Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We need to all remember that it's quite likely that Billy retires this year, and Munster has long been flagged as moving back to fullback when he does. In that case - Austin would be a very good like for like replacement at 6 for Munster.
I think it more comes down to where we see Jahrome fitting in long term... maybe he is being groomed as a long term halfback to play beside a running 6?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We've got/had so many fullbacks in the system. I'm surprised we haven't taken one through the Cooper Cronk halfback development program. We could use a game manager type in the worst way.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:We need to all remember that it's quite likely that Billy retires this year, and Munster has long been flagged as moving back to fullback when he does. In that case - Austin would be a very good like for like replacement at 6 for Munster.
I think it more comes down to where we see Jahrome fitting in long term... maybe he is being groomed as a long term halfback to play beside a running 6?
Personally...that's the role I'd like to see Hughes fill...a running 6 playing next to a game organizing/managing 7 (who also takes on the line regularly !! )

Hughes' ball playing skills, electric pace, evasion techniques would make him a brilliant 6 imho.

but hey...that's why I do what I do everyday (which isn't coaching an NRL team)....so I'm sure Craig has all the angles sussed out already...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Hughes plays both atQ Cup level
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I would keep Hughes in the side over Austin. Watching them both this year Hughes has been effective at injecting himself into the game while both Austin and Sezer have had troubles putting their stamp on the game. After so many years of first grade that's something they should be able to do by now: although a portion of the blame for that has to sit with the coach.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:I think Hughes plays both atQ Cup level
plus he's as tough as nail and harder than a cat's head...and any other strong man analogy you can think of ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I would have Jahrome Hughes over Blake Austin for sure. Jahrome has a huge upside, and a level head.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Jahrome Hughes is a gun
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:Calling it now - we end up signing a half prior to the cut off date. Old, young, from England, whatever as long as there’s an NRL background, I can see it happening.

Getting close...
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

5 days to cut off
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

nacho wrote:
nacho wrote:Calling it now - we end up signing a half prior to the cut off date. Old, young, from England, whatever as long as there’s an NRL background, I can see it happening.

Getting close...
Is it one of the English players who played in Denver?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Dave Donaghy has said we have opened preliminary talks with Smithy about extending.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

17 players off contract this year :o

Sandor Earl
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
Sale Finau
Louis Geraghty
Harry Grant
Ryan Hoffman
Ryley Jacks
Cooper Johns
Tui Kamikamica
Kayleb Milne
Justin Olam
Junior Ratuvu
Billy Slater
Cameron Smith
Shem Tatupu
Lachlan Timms
Billy Walters

Fair to say that we can expect a fair amount of turnover.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pretty sure Tatupu is gone already
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Outside of the captain, is there anyone else on the list who we would even want to (or should) play first grade next season?

Fully understand some will be signed for depth/development etc.