Billy set to announce retirement

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our favourite son has apparently taken a Leadership Mentoring role at St Kilda, similar to what Maxwell did with us a few years back.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m actually I’m shock haha I did not see that coming...I think I love it
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great get by Saints. You’d find few ex players in any code with better credentials to advise on leadership.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

As a long-suffering Saints fan, I am absolutely stoked by this appointment.

I have just been over in the Saints fan website , to see the reaction there. I was a bit concerned they would be a bit negative, but on the contrary, there is huge recognition of his talent, work ethic and positive image. They recognise that he will command great respect from the players and will lift the professionalism at the club.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-10-1 ... h-st-kilda

Billy Slater is with St Kilda
saints.com.au
October 10, 2018

St Kilda Football Club is excited to announce the addition of Billy Slater to the club’s football program.

The recently-retired Melbourne Storm superstar will be heavily involved with the Saints’ leadership and development programs through a newly-created role.

Regarded as one of the NRL’s greatest players and one of the key leaders of Melbourne Storm’s revered culture, Slater will work closely with all players, coaches and high-performance staff at the Saints.

The part-time position will see him play a mentoring role with the club’s leaders, while also imparting his views and experiences in relation to professionalism, training standards and match-day performance across the whole playing group.

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said Slater’s appointment was a major coup for the club.

“Billy’s sporting resume is second to none, and he will add great value to our club,” Lethlean said.

“He’s been an impressive leader in his own right, but he’s also been a key member of a culture that is highly respected across all sports.

“Over the course of the season, we identified that there was an opportunity to strengthen our leadership and development programs, and we think Billy can play an important role in that.

“He will work closely with our current leaders as well as our emerging leaders to help them develop their leadership capacity and optimise their professionalism and performance.”

Slater is expected to the begin the part-time role early in the pre-season.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Awesome news.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good on him and I'm sure he'll bring plenty to the Saints, especially given they've lost plenty of old heads in recent seasons and are rebuilding. As a Pies fan I'd have loved him to go there but great to see the AFL clubs are seeing what the NRL clubs/players have to offer just as we have from them over the years.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So I never followed AFL growing up (Western Sydney - RL is life) and as a result, have had a hard time as an adult attaching myself emotionally to an AFL team. I enjoy the game itself and spent a few years in Adelaide going to Crows games regularly but it was just never even close to the same feeling as supporting the Storm... This might give me the draw I need to start following a team.

Whilst I don't doubt the intent of Billy's use at the club to help out with leadership, culture and professional approach - the potential to use Billy's standing in NRL and Australian Sport, for the Saints to engage with a new fan base was probably appealing too.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just saw Saints social media team welcoming all Storm fans on board :lol:
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote:Just saw Saints social media team welcoming all Storm fans on board :lol:
Makes sense.

Storm should be playing that game both ways.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

St Kilda = The Party Boys, Billy has a lot of history to overcome. Good luck to him.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... aami-park/

Billy Slater immortalised at AAMI Park
melbournestorm.com.au
Mon 11 Mar 2019

illy Slater will be forever present at Melbourne Storm matches at AAMI Park after the Club today announced the naming of the Northern Stand in his name.

The Slater Stand will be officially revealed prior to Storm’s opening match against the Broncos this Thursday at AAMI Park.

“Billy’s impact on the Storm has been enormous on and off the field,” Storm CEO, Dave Donaghy, said.

“His on-field records speak volumes, but he has also helped rugby league become part of the morning chat in coffee shops, schools, board rooms and shop floors across the state.

“Storm members and fans love him, and the Melbourne public have embraced him so much that the boy from Innisfail in Queensland now calls Victoria home.

“There was very little discussion needed when we first flagged the idea with the stadium. They were very supportive and as a Club we are proud to give fans the chance to sit in the Slater Stand forever for every game we play here.”

Donaghy also announced that 319 lucky fans could buy a ticket into the Slater Stand for $1 this week when Billy and his family are there to witness the reveal of the stand. The number of $1 tickets available reflects Slater’s record of games played in the purple jersey with the Storm.

“To have a stand with my name on it at my home ground is something very special and humbling,” Slater said.

“It’s certainly not something I thought about when the Storm gave me an opportunity to play here back in 2002.

“I’ve always wanted to be a one-club player and I am thankful to have been able to do that here in Melbourne. I love this Club and I love being able to build a future here in Victoria with my family.”

The naming of the ‘Slater Stand’ follows the Victorian Government’s announcement of a statue of Slater to be permanently placed outside of AAMI Park alongside Storm Captain, Cameron Smith.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A great honour for a true legend of the game.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>