Incidentally If he wants to go to Wests then , in addition to getting Harry back we will keep Paul M thanks, and /or they can throw in Garner or Matt Eisenhuth - handy backrowers !

On the other side field, as someone else has raised I would really got for Alex Johnston to replace Suli. Leaving Souths, and certainly can find the try line.