Round 6 - Panthers vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

[Most of the loss is on Bellamy though. Relying on two players to make perfect plays to create points can only go so far.
[/quote]

I agree with this. Two players can't win you games. Why pick Seve? Why does one player get left on the bench every week until 5 minutes to go? I think it is a waste. B. Smith is better coming on after 20 minutes than starting. He brings a spark into the field when needed.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This is not a criticism on Jacks personally but his first stint with the club proved the fit of his game and Storms game plan didn't align, it's 2.0 and the styles still are not aligning and his output isn't there.

Surely we have a pure halfback somewhere in a team of ours to use rather than makeshift or failed past applicants?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Media and Sydney fans rejoicing in the fact that the ref made a bad call and Smith didn’t challenge it. It’s really quite amazing when you compare that to their reaction last week on the Klemmer/Finucane incident, smashing the ref for a poor call.

All depends on which team gets the wrong call.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

At what point do we start acknowledging we actually have a problem?
Our attack has spluttered ever since Cronk has left and for years we've been saying things like, "wasn't pretty but we'll take it" and similar. I'm not by any means advocating for a Cronk clone but we do need somebody of structure. When we had Cronk we had a player where every other player knew what was going to happen and when and everything was structured. Our 5/8 at the time could chime in whenever he wanted and play the ad-lib "off the cuff" style. Munster is brilliant at this, the problem now is Munster has to take on all the play making responsibilities and even though he's a gun it's expecting too much of him for something to happen every time he touches the ball.
We need to pick a half back, stick with him, train and train and train with the same person, give them the reins and confidence and get everybody on the same page and work together and at the same time, get it like the NFL where everybody knows exactly where to be and when. Let's not expect brilliance from a half back, let's just seek consistency.
BTW, who's our attack coach?
Cheers
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:41 pmWe need to pick a half back, stick with him, train and train and train with the same person, give them the reins and confidence and get everybody on the same page and work together and at the same time, get it like the NFL where everybody knows exactly where to be and when. Let's not expect brilliance from a half back, let's just seek consistency.
Haven’t we been doing that with Hughes? The fact he has been injured for two weeks cannot be helped. Hughes is coming along and despite a couple of mixed performances, he looks to have potential in the position. I don’t think more structure is what we need at the moment either. But consistency should be the goal, I agree with that.

We were never going to replace Cronk with a like for like replacement. It will take time. Much like Paps in for Slater will take time and we cannot expect Paps to immediately have the same outstanding positional play that Slater had.

Croft aside (which was a huge issue), our outside backs have been more of an issue in the recent past (last two years) IMO.
Bullucked wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:41 pm BTW, who's our attack coach?
Cheers
Marc Brentnall is our attack coach.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea Hughes is mostly fine given what he’s asked to do. Ideally someone like Blake Green would be awesome for this team. The attack is missing something more than a proper number 7 though.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well with Mooks getting sacked today, maybe we can get him back to the club. Don't know if he's the answer but points always came from the warriors.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I Donno how I feel lately about our games ...everything just seems so predictable from us even the spontaneous stuff