Cam here or not?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wonder how mucj Brandon Smith's selection as NZ hooker has swung the balance of power?
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Papers looking for any story to talk about in the off-season. No one really knows what any one player gets paid and what third party options, incentive bonuses, etc are in play. Until the League starts disclosing player salaries (around the time when Jarryd Hayne wins his next Dally M), all of this talk among the media is just conjecture.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sentiment needs to be taken out of this decision.
If it's a choice between Smith and Munster, it's an easy one.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tugga wrote:Sentiment needs to be taken out of this decision.
If it's a choice between Smith and Munster, it's an easy one.
Yep...would choose Cam every time over Cam :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously....Cam Munster has another 8 years of magic with Storm. The Club would be crazy to lose him.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We're not going to lose Munster because of Smith c'mon get real people.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

100%. It's not a one or the other situation. Other bit players maybe moved on but they aren't going to lose Munster over the Smith contract.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Strange that he would push for a 2 year contract. I would have thought a player in his position would want to take it year-by-year a la Billy 2017/18. Even if he feels like he has 2 years left, he should be confident that the club would give him another year after this one anyway.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I do think the Slater example is different. He was only 10 or so months into his comeback year after missing two years on the sideline. There were serious questions as to whether his body could hold up.

Smith is the most durable player we have ever seen and has never really had injury issues in his entire career.

I never thought I'd see the day where Storm fans would umm and ahh over wanting Smith for an extra year :shock2: And I say that with an unhealthy man love for his heir apparent.

We sit in hope of these young guns turning into the calibre of player of Cameron Smith... why not take the extra year of the real-deal if it's on offer!? I cannot see a downside to it. I would expect Brandon's game time at hooker to increase and Smith jumping to HB/Second Receiver/Lock at certain times in games. His experience out on the field will be invaluable.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbo ... 18b95b270c

Melbourne bank on Craig Bellamy return to seal Cameron Smith deal
Daily Telegraph
22 November 2018

Melbourne Storm boss Dave Donaghy is counting on the return of coach Craig Bellamy to resolve a contract stalemate with Cameron Smith following reports the skipper is demanding a two-year deal.

Bellamy and long-time football manager Frank Ponissi are due back at work next week after a post-season fact-finding mission in the UK and Europe.

Initially seeking a one-year deal which would see him surge pass the 400-game mark, it’s reported Smith is now seeking a two-year contract.

Donaghy said the 35-year-old wasn’t holding the Storm to ransom with the extension but added the NRL club wouldn’t be walked over.

“It’s not a case as if Cam’s walked in and said ‘I want two years or I’m walking out’,” Donaghy told SEN Breakfast radio.

“It’s also not a case that we’ve said, ‘Here’s two years and would you like a foot rub as well’.

“For us it’s about ensuring the decisions we make into the future are in the best interests of the football club and collectively we all understand that.”

Donaghy said the club would consider the longer deal if it “worked for everyone”.

He said the club needed to balance the value of their ageing great and the financial worth of young stars.

“There’s many factors that go into decision making around signing a player, whether it’s a one-year, two-year, three-year deal, you’ve got to weigh up our list balance and salary cap,” Donaghy said.

“The reality is you pay players on what they’re delivering into the future, not what they’ve delivered.

“If everything is stacked up and it was a deal which worked for everyone and physically, mentally, Cameron was in a position that he was absolutely confident to continue at the age of 37, we would certainly give it strong consideration.”

Smith isn’t due back at training until early January, while as well Bellamy and Ponissi, Donaghy has also been overseas.

Signing a three-year deal in July to remain head coach for a remarkable 19 years, Bellamy will no doubt have the final say on his roster.

“It’s been challenging just by matter of circumstance and logistics,” Donaghy said.

“Craig and Frank are in the air flying back in from Europe so it’s been challenging finding a time for everyone to sit down and talk the future through but that will happen sooner rather than later.”

Donaghy admitted the Storm were still to complete a deal with star five-eighth Cameron Munster but insisted the outcome of the Smith contract wasn’t related.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I just think it's strange that during the 2018 season there was talk that he might retire if we win the GF and now all of a sudden he's sure he wants to play for another 2 years. I don't begrudge Smithy anything and as far as I'm concerned he can do whatever he likes, but I would have thought his preference would be to take it a year at a time knowing he has the full support of the club if he wants another year in 2020.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:I do think the Slater example is different. He was only 10 or so months into his comeback year after missing two years on the sideline. There were serious questions as to whether his body could hold up.

Smith is the most durable player we have ever seen and has never really had injury issues in his entire career.

I never thought I'd see the day where Storm fans would umm and ahh over wanting Smith for an extra year :shock2: And I say that with an unhealthy man love for his heir apparent.

We sit in hope of these young guns turning into the calibre of player of Cameron Smith... why not take the extra year of the real-deal if it's on offer!? I cannot see a downside to it. I would expect Brandon's game time at hooker to increase and Smith jumping to HB/Second Receiver/Lock at certain times in games. His experience out on the field will be invaluable.
Yourhero,
Maybe he could also play "that" role that Cooper Cronk played during the 2018 GF? He could go for another 5 years :-D
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:I do think the Slater example is different. He was only 10 or so months into his comeback year after missing two years on the sideline. There were serious questions as to whether his body could hold up.

Understand. But there's no reason why a 35 year old can't sign a one year deal and then if he wants to go on, negotiate for another one year deal.
Losing other players doesn't sit comfortably with me, and it shouldn't sit comfortably with Cameron.
Anyway, we ust let it play out. I certainy don't know the full story.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I can only say that if other players are forced to leave to accommodate the goat's contract (and I mean that sincerely, he is the GOAT) then that should not sit comfortably with him or anyone.
Utha
Squall
Squall

- The CAM contract saga
- The Seibold/Bennett saga
- Valentine Holmes leaving the Sharks to chase his NFL "dream"

Just another typically crazy NRL offseason.