Round 21 - Rabbitohs vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree with the above, Munster was phenomenal. A try, 3 line breaks, 9 tackle breaks and a try assist. His footwork was deadly.

The old dog Smithy was excellent as well. Putting the boys through gaps and half gaps all night. Then he took off and made that half break/offload to Chambers.

I reckon we left half a dozen tries out there at least.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Super win.

Wonderful debut by Nicho Hynes.

Great performance to overcome the spate of injuries, the penalty count, the early loss of Olam , and come away with a strong victory.

I think NAS may be missing next week. He has got carryover points from last week, so a grade 1 will see him miss.

Four games clear of 3rd with four to go.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeh I’m worried about a few of our players getting charged out of this game
Jesse
Nelson
Kaufusi
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I loved Olam’s spin move to avoid Gagai in the lead up to his try. Such a shame he missed 3/4 of the game after failing his HIA. He has been on fire.

I hope he retains his spot. I don’t think Scott just strolls back in, but I guess we’ll see.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:15 pmI think NAS may be missing next week. He has got carryover points from last week, so a grade 1 will see him miss.
NAS not charged surprisingly!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

A really good performance - almost great.
Smith - Genius. Munster - sublime.
Hynes was great for a deb, and Olam is making it really hard for Scott to get back into first grade. Stimmo did quite well playing out of position. Suli was a bit rocks and diamonds again - did some great stuff but should have been aware of the sideline after Nicho's pearler of a pass - to be fair though, the penalty for "jumping too early" was complete rubbish).

The one thing we still need to sort is our right side defence. Bunnies only seriously looked like scoring 3 times and got all of them DOWN THEIR LEFT. Every other attacking set I was confident the boys could keep them out.
And despite what certain people are saying, it's not just Vunivalu. It's wing, centre, halfback and second row; they are all responsible for poor positioning on different occasions, and often Suli has no choice but to come in. Then chuck in the soft missed tackles and you can see why 2/3rds of the tries scored against us are by the left side attackers.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pmAnd despite what certain people are saying, it's not just Vunivalu. It's wing, centre, halfback and second row; they are all responsible for poor positioning on different occasions, and often Suli has no choice but to come in.
This is an important point. A number of Storm fans on social media with seemingly not much RL awareness, are quick to blame Suli. Somehow he is responsible for a three man overlap :roll:

As you pointed out, it often starts with the halfback or second row forward making poor decisions to jam in and then everyone else (usually) must follow. Earlier in the season Scott was a major contributing factor when he didn’t have confidence in Croft’s ability to make his tackles and would come in unnecessarily. Croft is a serial offender.

Suli is not blame free. He has made some poor reads himself, but it is not a single person causing all of the issues on the right.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nice little highlights package of the lead up to and aftermath of, Nicho Hynes' debut.

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... nrl-debut/
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Awesome video - congrats to those responsible for putting this together! =D>
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Paul Crawley and Paul Kent were jerking each other off last night on NRL360, bringing up our "wrestling" tactics. Apparently we have invented a new variation on the crusher based on NAS's head contact on Britt. According to Kent, we are rolling these out ahead of finals and varying things slightly to pull the wool over the match officials eyes and gain some kind of advantage - I'm not sure what perceived advantage we get, but that was the assertion.

NAS looked to have a reasonably tight grip around Britt but he wasn't twisting his head or putting pressure on a particular angle... If anything it looked like a tight hug. Britt wasn't fazed at all and got up top play the ball like any other tackle.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer our players stay away from the head completely because these Sydney wankers will latch on to anything to seek a suspension for a Storm player, I just think it is another example where they are reaching for something because they have an axe to grind.

On Controversy Corner (the worst RL show on television by the way), Blocker called NAS's tackle - and I quote - "the worst crusher tackle he has ever seen". How this bloke gets paid to offer opinion is beyond me.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wasn't really a crusher tackle to me. The force of the tackle made it look worse than what it was. NAS (and our players) need to get rid locking up the head thing we're doing. That's where most of the gripes against us come from and I agree with it too.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am Paul Crawley and Paul Kent were jerking each other off last night on NRL360, bringing up our "wrestling" tactics.
And like clockwork it begins.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

According to Fox sports news we have amended the crusher tackle so we are now coming in sideways on a player neck and not front one any more. This "pulled the wool" over the NRL match review committee eyes that is why NAS was not cited for it. I admit the match review committee can be a bit dumb at times but are they really that dumb that they don't what a crusher tackle is. Also, NAS and Jessie are leading with their elbows which is a new style of play Storm have introduced to change games into our favor. Really we must be a great club if we can invent all these things to change games to our favor. If we can do this why don't Storm win every game by thirty points. The story goes on to say NAS is so big that leading with his elbow while running at a much smaller player could cause injury like a broken jaw, also states at NAS size if he doe a crusher tackle he could really injure someone. Wow, I thought all crusher tackles could cause injuries, must be just big Storm players that are able to do that. Also, I thought a small man running into the legs of another player can cause injury too. If fact being a hard contact sport I thought lots of thing could cause injuries. Maybe Melbourne Storm invented injuries to other players and that is our fault too.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

JWH has been running with raised forearms/elbows his entire career... Nobody has given a sh*t.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 pm According to Fox sports news we have amended the crusher tackle so we are now coming in sideways on a player neck and not front one any more. This "pulled the wool" over the NRL match review committee eyes that is why NAS was not cited for it. I admit the match review committee can be a bit dumb at times but are they really that dumb that they don't what a crusher tackle is. Also, NAS and Jessie are leading with their elbows which is a new style of play Storm have introduced to change games into our favor. Really we must be a great club if we can invent all these things to change games to our favor. If we can do this why don't Storm win every game by thirty points. The story goes on to say NAS is so big that leading with his elbow while running at a much smaller player could cause injury like a broken jaw, also states at NAS size if he doe a crusher tackle he could really injure someone. Wow, I thought all crusher tackles could cause injuries, must be just big Storm players that are able to do that. Also, I thought a small man running into the legs of another player can cause injury too. If fact being a hard contact sport I thought lots of thing could cause injuries. Maybe Melbourne Storm invented injuries to other players and that is our fault too.
Gather round children and I'll tell you about the halcyon days of a pre-Melbourne rugby league world where nobody needed a hospital. In fact, hospitals were invented by Sydney clubs in response to Storm tactics. Or so the tale goes.

I may have just exceeded the maximum sarcasm dosage for this forum but then again, sarcasm was probably invented by us as a tactic too...