Cam here or not?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m more upset we will lose hArry Grant ...Harry is also off contract next year ...I can see Brandon stick around at 14 but if Harry can’t get a game for two year he will look elsewhere ...I’m not even joking when I say I think Harry is better then Brandon ...I will be disappointed in Cam if we lose Harry case cams being selfish
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:cams being selfish
Explain how?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:
sallymay wrote:cams being selfish
Explain how?

As I said above I’ll be upset if we lose Harry to keep Cameron ...it’s proberly not really called selfish
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

While it's hardly ideal he;'s not signed yet, surely it's an absolute no brainer he'll stay. There's no way in hell he'll play for someone else so his only other option is to retire which he clearly doesn't want to do and won't.

I don'[t think he's selfish at all for holding out, he's just trying to secure the best deal he can for himself and his family given it's his last (playing) contract. That said I can see the clubs point of view as well, as we all know it a massive job balancing the salary cap and even more so with the talent we've re-signed and the ones we still need/want to so as much as Cam most definitely deserves a new deal, we can't pay overs to do it.

As for the bullshit notion from the northern press 'it's either Cam or Munster' what a lima lima lima duck joke :lol: There's not a snowflakes chance in hell that Cam would stay on for a year or two at the expense of losing Munster for the next 10 years. Smith will still have a massive role within the club after retirement and maybe even coach it and he will sure as shit want Munster there when that happens
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

sallymay wrote:I’m more upset we will lose hArry Grant ...Harry is also off contract next year ...I can see Brandon stick around at 14 but if Harry can’t get a game for two year he will look elsewhere ...I’m not even joking when I say I think Harry is better then Brandon ...I will be disappointed in Cam if we lose Harry case cams being selfish
Can’t agree there and I’ve watched both at Intust and NRL level.

They are different players to be fair. I could see Brandon making a good go of 13 if required. His hits are fearsome
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With Valentine Holmes and Shaun Johnson moving on (plus Gareth Widdop asking for a release), the circumstances are fitting for clubs to start a feeding frenzy for off-contract stars.

Hurry up and sign Camerons!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

One Cameron to go...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/frank ... 4d4feac98b

Frank Ponissi backs Melbourne Storm to sign Cameron Smith

Melbourne Football Manager Frank Ponissi is confident Cameron Smith will re-sign with the Storm when he returns from a family holiday, but wouldn’t confirm the length of the deal.

Melbourne say there’s no question that Cameron Smith will be playing for the Storm through next year’s NRL season.

Smith is on an extended family holiday, spending Christmas overseas, which leaves just a few days before his scheduled return to training at the club on January 3.

But Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said the parties would get the deal done.
“We know a contract will be done,” Ponissi told AAP.

“It’s still ongoing but everything’s really positive and it’s not a matter of whether or not he will play next year; he will be playing.

“This is the biggest break Cameron’s ever had. When he comes back he will have had three months off which will revitalise him.”

Smith’s manager Isaac Moses also has Souths coach Anthony Seibold in his stable as well as Kangaroos prop David Klemmer, who left the Bulldogs for Newcastle, and ex-Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson.

That along with Ponissi, coach Craig Bellamy and Storm chief executive Dave Donaghy also travelling overseas, and now Smith,it has made negotiations protracted.

Melbourne are also considering the monetary value of 35-year-old Smith, who wants a two-year deal instead of the original one-season plan. They must weigh that up against the future salaries of their young stars on the rise.

Ponissi said the two-year demand wasn’t a “sticking point” but a factor in the negotiations.

“We see it as a positive as it highlights his positive mindset that he wants to play on for two years,” he said.

Smith’s teammate Cameron Munster said he had no doubt that his captain had two more NRL seasons in him.

“Smithy could probably play until he’s 50,” Munster said on Thursday.

“I think the only injury he’s ever had was a high ankle sprain, so for the amount of tackles he makes every game in the middle he’s done really well. He’s too smart.

“He avoids tackles but makes 50 a game, so it’s a remarkable what he can do and the way he’s going he could probably play for another three or four years.”
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

SMITH WILL PLAY ON

WE have been saying on these pages for weeks that former Australia skipper Cameron Smith will definitely be playing for Melbourne Storm next year. Despite reports elsewhere, rest assured the deal is done.

Storm are just waiting for Smith to return home from a family holiday in the United States to sign the two-year deal. Storm will call a press conference in their first week back at training in January to make the official announcement.

This is in Sundays Daily Telegraph
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:SMITH WILL PLAY ON

WE have been saying on these pages for weeks that former Australia skipper Cameron Smith will definitely be playing for Melbourne Storm next year. Despite reports elsewhere, rest assured the deal is done.

Storm are just waiting for Smith to return home from a family holiday in the United States to sign the two-year deal. Storm will call a press conference in their first week back at training in January to make the official announcement.

This is in Sundays Daily Telegraph
Thank goodness...

That's all I need for Xmas :reindeer: :reindeer: :reindeer: :reindeer:
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Daily Telegraph just posted a story saying the impasse between Storm/Smith has come to an end. Smith as return to training and will play this season.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:Daily Telegraph just posted a story saying the impasse between Storm/Smith has come to an end. Smith as return to training and will play this season.
The only impasse was with the synaptic transmissions in Rothfield's tiny brain...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 62b81ff169

Stalemate over! Cameron Smith returns for Storm to chase 400-game milestone
January 9, 2019 - Fox Sports
Pamela Whaley

Cameron Smith has officially returned to training with the Melbourne Storm, marking the end to a stalemate with the club over his playing future.
Although his re-signing is yet to be announced by the club, the 35-year-old skipper has been training with the team since last week when he returned from an extended break with his family.

Storm officials have consistently maintained an agreement would be reached with their captain.

Smith, who will turn 36 in June, is now in line to become rugby league’s first 400-game player — a feat that is unlikely to be repeated.

Heading into his 18th season, Smith is the highest-capped rugby league player of all time with 384 NRL games across 17 years of first grade with Melbourne.

The burgeoning record is owed to his incredible durability, having avoided serious injury for much of his legendary career.

If he is able to remain fit in 2019, he will celebrate the milestone against the Sharks at AAMI Park in round 17.

After retiring from all representative duties in 2018, he played all 27 games for Melbourne including his third-consecutive grand final.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

All hail the GOAT
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Herald Sun just posted story that Smith has signed a two year deal