Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:39 am
Insomniac wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:33 amIf the deal is only for a 1 year swap then there's no way they'd be able to keep him regardless of how well he plays for them - he'd still be contracted to us for 2021.
Just like JAC? The NRL has proven since it's inception, that contracts aren't worth sh*t. To both players and clubs... If either party wants out of the deal, 99% of the time, it happens (Greg Eastwood a clear example where that didn't occur).

Regardless, there is inherent risk in keeping a player in Q Cup that is capable and wants to play first grade. I like the swap deal, despite the various risks.

We lose our third string hooker for someone pushing for a starting position at centre - a position we all acknowledge has been thin for us. If you look at the make-up of our squad for the 2020 season, surely this is a win for us.
Very well articulated. It could go the other way too, our new centre could star as well. If it wasn't the Tiggers would we be happy with a similar arrangement with the Chooks or Broncs?
Personally, I see it as a win win, well done to everyone involved. (Wonder what I'll think in twelve months!)
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:39 am
Insomniac wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:33 amIf the deal is only for a 1 year swap then there's no way they'd be able to keep him regardless of how well he plays for them - he'd still be contracted to us for 2021.
Just like JAC? The NRL has proven since it's inception, that contracts aren't worth sh*t. To both players and clubs... If either party wants out of the deal, 99% of the time, it happens...
Yeah I agree that contracts mean (almost) nothing these days - of course if both parties agree to extend the swap deal for one or both players then that would be a different story, but I was just pointing out that the Tigers couldn't just keep him after 2020 just because "he stars for them for an entire year" and they didn't want to let him go.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Matt Bowen’s nephew Jack bowyer has official been given a. Delevopment contract with storm so will stay down here for 2020
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What happened with Ben Nakubuwai?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:54 am What happened with Ben Nakubuwai?
Yeh not sure...I saw he was training with some trainer in Melbourne a few weeks ago wearing storm gear ...maybe he was just train and trail
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:11 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:54 am What happened with Ben Nakubuwai?
Yeh not sure...I saw he was training with some trainer in Melbourne a few weeks ago wearing storm gear ...maybe he was just train and trail
Noticed on another forum that an incident at training occurred, and Nakubuwai may no longer be at Easts...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

SMH (Adrian Proszenko)

With the swap deal falling through, Harry Grant is now seeking a release. There are quotes from Harry in the article so I don’t doubt it’s credibility.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not really surprised this is happening. But also what was he expecting after literally re-signing a couple of months ago? Did we promise something that we've now turned back on?
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

@sallymay, former Storm contracted player Junior Ratuva has been signed by the Warriors.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:34 pmNot really surprised this is happening. But also what was he expecting after literally re-signing a couple of months ago? Did we promise something that we've now turned back on?
I think it is more that the swap deal had him sure he was going to be playing NRL this year... and when the NRL pulled that rug out from under him, he wasn’t keen to give up that dream when it was almost there.

I want some more detail on why the deal was blocked. It was a swap deal so neither club gave a sh*t about which player was on more coin. It would all be due to contract terms and insurance.

It was in the best interests of both clubs and both players. The NRL pretends they give a shit about player welfare but then scuttle this good idea due to bureaucracy.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:34 pm Not really surprised this is happening. But also what was he expecting after literally re-signing a couple of months ago? Did we promise something that we've now turned back on?
Storm can't/shouldn't entertain permanently losing Grant.

That would be an even bigger lima lima lima duck up than losing Scott Drinkwater.

They somehow need to entice him with a year away at the Tigers but contractually lock him up for a longer period back at Storm after 2020 (not sure how that could be done or if its legal, but its critical imo)
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:44 amI think it is more that the swap deal had him sure he was going to be playing NRL this year... and when the NRL pulled that rug out from under him, he wasn’t keen to give up that dream when it was almost there.

I want some more detail on why the deal was blocked. It was a swap deal so neither club gave a sh*t about which player was on more coin. It would all be due to contract terms and insurance.

It was in the best interests of both clubs and both players. The NRL pretends they give a shit about player welfare but then scuttle this good idea due to bureaucracy.
True on the deal falling apart.

It seemed like such a simple thing so of course the NRL did the most NRL thing to do and had to complicate things.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:33 pm SMH (Adrian Proszenko)

With the swap deal falling through, Harry Grant is now seeking a release. There are quotes from Harry in the article so I don’t doubt it’s credibility.
He can seek a release all he wants but as long as he's useful the club should keep him on the books. He will probably get some time playing first grade with the injury to B Smith.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

ALX22 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:17 pm @sallymay, former Storm contracted player Junior Ratuva has been signed by the Warriors.
Interesting...he went to rugby now is back in league
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Speculation today that Cameron Smith will play on in 2021.

I will no doubt be in the minority, but I really hope it happens (assuming his 2020 is even close to his usual lofty standard). Brandon has to move to 9 or we will lose him, but I think there is a way to utilise Smith in a reduced capacity/another role and still provide significant value to the team.