Cam here or not?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Phillip Island Storm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I can't believe the silence surrounding Cam Smith. Did he turn up to start of pre-season given he did not have any rep football to keep him away longer? What is the meat of the issue with his 3rd party requirements? Not a good look from the GOAT; just how much money does he need given he is already one of the wealthiest footballers in the game with his current 3rd party agreements and testimonial game.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

He was not a pre session training. As far as I know the most experienced players are not due back yet. Chambers and JAC is not back. I also saw a post from Melbourne Storm saying Welch Scott Stimson and Munster were back early to pre season. So maybe he is still on holidays or going through the contract with a forensic accountant
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Storm in sell-off mode to keep skipper Smith
By Adrian Proszenko
17 November 2018 — 7:30pm

Melbourne are attempting to offload players in order to free up the funds required to meet Cameron Smith’s seven-figure asking price.

The development comes as Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr expressed an interest in taking over from retiring superstar Billy Slater at fullback.

Smith, still arguably the best player in the world at the age of 35, was not part of the 27-man squad the club named earlier this month. The Storm skipper remains unsigned seven weeks after the grand final loss to the Roosters, with the parties yet to come to terms ahead of his scheduled return to pre-season.

Fairfax Media can reveal Melbourne are attempting to move on several contracted players in a bid to extend Smith’s career into an 18th season. Former New Zealand international Sam Kasiano, fellow forward Patrick Kaufusi and utility back Cheyse Blair are among the players the club is willing to release to free up the funds required to allow Smith to become the first man to break the magical 400-game mark.

Kasiano is the biggest-name player deemed surplus to requirements. The former Bulldog still has two years to go on his Melbourne contract, but the club is prepared to pay a portion of his freight should another club attempt to accommodate him. It is understood the Warriors have expressed some interest, although their own salary cap issues mean a player swap is probably their best chance of fitting him in.

At his best, Kasiano is one of the most destructive front-rowers in the game. However, he made just 14 appearances in an injury-plagued first season at the Storm.

The Melbourne hierarchy is still hopeful Smith will lead them into the 2019 season, although it is understood there are some third-party arrangements that need to be resolved. The Victorian outfit desperately needs his experience after losing superstars Cooper Cronk and Slater in the space of 12 months and can ill afford to lose another marquee man.

Addo-Carr said he was hopeful a deal will be struck shortly.

“I haven’t spoken to Smithy since Mad Monday, he’s having a good time with his family,” Addo-Carr said.

“I suppose a decision will come up in the next couple of weeks. It depends on how happy he is and I believe he is happy.

“I hope he signs for the next five years. He is the best player in the world. It depends on how his body pulls up. I’ve got no doubt he’ll play.”

The Storm’s other retention priority is Cameron Munster. The Queensland and Australian representative is off contract but has agreed to terms on a new long-term deal. That has left the Storm with little wiggle room in the cap, even after the departure of Tim Glasby to Newcastle and the retirements of Ryan Hoffman and Slater.

Coach Craig Bellamy faces a huge call on who will replace Slater in the No.1 jersey. While Munster plays his representative football at pivot he is viable option, as is Jahrome Hughes and Ryan Papenhuyzen. A left-field alternative is Addo-Carr, with the NSW winger revealing he would be amenable to the move.

“I’d love to take up the challenge,” Addo-Carr said.

“It depends on what the coaches want, if the coaches said to trial at fullback, I will.

“I’ve played everywhere in the back line. No one can compete with Billy, you’ve got to be very fit to play fullback.

“I don’t see why not. The coaches can chuck me in at fullback at training and I’ll see how I go.
“We’ve got Scott Drinkwater and Jahrome Hughes coming through who play fullback, so I’m happy where I’m at. If the coach wants me to play fullback, I’ll play fullback.”
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can get rid of Sam but anyone else I’ll be pissed off

Is it worth it keeping Cam for a year when we could lose so many player to do so
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pretty sure looking to release Blair and Kasiano has nothing to do with Smith at all. If we're in some of cap hell with this roster though that is an issue.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Pretty sure looking to release Blair and Kasiano has nothing to do with Smith at all. If we're in some of cap hell with this roster though that is an issue.
Blazza18 I agree with you. In the last 12 months we have lost Cronk and Slater who both would have been on significant salaries. Whilst we have re-signed a number of our young guns on increased deals but the recruits we have made aren't big names.
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Unless we paid overs for Sam. Based on his season I'd say even 100k would have been overs
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

scriptyx wrote:Unless we paid overs for Sam. Based on his season I'd say even 100k would have been overs
Am I mistaken or were the figures being thrown around close to $800K per year for Kasiano?
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:
scriptyx wrote:Unless we paid overs for Sam. Based on his season I'd say even 100k would have been overs
Am I mistaken or were the figures being thrown around close to $800K per year for Kasiano?
I’m pretty sure the Bulldogs are paying most of Kasiano’s contract still.

Please get rid of Cheyse, please. I would keep Pat tho but with Tino coming along and Vete there I think he is pretty far down the line and I don’t see him playing much first grade at the Storm
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He had 3/2.1 left on his contract . Not sure how much they were still putting in. Was a terrible signing either way.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It's funny (to me) the negativity towards Kasiano. He adds punch that others don't, he has suffered injuries, he doesn't have the highest work rate and yes, suspensions - which is part of the known cost. I think he has plenty to offer and I believe his attitude can and is changing. I also wonder if the supercoach has given him enough opportunities, but yes, who am I to question the supercaoch? There's plenty different we all think we'd do on game day.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think he, as well as Chambers need to fix their discipline if they are to stay in first grade next season.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I wonder if we have leaked this to the media in an effort to get Cam to settle for less? "Are you sure you want us to ship off 3 players to accommodate you, Cam?"
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sad state of affairs if it's come to that
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's a massive shame that we are in the position we are.

Based on the media stories and social media commentary (even from our own fans) the focus is on Cam being "greedy" because he hasn't just accepted what was offered up. Zero consideration as to whether he has been offered what a player of his calibre deserves - even putting aside his loyalty, unbelievable committment and what he has done for the club and game over the most decorated career the game has ever seen.

He won the Dally M only last year. This year he was still winning games for us off his own back.

Consider what his "peers" are being paid;
DCE is getting $1.3M
Ben Hunt - $1.2M
Ash Taylor - $1M
Jack Bird - $1M
Sam Burgess - $1M
Angus Crighton - $1M
Cooper Cronk - $1M
KEIREN FORAN! - $1M
Shaun Johnson - $1M
Anthony Milford - $1M
Michael Morgan - $1M
Mitchell Pearce - $1M
Matt Moylan - $900K
Corey Norman - $900K

Someone explain to me how Cameron f*cking Smith is not worth a million dollars a year!???