Brandon Smith set to leave the Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Premiers
Squall
Squall

Huge news on a variety of news feeds today that Brandon Smith is set to leave the Storm, as he is pissed off with Cam Smith signing for another 2 years.

Disappointed it has come to this.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Lol new year same troll. Welcome back.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I have a social media post from Brandon's account that says he is not going anywhere "as loyalty is in his blood"
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Premiers wrote:Huge news on a variety of news feeds today...
If "variety" means that The Mole wrote it on Wide Wank of Sports and you wrote it here, then yes it's been on a variety of news feeds today.

However, since since you have made 5 posts in 2 years -three of them in the last three days and all of them negative at best and click bait at worst - and since "variety" normally indicates an extensive range (not just you and some gutter journalist); I think it's far more reasonable to assume that you are a troll.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Made up rumour fools the biggest bull shitter in the game. These types of threads should get deleted.
Premiers
Squall
Squall

TC wrote:
If "variety" means that The Mole wrote it on Wide Wank of Sports and you wrote it here, then yes it's been on a variety of news feeds today.

However, since since you have made 5 posts in 2 years -three of them in the last three days and all of them negative at best and click bait at worst - and since "variety" normally indicates an extensive range (not just you and some gutter journalist); I think it's far more reasonable to assume that you are a troll.
No wonder there is so much mental illness and suicide in society. Thanks for your support.

Go ahead and suspend my membership. Goodbye
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Bye Cameron!
Monsoon
Monsoon

Premiers wrote:
TC wrote:

No wonder there is so much mental illness and suicide in society. Thanks for your support.

Go ahead and suspend my membership. Goodbye

Bye!!!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Geez as soon as I heard Cam Smith wanted 2 years instead of 1 you just new some idiot would make this sh!t up. First place I seen reporting this was a fake James Hooper twitter account that everybody seemed to think was the real James Hooper. Then the Mole got a hold of it. Makes me laugh sometimes
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbo ... e55f419b0d

Skipper Smith hoses down rumours of rift with Storm’s young hooker
Melissa Woods AAP
31 Jan 2019

If there is one person who could’ve taken Cameron Smith’s re-signing badly it’s deputy hooker Brandon Smith, but the Storm insist the young Kiwi international has no intention of leaving the club.

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy has denied New Zealand Test hooker Brandon Smith wants out of the Storm following Cameron Smith’s decision to extend his playing career.

There were reports the 22-year-old was upset by the skipper’s shock call to play on until the end of the 2020 season, with the youngster forced to bide his time with a bench role until then.

Brandon Smith, who was part of the Storm’s grand final team, could walk into a starting role in almost any other side.

He starred in the Kiwis’ 26-24 victory over the Kangaroos last October in his first Test match.

Bellamy said he had reassured the youngster of his value to the club and there was no chance he would be leaving, with his deal tying him to Melbourne until the end of 2022.

“We had a good conversation about a couple of things and I don’t think there was anything to sort out — he needed a bit of a clear mind on what was happening.

“Now he has, he’s very happy and he ain’t going nowhere,” Bellamy said on Thursday.

Captain Smith said his namesake was upset by the reports he wanted out of the club and had sought him out.

“That’s come from somewhere other than Brandon because he was quite upset when he was told about that and he came and grabbed me to reassure me he was very happy playing here and with me playing on,” he said.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hate the way some jounalists have framed this. There was never a suspected 'rift' between the Smiths. There was rumour and innuendo circulated by proven sh*t sources.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

All from a bloody parody twitter account. Should never have had to address this bs in the first place.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Nice response to it all by Brandon.

Why brandon smith is happy to play second fiddle
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A similar article yesterday...

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... ting-role/

Mr and Mr Smith: Brandon stars in best supporting role
Jonathan Healy
NRL.com reporter
Wed 11 Mar 2020

When you are stuck behind the best hooker in the game and arguably the greatest player ever seen then you get used to doing your fair share of waiting.

And that's the scenario facing Kiwi hooker Brandon Smith on the eve of yet another season at the Storm as the NRL's games record holder Cameron Smith continues to do what he does best.

Brandon Smith would be starting rake at plenty of clubs, but at the Storm the 23-year-old must bide his time and wait for his experienced skipper to call time on one of the greatest career in the game's history.

While admitting the prospect of another season off the bench might in fact be stunning his short-term growth, Brandon is more than happy to play the long game and think of the fruits that will be delivered during the back end of his career.

"I guess it is damaging my value a bit, but if I stay in the Storm system long enough then I will be increasing my value at the same time," he said.

"If we go on and win premierships and do all these great things, it is a good thing for me.

"That is just how the game is and I knew the responsibilities when I signed my contract.

"Making all the rep sides is awesome, but the ultimate goal is winning a rugby league premiership... hopefully it all clicks into place this year.”

To understand the importance of Brandon Smith to the Storm, one only needs to look at the energy he brings off the bench and his ability to lift his teammates with a powerhouse charge or driving tackle.

Such was Smith's impact in 2019 he was named the NRL's best interchange player and coach Craig Bellamy must be tempted at some stage to find a way to get him into his starting side.

Bellamy set a precedent when he changed his spine on the eve of the finals last year by dropping Brodie Croft to the bench to ensure Ryan Papenhuyzen got as much playing time as possible and he could potentially move Cameron Smith into the halfback role and Brandon to No.9 to maximise the Kiwi's impact.

Brandon Smith said any move that saw him thrust into the starting line-up wouldn't sit well with him as it would mean one of his teammates would have to go to the bench.

"I don’t want our halfback (Jahrome Hughes) to lose his spot," he said.

"It's about what we want to do to be the best team in the comp.

"If Cameron is at nine, or I am at nine it doesn’t really matter."

For the first few weeks there will be no debate as Brandon remains sidelined with the face injury he suffered playing for the Maori All Stars last month.

That injury is likely to keep him out until round three, giving him the chance to continue to carefully study his captain and try and pick up all the traits that make him one of the best players ever to lace a boot.

"When I watch Cameron, I am like 'gee he is good'," he said.

"We are different players as we play a completely different game and I can’t just pick apart his game and say 'yeah, I am going to play like him' because that is not the way I play at hooker.

"There is a reason he has been around for so long and he has been able to prolong his career for so long.

"That is more what I want to learn off him as I want to be around this game for a long time and create a legacy for myself."
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

God I love him